The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Theory on Edler/Status of our D Next Year

ButterBean

I sort of have mixed feelings about Edler but I still think he has major potential(I know, sounds like a broken record here). I think he can be a much better defenseman with the help of a new coach. I know it sounds crazy given his some of his major brainfarts in the defensive zone but was he really put in the best position to succeed? First off his partner was Bieksa, I knew this pairing had disaster written all over it from the start of the season. It makes no sense to put our 2 most mistake-prone defenseman together and not only that but give them the most minutes on the team. Another thing I really like about Edler is his size and ability to hit. He made some really solid checks in the playoffs and it's good to have that when most of our D just doesn't have that bone-crushing hit potential.

Let's reunite the Hamhuis - Bieksa pairing. This pairing was one of the best in the league for awhile. And while most know that Bieksa greatly benefits from Hamhuis and his shutdown abilities, I think Hamhuis misses Bieksa too as well. Some may not know, but Hamhuis wasn't as great as he usually is defensively this year, although he was still really good. It will make a difference when Bieksa can pinch aggressively and not have to worry about Edler facing a 2 on 1/1 on 1 situation.

Then the Edler - Garrison pairing. This year especially during the last 3 quarters of the season we saw Garrison take off both offensively and defensively. I thought he was our best defenseman this season, even over Hamhuis. Now we have a defensively reliable partner for Edler who can also blast the puck from the point really well. Another mistake was leaving Garrison off of the top powerplay unit this season.

Now for the third pairing, I think there's a possibility Tanev and Corrado battle it out for bottom pairing duties heading into next season. I would also like to keep Ballard and see how he does with a new coach, but we may not be able to keep him because of his contract. I think in free agency we should try to go out and get someone like Mark Fistric who has a big frame and can punish opposing forwards. As I said earlier, our D still needs a bit more physicality to keep forwards honest and prevent them from getting to the soft scoring spots. Alberts can be our 7th guy as he played a pretty solid game this year.

If we struggle to find a top 6 forward though I would be glad to trade Edler. I just think it's worth a try to see how a good coach can utilize him and put him in a position to exceed.

Why not keep Ballard and try him with Garrison? Ballard isn't as slow as molasses and is willing to drop the gloves, unlike Edler. A new coach could just as easily help Balalrd return to the defenceman he was before he came here; that player was an excellent player who I was excited we'd managed to aquire.

Edler's a giant liability in his own end and will likely continue to be one.

The only reason I am ok with getting rid of Edler is because we have so many D that are similar. This year has shown that there is nothing that Edler is better at than Garrison, Hamhuis, Bieksa, and even Tanev. Unless you consider his shot, but Garrison can do that just as well.

The team needs, just as much as a top 6 forward, a smooth-skating puck-moving D-man that can actually LEAD the rush on a power play (not rely on the drop pass). There is noone on the team I 100% confident in for this department. I want someone along the lines of Ehrhoff or Green. And this person could play with Garrison, because if we DO get this person, we have a log jam of D again...

Why not keep Ballard and try him with Garrison? Ballard isn't as slow as molasses and is willing to drop the gloves, unlike Edler. A new coach could just as easily help Balalrd return to the defenceman he was before he came here; that player was an excellent player who I was excited we'd managed to aquire.

I've been saying it all season, Edler is most effective when he plays softer minutes. In 2010/11, arguably his best yr in Van, he played soft minutes next to Ehrhoff - he flourished. In 2011/12, he played tougher minutes and struggled. This season for most of the y,r he played shut down minutes and sunk like the titanic.

Hamhuis-Tanev

Edler-Corrado

Garrison- Bieksa

Hamhuis-Tanev have played around 20ish games together over last 2 yrs. Their underlying numbers together are borderline out of this world. They are so good. They've not been on the ice for a single goal against at EV. As the stats guy said, they smother the life out of the opposition. They can eat the 2nd hardest mins.

Edlers 2 best games this yr were played next to Corrado, and the two of them can play soft mins (which suit Edler and any rookie). Garry-Bieksa can take the shut down mins.

Not sure why Edler doesn't get much time with Tanev or Hamhuis - the two calmest guys on our blueline. Makes sense to pair them with the 2 most nervous guys on our team (Edler and Bieksa).

I say evaluate his game before the next trade deadline - if he's still terrible then trade him. Edler had a good 2011 season, an OUTSTANDING 2011 playoff Cup run then a career-best 2012 season, followed by a terrible 2012 playoffs against the Kings (single-biggest reason we lost that round was Alex Edler). Then he had a VERY average 2013 shortened season (minus player most of the way and averaging under the 40 point mark) followed up by another pretty bad 2013 playoffs against the Sharks.

Essentially that's 180 great games, followed by about 60 consecutive average games and that's where this guy stands right now.

Archived