The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What can AV even do with this team?

Sixteen W's

Lindy Ruff as assistant coach would be bad ass move by Gillis, although he better come with a center.

AV's buddy routine hasn't motivated this bunch for years.

It's not his fault but a change in culture is needed.

I would consider firing AV and moving a goalie and Edler /Ballard and giving team a heart transplant.

moving pieces like this could bring us Corey Perry and Brendan Morrrow/Sam Gagne.

Sedin-Sedin-C.Perry

Booth-Burrows-Kesler

Higgins-Gagne-Hansen

Sestito-Pinizzotto-Kassian

And I find it absolutely bizarre that no reporter ever grills AV or MG about the issue........almost like there is a media gag on the subject by the Canucks. I wouldn't put it past Gillis actually.....he is the GM who allowed his coach to go into hiding after getting thoroughly out-coached in the playoffs last season and in the finals the year before.

No accountability.

Something to take pride in? Of course.

Something to rest on your laurels about or be satisfied with? Absolutely not.

It is still no reason to keep AV as he is obviously not able to get this team playing the way they should be based on their level of talent. And they won a lot of games last year that they deserved to lose based on effort. This gives them a false sense of security, much like AV's comments lately that the tea is playing better than people think....no they aren't. The notion that winning games on luck or because of only goaltending is some great accomplishment continuously gets squashed come playoff time when effort and motivation from all 20 players on the ice matters a lot more and the Canucks and AV cannot bring it.

The favoritism is starting to get ridiculous now. I think Ballard should publicly demand a trade to force Gillis' hand. He has been the consummate team player and foot soldier in never making waves about it but come on. Would anyone blame him for a public demand at this point?

Did they not get to game 7 while beat to crap? Did you really think they'd win the cup last year with Kesler playing hurt (yet again), Daniel starting out with a concussion, Raymond not producing last year after the back injury, and Booth not really producing after his knee injury? I didn't like our chances of getting past the first round and wasn't holding any hope of making past the second round. If you did you were fooling yourself. I wasn't shocked we lost to LA.

You need more than just talent to win the cup in a hard cap world. The stars virtually need to align for you. Injuries do play into it. Hot and cold streaks do play into it. No amount of coaching can change those variables. Nor does saying "when it matters most" change those variables. Then on top the that you need solid goaltending. You can play shut it down defensive hockey and hope for solid goaltending and the timely goal to win. But that's not what this team was built for. Nor does it come with any guarantees of success either.

I really do get sick of people saying the Presidents Trophy means nothing. It may not be the prize you want but it's still one hell of an accomplishment in a 82 game season. Unlike you I'm proud of them for making that accomplishment.

I have never spoke out against Ballard, nor for him either. However, him coming out and demanding a trade won't help his cause at this point. So he really has no other option BUT to be professional, given his situation. 1 point in 21 games with his contract, as everyone knows, is completely unacceptable. He can demand a trade all he wants, that won't make the Canucks trade him any quicker. In order to trade him, Gillis first needs a dance partner. Who in their right mind wants to take on that contract? How has moving Komisarek worked out in Toronto so far? Ballard's going nowhere.

For example, the Islanders are one of my favourite teams (too bad for me, I know). They're a logical destination has they have issues staying at the cap floor. Perhaps they pick up Ballard in the off-season should they be unable to re-sign Streit. If that's the case, I would be livid as an Isles fan if they traded away any roster players or prospects to the Canucks. At best, give them a 4th-5th round draft pick to help take that contract off their hands.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I too would rather see Ballard in the lineup, but how is it favoritism to give a guy his 8th start of the season over a guy with 21?

Guest Gumballthechewy

And you're basing that on what? Your own vast experience in the realm of professional hockey player evaluation?

So.....is Scott Arniel thinking of heading to Vancouver ? I like AV but without his one major weapon ( face off's and zone starts ) he's like a fish out of water. If MG can't bring in some one like Antoine Vermette 61% or Paul Gaustad 60.8% to allow him to control the game better he's toast. Gillis knows what makes the system works so if no face off guy turn up in a trade it mean Gillis has given up on AV as well. I'm not so concerned with the PP as long as they have a plan to change it up come the play-offs why show your hand now, just get into the play-offs and then go to a one goalie and ride him, this back and forth has both their heads screwed up and Gillis knows that to. Keslers return will undoubtly help.

Did they not get to game 7 while beat to crap? Did you really think they'd win the cup last year with Kesler playing hurt (yet again), Daniel starting out with a concussion, Raymond not producing last year after the back injury, and Booth not really producing after his knee injury? I didn't like our chances of getting past the first round and wasn't holding any hope of making past the second round. If you did you were fooling yourself. I wasn't shocked we lost to LA.

You need more than just talent to win the cup in a hard cap world. The stars virtually need to align for you. Injuries do play into it. Hot and cold streaks do play into it. No amount of coaching can change those variables. Nor does saying "when it matters most" change those variables. Then on top the that you need solid goaltending. You can play shut it down defensive hockey and hope for solid goaltending and the timely goal to win. But that's not what this team was built for. Nor does it come with any guarantees of success either.

I really do get sick of people saying the Presidents Trophy means nothing. It may not be the prize you want but it's still one hell of an accomplishment in a 82 game season. Unlike you I'm proud of them for making that accomplishment.

I have never spoke out against Ballard, nor for him either. However, him coming out and demanding a trade won't help his cause at this point. So he really has no other option BUT to be professional, given his situation. 1 point in 21 games with his contract, as everyone knows, is completely unacceptable. He can demand a trade all he wants, that won't make the Canucks trade him any quicker. In order to trade him, Gillis first needs a dance partner. Who in their right mind wants to take on that contract? How has moving Komisarek worked out in Toronto so far? Ballard's going nowhere.

For example, the Islanders are one of my favourite teams (too bad for me, I know). They're a logical destination has they have issues staying at the cap floor. Perhaps they pick up Ballard in the off-season should they be unable to re-sign Streit. If that's the case, I would be livid as an Isles fan if they traded away any roster players or prospects to the Canucks. At best, give them a 4th-5th round draft pick to help take that contract off their hands.

No player is untradeable in the NHL. It comes down to what is the asking price. If Ballard demands a trade publicly he lowers that asking price by the Canucks significantly. 4.2 million for one more year for a guy who everyone can see has never received an opportunity to play his style in Van? And you think no one would take him for a pick?

Let's be serious man.

Komisarek was used in the role he is suited for and sucked at it. Totally different view in terms of potential reward taking a chance on a guy if you are another GM.

And I find it absolutely bizarre that no reporter ever grills AV or MG about the issue........almost like there is a media gag on the subject by the Canucks. I wouldn't put it past Gillis actually.....he is the GM who allowed his coach to go into hiding after getting thoroughly out-coached in the playoffs last season and in the finals the year before.

No accountability.

Rup, it's getting past the point of ridiculous now. It's not about getting a chance for Alberts and Barker to cycle in and get some starts.

It's about the fact that the coach hasn't done that with a single one of his other top 5 D all season. The only reason Barker got any games at all was because Bieksa got injured. In a short season like this there's no reason not to give another player a night off in a back-to-back if they seems to be fatigued or struggled the previous game. If AV's only answer to cycling the D is to sit Ballard then he has no more tools in the toolbox.

They didn't even rest Bieksa, coming off of an injury , to play LA. They sat Ballard in favour of Alberts and Bieksa got pushed too far and re-injured himself. It's absolutely brutal personnel management. I can't understand how anyone would defend it, and I can't see a single coach in the NHL doing the same thing under the same circumstances.

If our D is tired for Round 1 this will be the primary cause. Our only rested D will be Barker, Ballard and Alberts. Do you see AV suddenly switching it up and leaning on them if our legs aren't there? I don't and it wouldn't be wise to expect those three to be able to step into the role when they haven't had any minutes doing it all year.

Archived