The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Tide Has Turned in Vancouver: A Prediction

King of the ES

I don't know how old you are but your showing great immaturity here. As I've pointed out before and I can even agree that Luongo probably wouldn't rate the situation as a 10/10 but in case you haven't reached 34 yet, by time you do you start learning more about life. This is not something you would let ruin a relationship for at this age. It's called maturity, everyone knows MG is working on making everyone happy. Some things take time and at 34 you don't need to stomp your feet and pout, you realize other people count too. Something you seem to not quite understand.

That should not be a surprise. Of course a rosy picture is going to be painted to the public.

This is the part where you need to activate your common sense. Schneider signed a new contract prior to exposing himself to an offer sheet because he was told that this was his team. He's filling the shoes of the best goalie this organization has ever had, by a mile. That, in itself, is hard enough to do.

But now, he's gotta do it with that same guy looking over his very shoulder on the bench! You can be sure that virtually every single goal that Schneider lets in will be met with the "would Luongo have stopped that?" commentary. If Schneider has a bad game, on comes the "Luongo should be starting!" crowd. The pressure on this kid is unbelievably high. Having Luongo hanging around is not a good thing.

And Luongo is clearly not happy about the situation. Again, common sense needs to apply. He's asked out. He'll be 34 years old in April. Not a lot of time left to try and lead a team to a Cup. Think he's pleased about playing second fiddle to a first-time starter? Think about it. He's also starting to give subtle signals that he wants this taken care of fast. His comment to Lavoie the other day was something to the extent of "I'll stay for this shortened season, but that's it". Something like that, anyway. He is not happy.

For crying out loud, can everyone please stop with the "they're friends" argument? It is just ridiculous. Luongo's 34 years old and will not want to be Schneider's backup. If they are indeed "friends", this is the exact thing that will create a divide in their friendship. Open your eyes! Lu's not going to sacrifice the last few great years in his career to be "a nice guy".

That should not be a surprise. Of course a rosy picture is going to be painted to the public.

This is the part where you need to activate your common sense. Schneider signed a new contract prior to exposing himself to an offer sheet because he was told that this was his team. He's filling the shoes of the best goalie this organization has ever had, by a mile. That, in itself, is hard enough to do.

But now, he's gotta do it with that same guy looking over his very shoulder on the bench! You can be sure that virtually every single goal that Schneider lets in will be met with the "would Luongo have stopped that?" commentary. If Schneider has a bad game, on comes the "Luongo should be starting!" crowd. The pressure on this kid is unbelievably high. Having Luongo hanging around is not a good thing.

And Luongo is clearly not happy about the situation. Again, common sense needs to apply. He's asked out. He'll be 34 years old in April. Not a lot of time left to try and lead a team to a Cup. Think he's pleased about playing second fiddle to a first-time starter? Think about it. He's also starting to give subtle signals that he wants this taken care of fast. His comment to Lavoie the other day was something to the extent of "I'll stay for this shortened season, but that's it". Something like that, anyway. He is not happy.

That's certainly not the only downside. Schneider is not happy with Luongo being here, Luongo is not happy with Luongo being here. I don't care what they say in front of the camera, any reasonable person should be able to figure that out. It's Mark Sanchez & Tim Tebow.

If Schneider is outshone by Luongo, that makes it look stupid to trade Luongo.

If Luongo is outshone by Schneider, that makes Luongo's perceived value even lower, which translates to a lesser return.

Archived