The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Arena is boring !

smurf47

Well...more responders agreeing with me than you, must be a little truth to my wife's observation. Although Phoenix is not a great hockey market, their core fans are rabid and supportive. Shane Doan opted to stay there and play for less than full houses than come to Vancouver and play to sellout crowds. Jobing.com fills up for elite and Canadian teams. Crosby fills the place. Those of us who follow the yotes find them just as entertaining as our Canucks who struggle to score 2 goals in a game. Fewer fans does not dictate the enjoyment. You say the Coyotes are boring, based on what, both games played here this season? Road teams play a more conservative game and I'm willing to bet you've never seen the yotes play a home game! That would make your opinion flawed and without merit. mr know it all.

both from BC just lucky enough to get winter relief in Arizona :) Just as an aside...if you've never been to jobbing.com for a Coyote game, then you have no idea the difference in atmosphere between the two arenas at a game. You are talking out your arse sir.

Im sure all 6 thousand people are postively goosebump inducing.

Were you at Game 1 of the stanley cup finals when Raffi scored..or when Burr slayed the dragon?

You cannot bash the atmosphere of Rogers Arena during the playoffs.

Also try comparing us to a team that actually isnt in financial turmoil that doesnt have to whore itself out to get fans in the seats.

many of us have been saying that for years and i'll never forget game seven of the stanley cup final, our canucks down 3-0 after two periods and the fans did nothing as the canucks took the ice for the third period. no pump, no roar, no motivation to push em to score one and to change the momentum of the game, by contrast....

i watched a philly game once last year on the net they were getting blown out by six going into the third period in a regular season game, at the start of the third period, fans were on their feet cheering wildly and encouraging their squad to play hard, they scored soon after!

enough said.

My wife went to the Canuck's game last night and watched it from the company box. She remarked on how little fanfare there was and how very little was done to engage the crowd and pump them up. We see a lot of games in Phoenix and it was her opinion that they could teach the Canucks organization a lot on including fans. Better music, better light show, video clips, giveaways and promotions noise meters etc,. Jobbing .com rocks especially when a Canadian team plays and last nights game, in Vancouver, was dullsville.

worst sold out crowd ever...... and people blame it on the team the game should start with a huge go canucks go chant every PK should be a D-FENCE chant with huge cheers when their is a big save on the pk or when they clear the puck.... more go canucks go chants during the PP all this stuff used to be standard ... ive pointed out to my dad and friends when watching a game how 2 great shot blocks and a good clear on a PK rarely even gets any notice from the vancouver fans anymore... the loudest our fans get is when they are booing a non call or booing a call against us or chanting ref you suck..... and expecting the refs to then side with us haha

Pacific Coliseum you can tell was used in the 70's. There's the faint aroma of stale cigarettes. But when I was a little kid it seemed huge, and the crowds were loud, even if the team sucked.

I've gone to playoff game in the lower bowl at Rogers Arena/GM Place, and I swear you could hear a pin drop. All the noise was coming from the upper level.

The family that was beside me was whisper quiet, and this was round 2 in the playoffs! There were two gorgeous women that were constantly going up and down the stairs from their front row seats. They seemed to be more interested in who was watching them instead of watching the game. About 2 minutes from the end of the 1st period, two real estate agents showed up and sat behind me. And during a playoff game all they did is talk real estate all the time they were there. There was me, and a pair of dudes across the row and up a bit that we were the only ones in our section that was making ANY noise. We tried to get a Go Canucks Go chant, to no avail. I was never so shocked.

I've gone to regular season games in the upper bowl. TOTALY different! In a mid-season game between the Canucks and LA the crowd was loud, involved, and cheering like mad. It was great. Any time I've gone to a game in the upper bowl it's been great.

I think there is a totally different mindset in the upper level crowd and the folks at ice level.

I've been a Canucks fan for as long as I can remember. I remember when Red ran around banging his drum; I remember Kirk McLean and Steve Weeks playing together. I lived in Vancouver when the 'Nucks played at the Pacific Colliseum, before "The Garage" was built and well before it became Roger's Arena. I used to go to games 5 -6 times a year (money was tight, what can I say) and had fun at all the games I went to. The crowd was into the game, win or lose, cheering for the team and encouraging them the whole time. It was a great time to be a Canucks fun, even in the nosebleed seats! I have since moved to the US, but I happened to get tickets from a friend when I was back visiting family last year, and was in total shock at the fan base. The arena was dead; I was sitting in the upper bowl, bench side, and was asked "to please hush" by the couple in front of me as I was apparently making too much noise cheering for my team, and the Canucks won that game! Whether the team is good or not shouldn't detract from the atmosphere, as we the fans make a lot of difference in the play. And being told to shush at a hockey game is crackers. If this is what Roger's Arena has become, next time I'm in town I'll forgo the tickets for a bar seat at Richard's. At least I'll get some atmosphere there!

Isn't there an entertainment coordinator/director at Rogers? That person needs to be fired. Do something to get the fans pumped up if we are behind or down during a game. They need to recognize the silence and address it. Enough blame to go around on both the fan and management side for the lack of motivation.

Too many people who drive silver SUV's at the game.

The music is awefull also. Put your hands up in the air song is dead, stop using it. And the ... everbody clap your hands.

Dallas has some of the best music to pump up the crowd.

Also, only the rich can afford to go, so this eliminates a lot of the real fans.

GM place will never be the same, yes GM place.

Back when cooke, naslund and bertuzzi were here, that was when we had the loudest fans!

We still have the best fans in the world! We just got to get loud, the playoffs are here!

Too many people who drive silver SUV's at the game.

The music is awefull also. Put your hands up in the air song is dead, stop using it. And the ... everbody clap your hands.

Dallas has some of the best music to pump up the crowd.

Also, only the rich can afford to go, so this eliminates a lot of the real fans.

Archived