The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

11 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

That part made total sense to me. I thought TFA hinted that she was in fact nobody if anything. There was one scene were Maz Kanata literally said her family is never coming back. 

That, and whatever character Simon Pegg played (Unker Pluck????), you know, the fat alien that traded food for parts on her sand planet. It was his hand that was holding onto her as a young child as the ship flew away. And he didn’t treat her with any kindness whatsoever in TFA. The reveal who her parents are was pretty clear from the get go.

Star Wars The Last Jedi: 7.5/10

Spoiler

I thought the movie was decent. It was really different than what I had imagined. The first 30-45 minutes of the movie were a bit too cheesy for my liking with all the jokes and stuff. The dialogue was decent and the punchlines were great. Found it hilariously when R2D2 showed Luke the hologram of Leia's plea to Obi Wan and Luke said "cheapshot". 

One thing I also really liked is that I'm glad that they killed off Snoke. Would like a little backstory of Snoke however  for Episode 9 and just briefly explain how he was able to manipulate Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and where he came from in the first place. Driver, again, was one of the standouts of this film. I liked how they moved from the Snoke thing and turned Kylo into this nefarious, evil supreme leader, no longer this amateur and unseasoned padawan. 

I also liked how dramatic things were especially when Kylo used the force to ignite Rey's lightsaber that was sitting on the side with Snoke too preoccupied and too full of himself, unaware of what was about to happen. And then right after Rey and Kylo team up to defeat the praetorian guards. But the whole time that battle was going on, everyone's mind was whether or not Rey would join Kylo. Needless to say, both had different ideas and that tug of war of Rey's (Anakin's) light-saber and it cracking really reeled me in. It made me go damn, that was the same lightsaber that Anakin used when he was a jedi, the same lightsaber he used to duel Obi Wan which then went through all sorts of adventures and then finally ending up on Luke's hands etc etc. Now it's gone for good. Nothing but the past. 

A few cons:

Firstly, one of the things that ruined the movie for me was when Admiral Holdo chose to stay behind with the rebel ship and then used hyperspace to deliberately crash into the First Order ship that was gunning down the fleeing rebel jets that had abandoned minutes earlier. It's like wait, why didn't the rebels think of hyperspacing a ship into the Death Star way before? This scene kind of broke Star Wars for me. 

Another thing that really bugged me is that Leia should have died during this film!!!!!!!! They had such great opportunities to kill Leia, hell even peacefully. Carrie Fisher (RIP) had begun only modest of scenes done for Episode 9 and following her death they had to re-do the entire script. They said they won't CGI Leia so I'm assuming they're gonna have a time lapse of possibly some where around 4-5 years passed and have Leia die somewhere in between then. They've also stated Leia will NOT be part of episode 9 link. Would have made sense to just finish her off.

This movie was also way too long. I hated the entire Finn and Rose scenes at that planet but without those scenes none of the scenes after would have been possible hence why it had to be there. And I didn't like the Rose/Finn relationship. It seemed really cringey. Finn clearly has his minds set on Rey meanwhile we have Rose fangirlling Finn and just being really flirtatious which I thought was NOT appropriate due to the circumstances they were in. When Rose saved Finn from suicide-ing into the laser beam, I didn't like the scenes right after ESPECIALLY when Rose elevated herself over and kissed Finn in lips and then just fell back and went unconscious. It was sort of that "um, that's kinda awkward" moment which even Finn feels. I felt really blank, felt no sort of emotion at all.

The last con was the ending. What a real pathetic ending to Luke Skywalker, who was supposed to be this powerful, all knowing Jedi who ends up being a coward and a selfish old piece sack of crap. Was expecting a real final battle between the two with Skywalker schooling Ren. Luke still schools Ren in a way with that force illusion but I felt like Leia should have been the one that died and Luke the one who survives for episode 9. Was very unclear whether his force illusion took a greater toll on his body and he couldn't recover from it or he willfully took his own life to become one with the force, which I have a feeling is the latter.

All in all, it was a good movie with it's fair share of ups and downs. Watched it on Monday, had a few days to really dissect. Obviously during the theaters I was like "man this was the best star wars movie of all time" but after really analyzing the movie and breaking it down, it did leave a lot to be desired. Would recommend this movie obviously if you're a real star wars fan. If you've never watched Star wars before then you should probably watch it chronologically before you watch the Last Jedi which is the 9th installment of all Star wars movies there is.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Odd. said:

Star Wars The Last Jedi: 7.5/10

Hide contents

I thought the movie was decent. It was really different than what I had imagined. The first 30-45 minutes of the movie were a bit too cheesy for my liking with all the jokes and stuff. The dialogue was decent and the punchlines were great. Found it hilariously when R2D2 showed Luke the hologram of Leia's plea to Obi Wan and Luke said "cheapshot". 

One thing I also really liked is that I'm glad that they killed off Snoke. Would like a little backstory of Snoke however  for Episode 9 and just briefly explain how he was able to manipulate Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) and where he came from in the first place. Driver, again, was one of the standouts of this film. I liked how they moved from the Snoke thing and turned Kylo into this nefarious, evil supreme leader, no longer this amateur and unseasoned padawan. 

I also liked how dramatic things were especially when Kylo used the force to ignite Rey's lightsaber that was sitting on the side with Snoke too preoccupied and too full of himself, unaware of what was about to happen. And then right after Rey and Kylo team up to defeat the praetorian guards. But the whole time that battle was going on, everyone's mind was whether or not Rey would join Kylo. Needless to say, both had different ideas and that tug of war of Rey's (Anakin's) light-saber and it cracking really reeled me in. It made me go damn, that was the same lightsaber that Anakin used when he was a jedi, the same lightsaber he used to duel Obi Wan which then went through all sorts of adventures and then finally ending up on Luke's hands etc etc. Now it's gone for good. Nothing but the past. 

A few cons:

Firstly, one of the things that ruined the movie for me was when Admiral Holdo chose to stay behind with the rebel ship and then used hyperspace to deliberately crash into the First Order ship that was gunning down the fleeing rebel jets that had abandoned minutes earlier. It's like wait, why didn't the rebels think of hyperspacing a ship into the Death Star way before? This scene kind of broke Star Wars for me. 

Another thing that really bugged me is that Leia should have died during this film!!!!!!!! They had such great opportunities to kill Leia, hell even peacefully. Carrie Fisher (RIP) had begun only modest of scenes done for Episode 9 and following her death they had to re-do the entire script. They said they won't CGI Leia so I'm assuming they're gonna have a time lapse of possibly some where around 4-5 years passed and have Leia die somewhere in between then. They've also stated Leia will NOT be part of episode 9 link. Would have made sense to just finish her off.

This movie was also way too long. I hated the entire Finn and Rose scenes at that planet but without those scenes none of the scenes after would have been possible hence why it had to be there. And I didn't like the Rose/Finn relationship. It seemed really cringey. Finn clearly has his minds set on Rey meanwhile we have Rose fangirlling Finn and just being really flirtatious which I thought was NOT appropriate due to the circumstances they were in. When Rose saved Finn from suicide-ing into the laser beam, I didn't like the scenes right after ESPECIALLY when Rose elevated herself over and kissed Finn in lips and then just fell back and went unconscious. It was sort of that "um, that's kinda awkward" moment which even Finn feels. I felt really blank, felt no sort of emotion at all.

The last con was the ending. What a real pathetic ending to Luke Skywalker, who was supposed to be this powerful, all knowing Jedi who ends up being a coward and a selfish old piece sack of crap. Was expecting a real final battle between the two with Skywalker schooling Ren. Luke still schools Ren in a way with that force illusion but I felt like Leia should have been the one that died and Luke the one who survives for episode 9. Was very unclear whether his force illusion took a greater toll on his body and he couldn't recover from it or he willfully took his own life to become one with the force, which I have a feeling is the latter.

All in all, it was a good movie with it's fair share of ups and downs. Watched it on Monday, had a few days to really dissect. Obviously during the theaters I was like "man this was the best star wars movie of all time" but after really analyzing the movie and breaking it down, it did leave a lot to be desired. Would recommend this movie obviously if you're a real star wars fan. If you've never watched Star wars before then you should probably watch it chronologically before you watch the Last Jedi which is the 9th installment of all Star wars movies there is.

I couldn't agree more that ending Leia's story in respects to her and how Luke's end came should have been switched. I as well as some enjoyed this movie very much and unfortunately have been left with more questions than answers that I felt should have been answered during this episode. But it's meant to be told over multiple movies so here's hoping next one fills in some blanks.

• Upvote 1

i admit i'm pretty jaded and usually only ha-ha laugh at a certain type of humour, but how can some people find the last jedi.. funny? man, that prank phone call thing had me shriveling in my seat more than my excessively salty popcorn did - and even the small "jokes" like luke throwing his lightsaber were silly to me. but some people in the audience were about to fall over they found it so funny (slight exaggeration)

i sorta get trying to 'update' the humor, since the original trilogy had a pretty subtle-but-definitely-there approach to humour, and the new star wars universe is trying to be thuper duper inclusive and invite the lowest common denominator in. but oh man, seeing rian johnson defend his use of humour ("offset the serious themes") is just a little too much for me, especially since the "serious" themes are buried under noise and multiple narratives driven by deus ex machina-like plot devices. i mean, even when you pull the themes out, it's sorta just like... ok, and? totally unrewarding. so using humour to offset something that doesn't have much of an impact in the first place just makes the humour itself stand out even worse

the more i think about this movie, the more i realize i may not have liked it at all and i fell into the notorious nostalgia trap. or maybe i've just been reading/hearing so much negative fanboy reaction that i'm starting to agree with the cynicism. i can't even tell anymore more, but i'll definitely give it another watch just to see

Edited by GLASSJAW

2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

man, that prank phone call thing had me shriveling in my seat more than my excessively salty popcorn did - and even the small "jokes" like luke throwing his lightsaber were silly to me. but some people in the audience were about to fall over they found it so funny (slight exaggeration)

The phone call thing didn’t even make sense. They may as well have thrown in an Internet Dial-Up tone joke there, too. That would have made equal amount of sense.

As for the lightsaber joke? That didn’t land as a joke or within character. Considering how Luke was throughout the movie, it would have made far more sense for him to simply not take the space sword and walk past her. If not that, then the next option should have been him dropping the lightsaber and walking past her. But even then, considering he’s supposed to be rejecting the force altogether, not touching it and walking past her and then subsequently “shutting her out” would have fit the narrative that followed.

I was in a packed theatre. And I was honestly shocked that nobody was laughing at either of those parts. There were a few audible groans at the phone bit.

46 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

i admit i'm pretty jaded and usually only ha-ha laugh at a certain type of humour, but how can some people find the last jedi.. funny? man, that prank phone call thing had me shriveling in my seat more than my excessively salty popcorn did - and even the small "jokes" like luke throwing his lightsaber were silly to me. but some people in the audience were about to fall over they found it so funny (slight exaggeration)

i sorta get trying to 'update' the humor, since the original trilogy had a pretty subtle-but-definitely-there approach to humour, and the new star wars universe is trying to be thuper duper inclusive and invite the lowest common denominator in. but oh man, seeing rian johnson defend his use of humour ("offset the serious themes") is just a little too much for me, especially since the "serious" themes are buried under noise and multiple narratives driven by deus ex machina-like plot devices. i mean, even when you pull the themes out, it's sorta just like... ok, and? totally unrewarding. so using humour to offset something that doesn't have much of an impact in the first place just makes the humour itself stand out even worse

the more i think about this movie, the more i realize i may not have liked it at all and i fell into the notorious nostalgia trap. or maybe i've just been reading/hearing so much negative fanboy reaction that i'm starting to agree with the cynicism. i can't even tell anymore more, but i'll definitely give it another watch just to see

Yeah some of that humour was actually really unsettling let alone not even funny. 

I want to like the movie too. Like really bad, because there's certain things I love but there's so much wrong. I'm being torn apart. I want to be free from this pain. :P

Star Wars The Last Jedi: 3/10

Just watched it, and I wish I didn't. I went in to the theater with fairly low expectations, because of the fan backlash, and expected a better movie than what a lot of fans had stated. I had the same low expectations for The Force Awakens and left the theater pleasantly surprised, not the case for TLJ.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

The phone call thing didn’t even make sense. They may as well have thrown in an Internet Dial-Up tone joke there, too. That would have made equal amount of sense.

As for the lightsaber joke? That didn’t land as a joke or within character. Considering how Luke was throughout the movie, it would have made far more sense for him to simply not take the space sword and walk past her. If not that, then the next option should have been him dropping the lightsaber and walking past her. But even then, considering he’s supposed to be rejecting the force altogether, not touching it and walking past her and then subsequently “shutting her out” would have fit the narrative that followed.

I was in a packed theatre. And I was honestly shocked that nobody was laughing at either of those parts. There were a few audible groans at the phone bit.

I frickin forgot about that Luke throwing the lightsaber away. I heard a "the hell?" from someone when that happened. I for one didn't like that either and had a similar reaction.

Neither did Mark Hamill. Apparently Hamill said it himself that he didn't like the part where he had to throw the lightsaber behind him like that but they made him do it. 

There were a lot of things Hamill and the co disagreed on. A lot actually. That was an evident example.  I mean I wouldn't mind if he were to lightly throw it aside rather than just chucking it behind him like that. 

9 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I frickin forgot about that Luke throwing the lightsaber away. I heard a "the hell?" from someone when that happened. I for one didn't like that either and had a similar reaction.

Neither did Mark Hamill. Apparently Hamill said it himself that he didn't like the part where he had to throw the lightsaber behind him like that but they made him do it. 

There were a lot of things Hamill and the co disagreed on. A lot actually. That was an evident example.  I mean I wouldn't mind if he were to lightly throw it aside rather than just chucking it behind him like that. 

Footage of what I can assume is Mark Hamill after reading the script.

Spoiler

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

My friend gave me a review of Star Wars.

He had me dying laughing, He was sooo bent out of shape and complaining about the movie.

He would not stop about  a 'Space Walrus' or something? Anyway it sounds really dumb, I just have to see it now.

Fair warning. The dumb and confusing stuff isn’t “ha ha” funny. It’s far more “funny” in afterwards when you talk to others about it and break down all the confusing parts. But it’s not on the level of “so bad it’s funny”.

The movie falls into a new category. The “so confused as to why this is happening that I’m bored”.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Monty said:

Fair warning. The dumb and confusing stuff isn’t “ha ha” funny. It’s far more “funny” in afterwards when you talk to others about it and break down all the confusing parts. But it’s not on the level of “so bad it’s funny”.

The movie falls into a new category. The “so confused as to why this is happening that I’m bored”.

painfully long movie too considering there's so many of those blank scenes

Edited by Odd.

Justice League: 3/10

Henry Cavill's face is god damn hilarious. It looks so warped because of all the CGI. The only good thing about the film was The Flash. Its clear that they wanted Aquaman to be like Thor, but they really just created some guy that seems like he has probably committed several sex crimes.

It is amazing that guys get away with making movies this bad when you consider the size of the budget.

Edited by Down by the River
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Justice League: 3/10

Henry Cavill's face is god damn hilarious. It looks so warped because of all the CGI. The only good thing about the film was The Flash. Its clear that they wanted Aquaman to be like Thor, but they really just created some guy that seems like he has probably committed several sex crimes.

It is amazing that guys get away with making movies this bad when you consider the size of the budget.

From everything I’ve heard, it sounds like an absolute mess. I’m sure I’ll watch it, but I don’t feel like I need to. More out of curiosity.

• Like 1

On 2017-12-27 at 12:27 AM, Jiggs50 said:

Shot Caller 9/10

Surprisingly good. Also Jon Bernthal has the same freak out scene in all his roles lol

I thought it was horrible..straight to Netflix type flick for when your hungover.