The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

When it's time to rebuild

whcanuck

Hi Guys

When the Sedins retire and the core moves on, either to other teams or retire from the game, what direction would you like to see our team go in?

I've always liked our core, I think it's a fantastic group of players. But I think we need to go back similar to our 1993-94 team, more blue collar with some skill mixed in.

I'm watching the Ten Years After 1994 team tribute and I've noticed just what a perfect mix of youth, veterans, grit, skill, heart and most of all leadership that made up that team. I'd prefer a more blue collar type team because that's what wins the Stanley Cup. I know it's not 1994 anymore and the game has changed, but with the right leadership, coaching and attitude, I think that team had a few qualities that this team slightly lacks. I think we need a few more character guys on this roster, Geoff Courtnall, Greg Adams, Tim Hunter types and obviously, a Trevor Linden. I think Henrik and Daniel Sedin are very good leaders, but a few of our players lack the maturity to take home the Stanley Cup. But I'm hoping I'm wrong about that.

What do you guys think?

Certainly not now, not even next year. MIke Gillis just needs to simply do what he did heading into the 2011 team. The 2010 team, was a very strong team in NHL standards, but were still missing key components. The summer he went out added more defensive depth in Ballard and Hamhius. He added more depth to our bottom 6, in Mahotra and Torres. We were instantly cup contenders with those additions. Right now this team is back at the 2010 version of the Canucks. In the last 2 seasons we lost Christian Ehrhoff who made the Sedins 100 point players and Art Ross winners, followed by losing one of our most reliable defencemen in Sami Salo, and we have really yet to get anyone in to make up their losts. Mike Gillis needs to head into the 2014 season with the mindset of heading into the 2011 summer, were he needs to address the weaknesses of the team, fix those problems, and I think we will have a good shot at going after lord Stanley in 2014. That being said, I think if he is able to find that top 2 dman at trade deadline, I think we have a chance this year also.

Easier said than done, especially if you're "rebuilding" which generally means your players suck at the time...

I agree that much of the 94 components are missing.

Some of the key elements from 1994 have no counterpart on the current roster...

Sergio Momesso - tough, emotional, good for lots of penalty minutes and 30-50 points

Tim Hunter - fourth line smasher with actual leadership

Dave Babych - blueline warhorse with tons of experience and a great stretch pass

Also with counterparts not present today...

- Ronning

- Murray Craven

Some of the counterparts do exist...

Trevor Linden - Ryan Kesler (sort of)

McLean - Luongo

Bure - One of the Sedins (skillwise more or less)

Jeff Brown - Edler (good offensive D, nothing special defensively)

Greg Adams - Alex Burrows (reliable clutch scoring)

Also, like 94, a pretty solid 1-through-6 defensive corps...

So in short, yes, if we could get a highly skilled, high leadership, tough team, that would be great. But that is basically the Blackhawks right now. Not that easy to pull off.

I thought our window of opportunity was closing within the next 1-2 years, but it seems like that window may have closed already with these bad signings and unfavorable injuries. We need real effective forwards to play on the 2nd line, no offense to any of our guys but not some third liner plugs. And the defence is not proving to be as effective as its pricetag.

And MG keeps stalling, all not good signs..

In a perfect world, I believe MG plans to introduce younger talent as teh vets age so there is no roller coaster of building to a peak and then going through a rebuild. The jury is still out on whether he can succeed as our prospects pool isn't overly deep.

I wish him eveyr success as I certainly don't look forward to wallowing in the gutter like Clagary and Edmonton have for years and years waitng to get high-draft picks.

I thought our window of opportunity was closing within the next 1-2 years, but it seems like that window may have closed already with these bad signings and unfavorable injuries. We need real effective forwards to play on the 2nd line, no offense to any of our guys but not some third liner plugs.

In a perfect world, I believe MG plans to introduce younger talent as teh vets age so there is no roller coaster of building to a peak and then going through a rebuild. The jury is still out on whether he can succeed as our prospects pool isn't overly deep.

I wish him eveyr success as I certainly don't look forward to wallowing in the gutter like Clagary and Edmonton have for years and years waitng to get high-draft picks.

Archived