The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Theory on Edler/Status of our D Next Year

ButterBean

I think Edler is a product of his back injury. As he said he may never be 100% again that is an instant "trade me while i have value" red flag for me. I love Edler and despite last years playoffs and this season i still love Edler. That said he will fetch a good return in the trade market and he is $5 mil/year off the books. The only problem with trading Edler for me is that we need a top flight right handed D-man and they are usually around the $5+ million mark as well.

Ballard could be the easy fill in option to replace him on the left side but we need a top 4 or top 2 right handed guy. Tanev and Corrado are not those guys, at least not yet.

We cant make the team worse by trading Edler, we have to get better. If nothing is available that makes us better than we cant trade Edler.

The Canucks will move Edler. My theory? Well, we have 3 RHD set to make the team IMO. That is, Bieksa, Tanev and Corrado. I include Corrado because MG himself said that we are FORCED to put youth in the lineup with the cap going down. Plus, Garrison has played well enough to replace Edler. We might just get another solid cheap stay at home Dman to round out the core:

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Tanev

Alberts-Corrado

I sort of have mixed feelings about Edler but I still think he has major potential(I know, sounds like a broken record here). I think he can be a much better defenseman with the help of a new coach. I know it sounds crazy given his some of his major brainfarts in the defensive zone but was he really put in the best position to succeed? First off his partner was Bieksa, I knew this pairing had disaster written all over it from the start of the season. It makes no sense to put our 2 most mistake-prone defenseman together and not only that but give them the most minutes on the team. Another thing I really like about Edler is his size and ability to hit. He made some really solid checks in the playoffs and it's good to have that when most of our D just doesn't have that bone-crushing hit potential.

Let's reunite the Hamhuis - Bieksa pairing. This pairing was one of the best in the league for awhile. And while most know that Bieksa greatly benefits from Hamhuis and his shutdown abilities, I think Hamhuis misses Bieksa too as well. Some may not know, but Hamhuis wasn't as great as he usually is defensively this year, although he was still really good. It will make a difference when Bieksa can pinch aggressively and not have to worry about Edler facing a 2 on 1/1 on 1 situation.

Then the Edler - Garrison pairing. This year especially during the last 3 quarters of the season we saw Garrison take off both offensively and defensively. I thought he was our best defenseman this season, even over Hamhuis. Now we have a defensively reliable partner for Edler who can also blast the puck from the point really well. Another mistake was leaving Garrison off of the top powerplay unit this season.

Now for the third pairing, I think there's a possibility Tanev and Corrado battle it out for bottom pairing duties heading into next season. I would also like to keep Ballard and see how he does with a new coach, but we may not be able to keep him because of his contract. I think in free agency we should try to go out and get someone like Mark Fistric who has a big frame and can punish opposing forwards. As I said earlier, our D still needs a bit more physicality to keep forwards honest and prevent them from getting to the soft scoring spots. Alberts can be our 7th guy as he played a pretty solid game this year.

If we struggle to find a top 6 forward though I would be glad to trade Edler. I just think it's worth a try to see how a good coach can utilize him and put him in a position to exceed.

I despise our defence, ok no just Edler. HE SUCKS. We need to move him or our d is screwed for years to come.

Bieksa is terrible at D but at least we can hide one of those guys somewhere, the problem gets compounded when you have two of those guys in your top 4. No wonder we are constantly getting the worst goals scored on us.

Get rid of Edler p llll eeee aaaaaa sssssssssss eeeeeeeeeeee Gillis

Get rid of Ballard, even though I love the guy this is beyond stupid already.

Replace with a solid stay at home defenceman and hopefully a guy that can move the puck and who is agile and smart enough to control the PP.

Or, as the OP suggests and what Gillis will think, hopefully a new coach will magically make him smarter than a doorknob. Meanwhile I'll go put money down on the Leafs to beat the Bruins because frankly the odds of Edler figuring anything out is about the same as the Leafs winning the cup.

Archived