The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Detroit's Defensive Issue-Solution?

Detroit Defenseman:

Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Carlo Colaiacovo ($2.500m)*

Kent Huskins ($0.750m) / Ian White ($2.875m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.578m) / Jakub Kindl ($1.050m)

(*Injury)

Cap space: $4,688,788

With Ian White just recently returning from injury to his leg, Detroit's defensive group looks not so bad. However, Detroit's defence shows that it is feeble when a defenseman suffers an injury for them. Adding one more strong defenseman, in my opinion could solve their issue right now.

Im not purposing a trade with Canucks like most users suggest. I think Detroit should go via free agency. Many top notch defenseman are still looking for jobs.

Shaone Morrisonn: He is a tough stay-at-home defenseman standing 6ft4in. He is thirty years old, making him one of the more experienced guys. 2010-11 62GP 1G 4A

Colin White: Big body defenseman at a height of 6ft4in, and a weight of 215lbs. The thirty-five year old veteran has achieved two stanley cups with the Devils in 2001 and 2003. Failed to gain a contract with the Blues this season on a PTO. 2011-12 51GP 1G 3A

Pavel Kubina: A great defenseman with a huge frame and offensive ability. 6ft4in and weighing 250lbs. Also thirty-five years old currently playing in his home country Czech league. Also has a stanley cup on his resume, in 2003-04 season. 2011-12 69GP 3G 12A

What do you guys think?

I doubt that Kubina will come back to the NHL this season. However, if they have the contract room (which I'm not sure about) then the Red Wings should go out and sign somebody to shore up their defense. There is no such thing as too much defensive depth. Additionally, this will put pressure on the current defenseman to play better or else they could sit in the press box while someone else takes their job.

I think ballard would fit their system quite well. Just not sure if Detroit would have interest or what they would return?

1st round pick? prospect and mid round pick? Doubt they would trade Filpulla for Ballard

If I was MG i would call Ken Holland and be like "hey Kenny, its Mike, I see your defence has been ravaged by injuries, we got a smooth skating guy in Keith Ballard would you have interest?

Wouldnt hurt to make the call to a few teams that are lookin for a solid D man

I think ballard would fit their system quite well. Just not sure if Detroit would have interest or what they would return?

1st round pick? prospect and mid round pick? Doubt they would trade Filpulla for Ballard

If I was MG i would call Ken Holland and be like "hey Kenny, its Mike, I see your defence has been ravaged by injuries, we got a smooth skating guy in Keith Ballard would you have interest?

Wouldnt hurt to make the call to a few teams that are lookin for a solid D man

How about a trade that upgrades Det and Van in the areas needed. My proposal actually be two trades.

To Van. Franzen

To Det. Ballard,Tanev and a pick if required to pry Franzen

These two may not be noticed individually,but their great play together, I'm sure had been noticed around the league giving them value. Detroit gets a good D pair and we get a work horse with scoring ability. Now replacement for our lost D.

To Was. Luongo,Raymond(to make room for Franzen)

To Van. John Carlson,Karl Alzner and 2013 1st

Sedin Sedin Franzen

Booth Kessler Burrows

Higgins Schroeder Kassian

Volpatti Lapierre Hansen

Weise Malhotra Gaunce Jensen

Edler Garrison

Bieksa Hamhius

Carlson Alzner

Barker Vandermeer Connauton

How about a trade that upgrades Det and Van in the areas needed. My proposal actually be two trades.

To Van. Franzen

To Det. Ballard,Tanev and a pick if required to pry Franzen

These two may not be noticed individually,but their great play together, I'm sure had been noticed around the league giving them value. Detroit gets a good D pair and we get a work horse with scoring ability. Now replacement for our lost D.

To Was. Luongo,Raymond(to make room for Franzen)

To Van. John Carlson,Karl Alzner and 2013 1st

Sedin Sedin Franzen

Booth Kessler Burrows

Higgins Schroeder Kassian

Volpatti Lapierre Hansen

Weise Malhotra Gaunce Jensen

Edler Garrison

Bieksa Hamhius

Carlson Alzner

Barker Vandermeer Connauton

Archived