The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Never really liked the chin up/pull up definition thing...Doesn't explain variation grips, such as one overhand and one underhand (aka snake grip), a sideways grip, etc.. There also no other exercise where you rename it entirely based on having an overhand or underhand grip.

yeah

Either way I don't worry about any of the variation grips. If I wanna work on biceps, I'll do chinups; if i wanna work on back, I'll do pullups.

Even in situations where you are forced to eat less than ideal, there are ways to minimize the damage. A Junior McChicken only has 370 calories. I wouldn't worry too much about the occasional chicken sandwhich. I would try and substitute the bagels for a menu item with fewer calories and more protein though.

Unless you are cutting for a show, and need to get to sub 10% body fat, the occasional slip up is not going to have any effect on your training. The idea that people are going to either blow up or whither away unless their diet is 100% on point is garbage. Even professional body builders don't eat entirely clean, unless they are cutting for a show.

Take a look at the Michael Phelps diet:

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2008/08/13/the-michael-phelps-diet-dont-try-it-at-home/

He ate entire pizzas, Grilled ham and cheese sandwhiches, pancakes, etc...It's all a question of what your needs are.

Agreed. It's not really a physical thing I'm worried about it's more psychological. My problem is one slip up leads to another, and then it becomes oh well I'll just treat myself for a few days here and then get back to the regular, clean diet next week.

That's a crazy diet (Phelps)

Agreed. It's not really a physical thing I'm worried about it's more psychological. My problem is one slip up leads to another, and then it becomes oh well I'll just treat myself for a few days here and then get back to the regular, clean diet next week.

This is a big reason why I always stay away from extreme diets. It leads to the psychology that it's an all or nothing thing. From my experience, the best thing to do is learn about calories and macros and then make subtle changes that are easy to maintain.

I've seen people do absurd things like refuse to eat a steak but then mow-down a giant caesar salad, because they heard that red meat was fattening. Meanwhile that salad probably had 4 times the calories and none of the protein.

And yes, Phelps' diet was nuts. 12,000 calories a day and almost no body fat.

I use myfitnesspal to track all my calories when cutting, I find it gives me peace of mind and allows me to make adjustment on the fly. That way if I eat a McDouble for example, instead of writing off the whole day, I can just eat a little less for the rest of the day, and I can still end up withing my planned amount of calories. Obviously you don't wanna do this too often, as you just end up eating junk food for half the day and starving yourself the rest. But once in a while it's fine for a cheat meal/cheat day. Also it's more motivating this way, as just using guesswork to lose weight is like playing a sport without knowing the score to me.

Edited by etsen3

This is a big reason why I always stay away from extreme diets. It leads to the psychology that it's an all or nothing thing. From my experience, the best thing to do is learn about calories and macros and then make subtle changes that are easy to maintain.

I've seen people do absurd things like refuse to eat a steak but then mow-down a giant caesar salad, because they heard that red meat was fattening. Meanwhile that salad probably had 4 times the calories and none of the protein.

And yes, Phelps' diet was nuts. 12,000 calories a day and almost no body fat.

Agreed on all points. I actually have by BSc in Kin and plan on getting my MSc in Physio [Not to brag or anything, just giving you some info regarding my background], but my psychological problems stem from being over-fed throughout elementary school (can't blame a mom for loving her kids too much!) and having weight issues and a low self confidence.

It wasn't until grade 8 I enrolled in football, took ice hockey and soccer seriously and made goals to make rep (hockey) and gold (soccer), and started going on a lot of runs before starting to lift in grade 11. Even though I'm lean with an athletic build now through a lot of hard work, and work hard to maintain it now, the little fat boy in me still tries to creep back out from time to time. :P

The caesar salad thing is so typical it's baffling. It's astonishing how few people consider the content of the caesar dressing that the salad is drenched in.

I guess 12,000 calories isn't that big of a deal when you consider the hours he spends in the pool.

I use myfitnesspal to track all my calories when cutting, I find it gives me peace of mind and allows me to make adjustment on the fly. That way if I eat a McDouble for example, instead of writing off the whole day, I can just eat a little less for the rest of the day, and I can still end up withing my planned amount of calories. Obviously you don't wanna do this too often, as you just end up eating junk food for half the day and starving yourself the rest. But once in a while it's fine for a cheat meal/cheat day. Also it's more motivating this way, as just using guesswork to lose weight is like playing a sport without knowing the score to me.

I actually used myfitnesspal religiously for a few months last year when I was doing a cut to try and get to 9% BF down from 12%. I really liked it, but I found I was adding a lot of foods by myself, and without a scale I'm pretty sure my portioning wasn't accurate in my entries.

Has anyone done Crossfit and was it worth it?

I did crossfit for a few months. The workouts were great. I'm a big fan of that style of working out, it's much funner to me. I did however have issues with the class format. You have to sign up for the classes before hand, and with my work schedule (never know when I'm done until I'm done), it was pretty tough to make it work. They also only had one class on Saturday and we're closed sunday... usually my only days off. So in the end I paid a bunch of money (did I mention it's expensive) and was barely able to go.

I did learn some stuff while I was there though. My squat and deadlift form improved, and I learned how to do proper cleans and snatches.

All in all, if you can make it fit with your schedule and don't mind the cost, it's a great workout for sure. Luckily my local crossfit only had a couple of typical douche "crossfitters", everybody else was cool. Talking to an arrogant crossfit douche is a quick way to get turned off by the whole thing, so watch out for that haha.

• Upvote 1

I actually used myfitnesspal religiously for a few months last year when I was doing a cut to try and get to 9% BF down from 12%. I really liked it, but I found I was adding a lot of foods by myself, and without a scale I'm pretty sure my portioning wasn't accurate in my entries.

Yeah it's not perfect, but it's better than being in the dark completely for me. I found it helped me to divide things up into portions as soon as I got back from the grocery store, that way you can use the exact weight on the packaging and divide it by how many portions you have. On a day to day basis this method isn't exact (on Monday and Tuesday you might log 100 g of chicken per day even though you ate 120 and 80) but over a week or so it averages out to the same which is the end goal anyway.

I went through a lot of sandwich bags and my roommates thought I was weird but I'm swole so I don't care ;)

Edited by etsen3
  • Upvote 1

Has anyone done Crossfit and was it worth it?

I wouldn't do it. It obviously depends on your box, but I get the impression that cross fit encourages simply going as hard and fast as you can for a certain period of time with less regard to proper form and safety. A lot of doctors have spoken out against it. It is good in the sense that unlike most fitnwss trends it actually encourages hard work rather than a quick fix. By joining cross fit, you will get in shape. However, there are other, better ways to get in shape that are less taxing on your body and finances.

Granted, everything I know about cross fit is bases on news articles and stereotypes. Just proceed with caution.

Edited by etsen3
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't do it. It obviously depends on your box, but I get the impression that cross fit encourages simply going as hard and fast as you can for a certain period of time with less regard to proper form and safety. A lot of doctors have spoken out against it. It is good in the sense that unlike most fitnwss trends it actually encourages hard work rather than a quick fix. By joining cross fit, you will get in shape. However, there are other, better ways to get in shape that are less taxing on your body and finances.

Granted, everything I know about cross fit is bases on news articles and stereotypes. Just proceed with caution.

As far as I know, every crossfit is independently owned and operated. The one I went to was very strict with form. They preached form before anything else, and you had trainers watching everyone during workouts to ensure proper form.

I never experienced any of the crossfit myths you hear about in the media. It's pretty unfair to catagorize all independent crossfit outlets as unsafe because of what you've read online. I'm sure there's a few bad apples out there, but I'm sure it's by far the minority.

It's an amazing workout program if you put the effort in. By far the best workouts I've ever done, and I've been hitting the gym for over a decade now.

• Upvote 1

Part of the personal responsibility in working out is to monitor your own pace/form. To not delve into a high intensity program without having learned the basics and, through that, taking care of yourself.

To know how to gauge your heart rate and to listen to your body. Form is square one and if you haven't mastered the basics in that, you're jumping in to programs that aren't likely designed for you.

I know nothing of this one...but that's just a general rule of thumb. There is a reason you have to sign waivers and there are disclaimers...because, really, it's up to you to monitor what you can/can't should/shouldn't do. Everyone is at a different level and has different restrictions....it's up to you to determine and work within that.

(Now I'll actually go have a look see what this program's about)