The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which player do you want the Canucks to aquire at the Trade Deadline? [Poll]

VAN_FAN_MATT

Which rumored trade target do you want the Canucks to aquire at the Trade Deadline?  

339 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want Ott. But I doubt we'll get him. Buffalo doesn't seem eager to move him which isn't surprising since they're thin at center. And trade values are super high to begin with. Plus we don't have much in the way of assets to give up except for Loungo who Buffalo doesn't need. More realistically we end up with Matthias. He's a solid pickup even if he isn't quite as good as Ott. Florida is having a fire sale and could be interested in Lu. And even if they aren't, I don't think Matthias is so valuable that we couldn't put together a trade for him.

If we get a trade for Lou it will most likely be with Florida, In which case we will likely get Matthias. They may throw in Mueller as well, he is a good talent but has had injury problems, Florida got him for a late round draft oick as I recall, but he does have some talent if he can stay healthy. :canucks:

vincent lecavalier, brayden schenn, tyler ennis, vinny prospal... any of these guys would be a great addition. with stamkos becoming the face of the tampa bolts, lecavalier could be expendable. brayden shenn could be coaxed out of philly for a solid goalie. buffalo would deal ennis for anyone who could help their back end and you would think prospal would want anything but to be stuck in columbus, maybe he would go for a depth player and draft picks?

Why would anybody trade for a guy that needs to be bought out? If they are so bad that they need to be bought out why wouldn't they simply wait until they're ufa's and sign them at a better cap hit? Even if you find a trade partner you don't get much return on salary dump contracts. ie: San Jose salary dumping to us in the Ehrhoff deal. San Jose didn't get much out of that deal.

Before you decide who you want, think of the team that you are trying to get him from and what their needs are. Even NHL 2013 doesn't let you trade an 83 for an 83 straight across anymore if it's something that doesn't fill the team you are trading with needs anymore. Not sure why some think trades are that easy.

Sellers don't want impending UFA's and big contracts coming back, they want prospects (good ones) and high picks. Buyers are not giving up stars for futures.

Would love to get Brad Boyes. We need versatility and good centermen, and he's one of them. Any 40 goal scorer shouldn't be taken for granted in this league, and playing on a contending team with guys like Raymond, Hansen, Higgins or Kassian may just bring him back.

He can also play a gritty game and kill penalties, and if he can break-out in the playoffs the way Carter and Richards did we've got a good chance. Suddenly we have scary depth at center with Henrik, Kesler, Boyes, Schroeder, Lapierre and Pinizotto, potentially all playing in the lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Burrows - Kesler - Hansen

Raymond - Boyes - Schroeder

Higgins - Lapierre - Pinizotto

That is the ideal playoff-ready lineup, and very realistic. Throw NYI Ballard or even a 3rd round pick would be enough for Boyes.

Players I see MG targeting:

Matt Hendricks C WSH - rental, strong on faceoffs (averages over 50% consistently),

Marty Reasoner C NYI - dependable 4 th line centre, PK, averages over 50% on faceoffs

Mikael Backlund C CGY - RFA. if Feaster is selling, might be worth the pick up. I think he could show much more potential on a better team. More Swedes on this team always seems to be a good thing too lol

Help down the middle would be the number 1 priority, powerplay is number 2. Ribeiro would be a nice rental, and could fill both needs. But will Washington be a seller and what is the price?

Another name who might be a 3rd line center rental is Handzus from SJ.

I also think a right handed depth d-man would be nice to have as an injury to Tanev or Bieksa throws the d-pairings in to a complete mess. A couple of possibilities who are pending UFAs:

Joe Corvo

Ryan O'Byrne

Shawn Matthias out of Florida looks like he would be a good fit or if we could afford the cap hit Joel Ward out of Washington. If Luongo gets dealt before the end of the season we'll definitely need a decent back up goalie who can relieve Schnieds in the playoffs if required.

Can you edit the poll to switch Morrow with Jagr?

I wouldn't give up a first rounder for almost all of these players. St.Louis, Gaborik, and Iginla would probably be the only ones I would, and Eriksson (if he is available) give up a first for. Obviously Eriksson would cost more than just a first, but a first in a package is reasonable.

Archived