The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time to sit out edler or alteast put him as the 6th pairing

yete

As i said in a earlier post he could have a nagging injury that is keeping his play down. Maybe he cries too hard about Sami Salo being gone, and too dehydrated every game.

He was piss poor tonight, but didnt Ballard get injured in the third? We are really short on defensemen now, so i dont see why or how they could even manage to do that. He still has his point shot its his defensive coverage that is brutal.

But I also look at our team with one 1st line and three 3rd lines, and wonder if our D core has warranted this negativity, when our forward lines are a mash up and rarely talked about for our reason of sputtering as of late.

I dont get this coach we have i really don't

but w/e Edler has been horrible this year ...

he is suppose to be our guy and he has not been our guy this year...

he is playing like 6th pairing its time AV grows some courage and puts him as the 6th pairing.....

another thing how many times is coach AV going to juggle the defense??

how the heck will they develop chemistry if AV keeps juggling them every game...?

Edler was terrible tonight and I damn near lost my mind when he skated out for the shootout. I have been a AV supporter for the most part but this just pissed me off. He may have scored a couple in the shootout before but he has not even had a decent attempt this year. Maybe AV thinks scoring in the shootout will provide a confidence boost?

Last night he couldn't receive a pass, the puck was like a hot potato he couldn't catch. Simply awful as he has been much of the year. His offensive upside covers a lot of the defensive warts in his game. He isn't playing physical and just looks like a lost puppy out there.

With all that said we really can't afford to have him out of the lineup but someone has to give him the message to extract his head from where it currently resides.

Huge Edler fan but this year he's just doesn't look right . It almost looks like he panics everytime he gets the puck. Yes he's been alittle inconsistent in the past , this is getting out of hand .No bone crushing hits and bobbling the puck all the time . It really looks like he's missing Sami?!

Edler is a liabilty. He has been given time to become this Norris calibre defenceman by the Canucks, however the truth of it all is that he has already peaked and what we see from him now is what he is capable of.

The following excuses just don't fly:

Excuse 1: He is less confident because Sami Salo is gone. He needs someone to help him calm down.

Truth: He's an adult who will be making $5 M next year. If he is as GREAT as you all say, than he should be able to play with

anyone and still perform.

Excuse 2: He is still dealing with back issues from this summer.

Truth: He shouldn't be playing if his back is causing him serious dips in his play. Kesler isn't playing through injuries.

Excuse 3: He will become the Norris calibre defenceman very soon, he is only 26.

Truth: He will never be Norris calibre because he is below average in his own end. His mental lapses and poor positional play

have been the norm for the last season and a half.

Edler has a great shot and size, but the skills that he chooses to demonstrate are that of a forward. He shows no willingness to take the body, block shots, or clear the crease, which are things any defenceman worth his salt has to do EVERY game.

He doesn't.

I still think it's funny people made Lidstrom comparisons, his defensive awareness is terrible and he is probably our most inconsistent d-man and our highest paid. Gillis's type of player.

He didn't play well last season and he was absolutely brutal in the playoffs. How much longer till he grows into a #1 defenceman like everyone keeps saying he will?

It's not like he's 21 and doesn't show signs of improving....

In reality he's just an average defender with good size and a hard shot.

Did you even watch the game tonight? If you did you would understand why a lot of us are mad! Edler was horrible. He almost broke Hank for heaven sakes. He needs to be woken up some how and play better then this.

I still think it's funny people made Lidstrom comparisons, his defensive awareness is terrible and he is probably our most inconsistent d-man and our highest paid. Gillis's type of player.

He didn't play well last season and he was absolutely brutal in the playoffs. How much longer till he grows into a #1 defenceman like everyone keeps saying he will?

It's not like he's 21 and doesn't show signs of improving....

In reality he's just an average defender with good size and a hard shot.

Archived