The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

I am going to be that guy. I never understood the love for Scarface. It was "ok", but definitely overrated.

It's up there for me with the original Robo Cop for getting a good belly laugh. I guess you have to not be a movie critic, and just enjoy the humour, whether it was intended to be apparent or not.

Straight Outta Compton: 6.5/10

Decent for those interested in the time, but for a movie that's two and a half hours long, I felt like I was being sold an image rather than being told a "real" fleshed out story -- could the story have been any more of a concerted effort to make Dr. Dre look like a good dude and conflicted businessman destined for greatness? At first I didn't think I'd really notice or care about the movie leaving out his abusive relationships or his supposedly intense alcoholism, but when he would string himself to the cross from time to time for the good of the label or group "IM TRYIN TO WORK & U GUYS JUST WANNA PARTY" and "YEAH OK EAZY-E, YOU CAN BE FEATURED ON THIS FINAL TRACK SINCE YOU CAME CRAWLING BACK TO ME" - i sorta roll my eyes.

Speaking of eye-rolling, if the closing lines of the movie ("...Aftermath") don't make you cringe, then you've already sipped the Kool-Aid. As if Suge Knight is the villain of the film and Dre the doe-eyed underdog, lmao

MC Ren, who wrote almost half of the album that the movie is literally named after, barely has more than 2 or 3 lines in the entire script. Why is that? DJ Yella, the album's CO-PRODUCER, is a fringe figure as well.

This is a Dr. Dre vanity project, and a decent-at-best movie IMO

• Upvote 1

Finished my run of Parks & Rec. All 7 seasons, started back in February. 8/10.

Overall, very very solid. The best mainstream network comedy I've watched since Arrested Development. I couldn't help but compare it to 30 Rock, especially early on, but I think the reason this ultimately won is that I actually cared about the characters, whereas 30R's never rose above caricaturization.

There was a noticeable dip in quality in seasons 5+6. Seemed much more scripted with less improv insanity. I think a lot of that was Rob Lowe's character, who I didn't mind initially, but once he was paired up with Ann, every episode they had their own subplot stuffed with cuteness. Glad I hung in there - season 7 was a masterpiece. Moving the story ahead a few years was smart, made it almost it's own mini-series. Also it's rare for a comedy show to have its best episode so late, but the Johnny Karate Special so perfectly encapsulated everything they'd been working toward that I literally applauded afterward.

Its too bad that the careers of Pacino and DeNiro have taken such dramatic downswings that I immediately avoid any movie they are currently in.

I cannot remember the last Pacino film I liked. Didn't like Heat that much, to be honest. Might be Dog Day Afternoon, which is also overrated. As for De Niro, his last staring role I liked him in may have been Raging Bull. They have both really taken a turn for the unwatchable.

i think Raging Bull might be my all-time favourite lead performance, to be honest. If not my #1, then easily top 3.

I wonder if he and Pacino made really poor financial decisions in their younger days, or are they just cashing in for their family. very strange film choices for well over 15 years now, when they should have had their pick of the litter for scripts one would think.

as much as I miss Joe Pesci, you gotta respect him for not taking that route

I cannot remember the last Pacino film I liked. Didn't like Heat that much, to be honest. Might be Dog Day Afternoon, which is also overrated. As for De Niro, his last staring role I liked him in may have been Raging Bull. They have both really taken a turn for the unwatchable.

Last Pacino film I can say I really liked was Insomnia (can't believe it's really been 13 years since that came out).

The thing is, even if a person didn't care too much for Heat, Scent of a Woman, Donnie Brasco, The Insider, etc., they were still decent movies. And Pacino was alright in them. Most of the negative talk about them is simply backlash from them being overrated. But over the last decade, almost every Pacino performance and the entire movie surrounding it has been absolute dogs***.

De Niro has been just as terrible most of the time, but in the same time frame he still managed to sneak in the odd watchable role/movie (Silver Linings Playbook, Limitless, Everybody's Fine, etc.). Again, even if you thought some of those were overrated (I did), they were at the very least decent.

do you guys have a fav. performance?

I don't usually give that sort of thing too much thought, but the one that jumps out at me the most was Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs.

And it's hard for me to think of many performances that hold up to what Heath Ledger did with The Joker.

Last Pacino film I can say I really liked was Insomnia (can't believe it's really been 13 years since that came out).

Totally forgot about Insomnia and, as you said, The Insider. Both really solid films. Take what I initially said back.

do you guys have a fav. performance?

Hmm, haven't thought about it in a while.

Even though Gangs of New York is a subpar film, Daniel Day Lewis made it watchable. But certainly not my favourite performance. Speaking of DDL, probably the best performance of all time is his portrayal of Christy Brown in My Left Foot. Again, not my personal favourite performance, but he is unbelievable in that. Truly amazing.

Have a place in my heart for every person who acted in The Big Lebowski. Perfectly cast all around.

D-Money mentioned Ledger in The Dark Knight. While it was a very good film already, he took it to another level. When I think Joker, I always believed Mark Hamill's portrayal in the animated series was the best interpretation of the character. And while Hamill's portrayal is still great, Ledger is easily the benchmark from here on in.

But honestly, at this point, I'm thinking it's Tom Hardy's role in Bronson. Hardy immediately cemented himself as the future of Hollywood in Bronson. I was absolutely blown away by what I was seeing on the screen. Hardy is, without a doubt, the gold standard for acting now (except for that little hiccup in This Means War). Otherwise, Bronson IS acting at it's finest.

Edited by Monty

LOVE & MERCY: 7.5/10

Despite only being 1 point higher than Straight Outta Compton, this is a significantly better music biopic. It's like a dual narrative of Brian Wilson (Beach Boys, for you unwashed fools). One narrative has Paul Dano playing the young, tortured, recreational drug-abusing songwriting genius, and the other narrative is John Cusack playing the older, more prescription-drug abused love figure.

Anyway, a very solid biopic. Doesn't really have much of an emotional kick (I personally find the relationship sorta difficult to believe). I wish it had been more focused on the songwriting, although the love story and Wilson's very unhealthy relationship with his "therapist" was interesting, it just wasn't Pet Sounds interesting.

I had to google 'Great actor performances', because its not something that I could recall from memory.

Of the numerous lists out there, a few stood out to me:

Christopher Walz in Inglorious Basterds

Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest (I also really liked Nicholson in The Departed)

Christian Bale - The Fighter

Deniro and Walken in Deer Hunter

I had to google 'Great actor performances', because its not something that I could recall from memory.

Of the numerous lists out there, a few stood out to me:

Christopher Walz in Inglorious Basterds

Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest (I also really liked Nicholson in The Departed)

Christian Bale - The Fighter

Deniro and Walken in Deer Hunter

Jack Nicholson in pretty much anything, really. I love that guy

DeNiro in Taxi Driver.

Penelope Cruz in Volver. I think overall this is my favourite. She is so natural.

Vincent Cassel in Irreversible. Most of the movie was improvised.

Min-sik Choi in Old Boy.

still haven't seen Volver, I should check that out. Almodovar has more indie cred than almost everyone in the film industry