The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

10 hours ago, key2thecup said:

Is 10 reps and 4 sets considered a good amount per exercise?

Take it to failure, by which I mean you can not do a clean, full range of motion rep. If you do 10 reps for 4 sets, but the weight isn't challenging you at the end of each set, it won't do diddly muscle building wise.

Full range of motion, each rep should take about 4 seconds to complete (1 second up, 3 seconds going down) & if you're able to do 10-12 & feel like you could do 3-4 more, bump up the weight.  Don't ego lift: if you can't do the weight clean & with a full range, it's too heavy. 

11 hours ago, key2thecup said:

Is 10 reps and 4 sets considered a good amount per exercise?

Depends on your goals and your individual body makeup.

Here are some general rules:

1) 15+ Reps/set will build more endurance orientated muscle. This is longer and leaner muscle, but lacks the size and pop many go the gym for.

2) 8 or fewer reps will build strength, but not necessarily size.

3) 9-15 will build size.

This differs for everyone, but you do need a certain amount of reps and time under the bar if you are looking to gain mass. You don't want too much or you'll begin to see an endurance orientated result. This also will depend on things like your body size. Generally smaller people will have to go heavier to get results, as they are naturally prone to being smaller and are more prone to wearing themselves out as they rely more on muscle power and not mass to move weight.

Basically, there are a ton of different factors to consider, and you have to experiment to find out what works for you.

Just follow the rules of progressive overload. I find a lot of time people do the classic 3 sets 10 reps and arent really challenging themselves. They do the same weight week after week. If you can get 3 sets 10, more likely than not, you are not pushing yourself. This doesnt apply to everyone but i see a lot of people stop at 10 reps when they got another 3 or 4 in them.

51 minutes ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Been getting acne on my shoulders! :(

i read somewhere strength training/protein shakes can cause acne to increase.

any tips other than shower asap and looser fitting clothes?

Make sure you're  washing your bedding (pillow cases, sheets, blankets) once a week.

Edited by falcon45ca

1 hour ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Try eliminating dairy.

drink more water.

and I don't mean replace dairy with water:).

two separate things I'm suggesting.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

Try eliminating dairy.

drink more water.

and I don't mean replace dairy with water:).

two separate things I'm suggesting.

This. 

Dairy is actually quite bad for you. It does seem to give a fair amount of people skin problems too. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, LuckyLuciano said:

Don't listen to others. It probably has nothing to do with your diet, unless your obese and getting way too much sugar. How bad is the acne? If it's minor, and depending on your age, I'd just live with it. Unfortunately working out will increase testosterone, which can increase acne in some. 

As for dairy, naturally occurring cow hormones have zero effect on humans. In Canada, it is not legal to produce dairy products by giving cows extra hormones.

The best way to deal with acne is just to outgrow it. If it's severe and leading to scaring talk to a doctor about actual treatments.

• Upvote 1

On 2015-11-22, 6:51:29, Pickly said:

Dawg I feel your pain. I'm 26 as well and I've put my body through hell over the years with playing hockey, rugby, martial arts, years in the military, and now a physical career that doesn't do me much justice. I still train hard in the gym but my joints are shot as I have tendinitis in my elbows and wrists, a terrible back that needs some serious treatment, and a history of being a bandaid in general. At my age I should be in the prime of my life but instead I feel I have the body of a 45 year old. Keep on keepin' on.

Ric Drasin, bodybuilder and friend of Arnold, says that it's not good to lift heavy day after day, week after week, etc. And that's literally was I was doing for years. I only did that because I enjoyed it and it worked. Perhaps this is the case for you too? He said that can cause joint stiffness, pain, etc. But why change anything if it's working, right? At least that was my mentality. I never did high rep squats but instead always 4, 5, 6 range reps. Now I feel pressure in my right knee doing 5 plates on the leg press, lol. I guess all those years finally added up.

Anyway, yeah.. keep on keepin' on.

14 hours ago, taxi said:

Don't listen to others. It probably has nothing to do with your diet, unless your obese and getting way too much sugar. How bad is the acne? If it's minor, and depending on your age, I'd just live with it. Unfortunately working out will increase testosterone, which can increase acne in some. 

As for dairy, naturally occurring cow hormones have zero effect on humans. In Canada, it is not legal to produce dairy products by giving cows extra hormones.

The best way to deal with acne is just to outgrow it. If it's severe and leading to scaring talk to a doctor about actual treatments.

We all apologize and bow to your superior nutritional knowledge. 

Do some research on recent NON BIAS studies of long term effects of diary, specifically milk and get back to us. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

We all apologize and bow to your superior nutritional knowledge. 

Do some research on recent NON BIAS studies of long term effects of diary, specifically milk and get back to us. 

k....dairy is actually a great source of protein. Particularly if you're on a heavy weight program. The majority of studies showing dairy was bad for you focused around fat and cholesterol intake. It's now been shown that reasonable intake of most naturally occurring fat and cholesterol actually decreases your risk of heart disease. 

I would like links to this "NON BIAS" (I believe the word you were looking for was unbiased) research about how dairy is definitely bad for you.

5 minutes ago, taxi said:

k....dairy is actually a great source of protein. Particularly if you're on a heavy weight program. The majority of studies showing dairy was bad for you focused around fat and cholesterol intake. It's now been shown that reasonable intake of most naturally occurring fat and cholesterol actually decreases your risk of heart disease. 

I would like links to this "NON BIAS" (I believe the word you were looking for was unbiased) research about how dairy is definitely bad for you.

So you haven't sent any links to back up your statements, but want me to?

Sure Milk has a good amount of protein but the negatives outweigh that. 

Just one of many websites, this was just the first one I clicked on:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

The theory of Milk being "good for you" is the dinosaur model and that just hasn't been changed for generations.

Milk companies do their best to keep pumping the calcium and protein factors. The fact they are subsidized by the government doesn't hurt either. 

Edited by RRypien37

9 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

So you haven't sent any links to back up your statements, but want me to?

Sure Milk has a good amount of protein but the negatives outweigh that. 

Just one of many websites, this was just the first one I clicked on:

http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vegdiets/health-concerns-about-dairy-products

The theory of Milk being "good for you" is the dinosaur model and that just hasn't been changed for generations.

Milk companies do their best to keep pumping the calcium and protein factors. The fact they are subsidized by the government doesn't hurt either. 

You're the one making a statement: milk is bad for you.

It's up to you to back that up.

Your site is also far from "NON BIAS". A quick wikipedia search of the organization:

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C., which promotes a vegan diet, preventive medicine, alternatives to animal research, and encourages what it describes as "higher standards of ethics and effectiveness in research."[1] Its primary activities include outreach and education about nutrition and compassionate choices to healthcare professionals and the public; ending the use of animals in medical school curricula; and advocating for legislative changes on the local and national levels.

So a vegan organization pushing a non-milk agenda...shocking.

• Upvote 1