The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Just eat CLEAN 5-6 times a day and no carbs after your work outs. Also stick to strictly water. At 5'11 with a fairly muscular build while still being defined I'd say anywhere from 185-200 pounds.

Anything past 180 is a pipe dream for me lol. Maybe in 20 years, but that will mostly be beer. I'd be happy at 170

Just eat CLEAN 5-6 times a day and no carbs after your work outs. Also stick to strictly water. At 5'11 with a fairly muscular build while still being defined I'd say anywhere from 185-200 pounds.

Having post workout carbs is actually a good time to have them. Its critical because it starts the recovery/muscle growth process. Your body is severely depleted of glycogen and glucose after a workout.

There are two 'good' times to have carbs: in the morning and after a workout.

No carbs after your workout? You can't be serious lol. Carbs are just as important as protein for building muscle, perhaps even more so. I think what you meant to say is no carbs 3-5hrs before bed. So therefore you go to sleep on an empty stomach (burning all the carbs in your system) and don't have any carbs left over to turn into fat.

Edited by ftmN
  • Upvote 1

I've started a really heavy cardio/free weight routine, weights 5 days a week and the cardio 6 days. I do something light on my "off-day", like a walk or hike. Dropped 15 lbs since April, but only started REALLY getting into this (diet-wise) since the beginning of July. Any tips from you workout-a-holics?

Anything past 180 is a pipe dream for me lol. Maybe in 20 years, but that will mostly be beer. I'd be happy at 170

I don't think you're trying very hard in the eating department if you think anything past 180 is a pipe dream.

Speaking from experience, I think you'll be disappointed with how you look at 5' 11" 170 with abs. It's simply too light at that height to have any appreciable muscle mass...and abs on a guy with little muscle mass really dont' count IMO.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

I don't think you're trying very hard in the eating department if you think anything past 180 is a pipe dream.

Speaking from experience, I think you'll be disappointed with how you look at 5' 11" 170 with abs. It's simply too light at that height to have any appreciable muscle mass...and abs on a guy with little muscle mass really dont' count IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-skinny-guy-with-abs-is-like-a-fat-chick-with-big-tits/213186385406536

• Upvote 1

A wise man once said, "it's a process". Plus my goal is not to look like the guys from pain and gain which in my opinion is overdoing it. 5'11 200 pounds is mark wahlberg territory haha. Can't even put his arms by his side.

Edited by Tangelos

A wise man once said, "it's a process". Plus my goal is not to look like the guys from pain and gain which in my opinion is overdoing it. 5'11 200 pounds is mark wahlberg territory haha. Can't even put his arms by his side.

Everyone has different goals. 10lbs of lean muscle gain is a solid goal. It just takes a while to put on lean muscle. No tricks or short cuts (well roids, but I don't approve), you just have to lift consistently and eat a high protein diet.

For 10 lbs of lean muscle, it all depends on your previous exercise levels. If you've never worked out before and don't do much exercise, a few months would be a solid time frame. If you do workout and are physically active, you've already got a base, which means it might take longer.

My advice, do your own thing. Don't get caught up with idiotic competition about who weighs more. The guys bragging about putting on 30lbs in a year are also putting on significant fat.

Fair enough, my goals and ideal look are different than yours. It definitely is a "process" to make any appreciable progress with your body...that takes years, not months (well you can make a noticable difference in months, just not as much as you would think).

I've started a really heavy cardio/free weight routine, weights 5 days a week and the cardio 6 days. I do something light on my "off-day", like a walk or hike. Dropped 15 lbs since April, but only started REALLY getting into this (diet-wise) since the beginning of July. Any tips from you workout-a-holics?

If your diet is nutrionally sound (eating the right foods at the right times) you should really see benefits in terms of weight loss/muscle gains. Diet really is the make or break factor. If you're interested, search google for the "21 day sugar free detox". Basically a reduced sugar paleo diet. Try it out and I bet you will see some good results. There are modifications for athletes/and or plant based diets like myself.

Everyone has different goals. 10lbs of lean muscle gain is a solid goal. It just takes a while to put on lean muscle. No tricks or short cuts (well roids, but I don't approve), you just have to lift consistently and eat a high protein diet.

For 10 lbs of lean muscle, it all depends on your previous exercise levels. If you've never worked out before and don't do much exercise, a few months would be a solid time frame. If you do workout and are physically active, you've already got a base, which means it might take longer.

My advice, do your own thing. Don't get caught up with idiotic competition about who weighs more. The guys bragging about putting on 30lbs in a year are also putting on significant fat.

Yep. Lowering body fate percentage shouldn't be rushed or pushed to extreme levels. Nice and easy works.

No carbs after your workout? You can't be serious lol. Carbs are just as important as protein for building muscle, perhaps even more so. I think what you meant to say is no carbs 3-5hrs before bed. So therefore you go to sleep on an empty stomach (burning all the carbs in your system) and don't have any carbs left over to turn into fat.

If you are cutting then yes I am serious. Say what you want but it worked for me. Losing 20 pounds in like 3 months following that technique and I wasn't in anyway fat just tried getting super shredded/defined.

Edited by Rypien37

If you are cutting then yes I am serious. Say what you want but it worked for me. Losing 20 pounds in like 3 months following that technique and I wasn't in anyway fat just tried getting super shredded/defined.

What worked for you might not work for others.

At the end of the day it's calories in vs calories out. 5-6 meals a day isn't a requirement to lose weight. A caloric deficit is what is required to lose weight.

If 5-6 meals a day fits in to you lifestyle, then great. Lots of people do intermittent fasting because they prefer the 8 hour eating window and being able to pig out on 2 big meals a day, all while losing weight because meal timing is mostly irrelevant.

Weigh your food, count your calories, stay in a deficit = profit.

• Upvote 3

ya you can lose weight like that but its horrible if you want to retain as much muscle as you can while cutting. Ideally you only want to lose about 1 pound a week so you can retain most your muscle while losing the fat. 20 pounds in two months is goung overboard and you will lose a lit of muscle mass.

Also its not one of those "it may not work for you but it worked for me" things. Its science, carbs after a workout is critical to grow muscle on a bulk and retain muscle in a cut.

I'm not talking about Carbs/Protein, I'm talking about general meal timing and overall calories.

Obviously protein is important for LBM retention and growth, Obviously carbs are important to control cortisol levels after a workout, but it's not the 'Omg I have to eat carbs/protein 10 minutes after a workout or else my body will be in a catabolic state!' Your muscles are repairing themselves for 48 hours after actually lifting the weights. You can have post workout nutrition 15 minutes or 2 hours after a workout.

Edited by diesel_3

I'm not talking about Carbs/Protein, I'm talking about general meal timing and overall calories.

Obviously protein is important for LBM retention and growth, Obviously carbs are important to control cortisol levels after a workout, but it's not the 'Omg I have to eat carbs/protein 10 minutes after a workout or else my body will be in a catabolic state!' Your muscles are repairing themselves for 48 hours after actually lifting the weights. You can have post workout nutrition 15 minutes or 2 hours after a workout.

i was respinding to ryp37's comment

I agree that meal timing isnt all that important but he was suggesting no carbs after a workout which is actually an optimal time to have them.

But again, i do believe just getting all your macros and micros by the end of the day is more important that meal timing.

i was respinding to ryp37's comment

I agree that meal timing isnt all that important but he was suggesting no carbs after a workout which is actually an optimal time to have them.

But again, i do believe just getting all your macros and micros by the end of the day is more important that meal timing.

Whoops, I figured, too....I responded anyways LOL.

Oh, forsure. When I first started (2009) I knew NOTHING about macros, but then again, I was so overweight that just some changes in eating had me melting the fat.

I love days when I hammer the protein and get some good dietary fats in. Except I usually pay for it the next day on the can when I have to drop the protein submarine.

Speaking of which....BRB!

Whoops, I figured, too....I responded anyways LOL.

Oh, forsure. When I first started (2009) I knew NOTHING about macros, but then again, I was so overweight that just some changes in eating had me melting the fat.

I love days when I hammer the protein and get some good dietary fats in. Except I usually pay for it the next day on the can when I have to drop the protein submarine.

Speaking of which....BRB!

LOL , priceless.