The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

2017 Movie List. Still need to see a few more and then can spend time listing in order. Here’s what I have seen that I quite enjoyed:

Dunkirk

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri 

The Big Sick

Get Out

Baby Driver

Okja

Blade Runner 2049

Still need to see:

Lady Bird

The Shape of Water

Good Time

Phantom Thread

Molly’s Game

The Darkest Hour

Wind River

Overrated:

Wonder Woman

Logan

Guardians 2

It

Garbage:

Bright :lol: 

Alien: Again

Forgettable:

Trainspotting 2

Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Logan Lucky

Atomic Blonde

Another LEGO film

Great Shlock:

Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

• Cheers 4

My 2017 List (in no particular order)

Dunkirk

Blade Runner 2049

Thor: Ragnarok

Wind River

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri

Still havnt seen the new Apes film, Atomic Blonde or Killing of a Sacred Deer. 

Im surprised by the number of movies I saw in theater.  If you can afford it I highly recommend finding a buddy who will go see anything.  Im looking forward to 2018.

Top Movies of 2017:

#1: Dunkirk. Maybe the best War movie I've ever seen.

#2: Get Out

#3: The Big Sick. A heartfelt comedy that is actually heartfelt? Didn't think these actually existed. 

#4: Blade Runner. I didn't even like it that much because it was too long, but appreciate the world Denis Villeneuve created. If they weren't already before this, his movies are now "must watch"

#5: John Wick 2. I'll probably take some heat for this, but this movie was exactly what it wanted to be.

Honorable Mentions: Wind River.Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Mississippi (would have been top 5 if they explored the background of characters more). I, Tonya. Thor: Raganourk (If I'm going to blast superhero movies, I've got to give credit where its due, I was entertained). 

Worst of 2017:

#1. Star Wars. How can you throw that much money into something and have it turn out to be a steaming pile of $&!#.

#2. Justice League. See #1.

#3. Guardians of the Galaxy. See #1.

#4: Kong. See #1.

#5: Geostorm. See #1

Haven't Seen:

Okja, Call me By Your Name, Shape of Water, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, Molly's Game.

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

It is the worst movie because, although maybe not as "bad" as others, it did the least with the most. All the resources/money/source material and they shat a brick.

Fair enough.

The Belko Experiment - 5/10

Based on a script by James Gunn, pre Guardians and The Cabin in the Woods. Seen these types of movies before. It was just ok. Could have been a lot worse. It was gross, but not too gross.

On 2018-01-08 at 2:30 PM, Down by the River said:

All the resources/money/source material and they shat a brick.

Was thinking more on this, and reminds me of something Red Letter Media brought up when they reviewed Rogue One.

Basically, their argument/revelation was that Star Wars is a very small universe. We think it’s large, because it includes space and planets. But when you think about it, it HAS to have light sabers, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, AT-AT Walkers, light side, dark side. The moment they detract from that, that’s when it doesn’t feel like Star Wars, and then the keyboard warriors rub Cheetos on their shirt and have a field day.

I truly feel that Rian Johnson was in a no win situation. He was given no direction as to where the characters and the story were headed, so he had the impossible task of coming up with a middle movie that moved the “plot” forward, even though Disney didn’t have a plan/end in store for episode 9. But, he had to include the Force, light sabers, and new toys to market that didn’t make sense (Porgs :picard: ). Basically, an absolute mess from start to finish.

I really like Rian Johnson, and his work on Looper, Brick, along with a few great Breaking Bad episodes (and what’s looked at as the series’ best episode), so I believe that he will be able to craft a “new” trilogy of Star Wars that will take the universe into a new direction. Finally. Because right now, there isn’t much from the source material to make it interesting, because they just keep building on the Skywalker story.

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Was thinking more on this, and reminds me of something Red Letter Media brought up when they reviewed Rogue One.

Basically, their argument/revelation was that Star Wars is a very small universe. We think it’s large, because it includes space and planets. But when you think about it, it HAS to have light sabers, X-Wings, Tie Fighters, AT-AT Walkers, light side, dark side. The moment they detract from that, that’s when it doesn’t feel like Star Wars, and then the keyboard warriors rub Cheetos on their shirt and have a field day.

I truly feel that Rian Johnson was in a no win situation. He was given no direction as to where the characters and the story were headed, so he had the impossible task of coming up with a middle movie that moved the “plot” forward, even though Disney didn’t have a plan/end in store for episode 9. But, he had to include the Force, light sabers, and new toys to market that didn’t make sense (Porgs :picard: ). Basically, an absolute mess from start to finish.

I really like Rian Johnson, and his work on Looper, Brick, along with a few great Breaking Bad episodes (and what’s looked at as the series’ best episode), so I believe that he will be able to craft a “new” trilogy of Star Wars that will take the universe into a new direction. Finally. Because right now, there isn’t much from the source material to make it interesting, because they just keep building on the Skywalker story.

But there were actually like dozens of books written that expanded on the initial movies... or so says my nerdy wife.  

7 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

But there were actually like dozens of books written that expanded on the initial movies... or so says my nerdy wife.  

I read two of them when I was a kid. They’re awful. Those books are awful :lol: 

The Shape Of Water 

Great performances by Richard Jenkins, Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, and the whole cast of this dark fantasy directed by Guillermo del Toro and is set in the 60's cold war era.

One of my favorites of the year.

21 hours ago, tbone909 said:

The Shape Of Water 

Great performances by Richard Jenkins, Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, and the whole cast of this dark fantasy directed by Guillermo del Toro and is set in the 60's cold war era.

One of my favorites of the year.

Ive been avoiding it even though Im a huge Michael Shannon fan- the trailer made me feel bad lol

Also, I had no idea Miguel Ferrer died in 2017.   I always loved seeing him in movies growing up.  

57 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Ive been avoiding it even though Im a huge Michael Shannon fan- the trailer made me feel bad lol

Also, I had no idea Miguel Ferrer died in 2017.   I always loved seeing him in movies growing up.  

i like shannon too, but i'm guessing he made some bad bets or somehow found himself in uncomfortable debt recently. dude is taking on some really, really questionable roles lately

(12 strong?!?!?)

5 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Has anyone checked out Potterville?

I saw that it was on Netflix the other day. Does not look good.

However, Michael Shannon is still a better bet than most other actors. So I can forgive every bad movie or two that he’s in.