The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

TRADE: The New York Islanders have made a trade with the Philadelphia Flyers.

To PHI:

Henrik Zetterberg

To NYI:

Brad Boyes

Tanner Pearson

Nikita Zadorov

Jarred Tinordi

2014 ANA 1st Round Draft Selection

2014 CAR 2nd Round Draft Selection

2015 PHI 2nd Round Draft Selection

image.png

Philadelphia Flyers State of the Franchise address

Seven weeks on from the appointment of Azzy Mahmood as the General Manager of the Philadelphia Flyers, GM Azzy has been working diligently to restore the once-great franchise to its former glories. Following yet another blockbuster trade Azzy spoke to reporters earlier today. Highlights of that press conference included:

Bold moves:

"I took over a team that was high on potential, but low on scoring. We needed to improve our roster first and foremost, and then assess our draft situation. With a draft class that, quite frankly, doesn't impress me, I knew that we could add some quality players to our team if we sacrificed some draft picks. I am not afraid to trade, as my recent bold moves attest."

The Henrik Zetterberg trade:

"When it became apparent that Henrik could be available, I moved quickly. Following an initial enquiry, it was clear that the Islanders were keen to test the market for such a fantastic player. I pre-empted that by offering the Islanders a package that was too good to refuse, and here we are, a Flyers team that now boasts the captain of Team Sweden at the upcoming Sochi Olympics.

“We are also very proud to announce that Henrik has been named one of our Assistant Captains."

The Jordan Eberle trade:

"This was another trade where my counterpart was keen to test the wider waters, but I stepped in and made an offer the Jets couldn't refuse. Jordan has brought consistent scoring to our line-up and we are very proud to have him as one of our Assistant Captains."

Other moves:

"It has been a busy time for us, but I feel we are moving closer to a roster that will compete harder and entertain our fans much more than it was earlier in the season. Our recent trade of Anders Lindback, who we originally claimed on waivers, allowed us to add two depth forwards and to call up the impressive Kevin Poulin to backup Ondrej Pavelec. I believe our future is looking much brighter than it was in mid-December when I took over."

Departures:

"I am always saddened when I trade a player - it is the very worst part of being a GM. So it therefore goes without saying that I, on behalf of the Flyers management and fans, would like to thank Anders Lindback, Brad Boyes, Jarred Tinordi, Tanner Pearson, Nikita Zadorov, Travis Moen, Brian Gibbons, Zach Budish, Travis Hamonic and Mikhail Grabovski for their contributions to the Flyers, and wish them well with their new teams.

Moving forward:

"The trade deadline is approaching, and we have may yet make another deal or two. Who knows, I might even be tempted into making another franchise-changing trade! All I know is, there are some players here who may interest other teams, and I will always listen to those interested parties.

“I am confident that the moves we are making are in the best interests of the Flyers franchise – and I hope the fans enjoy watching this team."

Waivers: The Philadelphia Flyers place D Zach Redmond on waivers and assign him to the Philadelphia Phantoms.

LTIR activation: The Philadelphia Flyers activate F Mikko Koivu from the LTIR and place him on the active roster.

Revised Philadelphia Flyers lines:

Henrik Zetterberg (A) - Mikko Koivu © - Jordan Eberle (A)

Tuomo Ruutu - David Desharnais - Martin Erat

Taylor Pyatt - Max Lapierre - Ales Hemsky

Radek Dvorak - Colin McDonald - Shawn Thornton

TBC

Dennis Wideman (A) - TJ Brodie

Andrew Ference - Nicklas Grossman

Jordie Benn - Nick Holden

John-Michael Liles - Jean-Philippe Cote

Ondrej Pavelec

Kevin Poulin

Revised Philadelphia Phantoms lines:

Stefan Noesen – Vaclav Prospal – Adam Cracknell

Evgeny Dadonov – Devin Shore – Jerred Smithson

Harri Pesonen – Alan Quine – Spencer Machacek

Alex Friesen – Jamie Arniel – Brad Mills

Zach Redmond -Denis Grebeshkov

Colby Cohen – Matt Konan

Gleason Fournier

Yann Danis

WAIVERS: The Montreal Canadiens have claimed Eric Tangradi from Philadelphia via waivers.

The Habs are pleased to re-acquire Eric. To make room on the active roster:

Assignment: Montreal assigns Erik Haula to North Dakota (does not require waivers).

TRADE: The Ottawa Senators have made a trade with the St. Louis Blues.

To OTT:

Joe Vitale

To STL:

John McFarland

The Blues are glad to Welcome another young Talented Player to the Organisation and wishes Joe all the best in Ottawa.

John wiil get a Contract like all unsigned 2012 Draftpicks after the Season and we hope he will reach NHL Potential sooner or later.

Ugh.... :picard:

Alex Burrows approaching Myron Stankiewicz territory

It started out as a simple enough search. I wanted to see who else this National Hockey League season was struggling to put a puck – just one puck – in the net the way Alex Burrows is. What I discovered was quite startling. Not only is Alex Burrows in a class all his own this season – Burrows is in danger of having a season unlike any other in the nearly 100 year history of the National Hockey League.

With 0 goals and just four points on 62 shots this season, Burrows stands alone this year among NHL forwards. No other forward in the league has taken more than 50 shots without finding the back of the net at least once. No, John McCarthy is the closest guy to Burrows – quickly tell me which team John McCarthy plays for – with 44 shots on goal and a bagel in the goal column. (The answer is he is a sometime San Jose Shark). Washington’s Martin Erat and Boston’s Ryan Spooner are the only other forwards in the league with more than 40 shots and no goals. So it’s a very select club.

But from there, the search quickly turned to a more recent perspective of forwards who had taken 50 shots in a season and hadn’t scored a goal. And over the past 15 seasons, that list produced some dubious names: Jeff Hoggan, Vladimir Zharkov and Bill Muckalt among them. But the grand-daddy of the 50+ shot/0 goal club since 1999-2000 is Pittsburgh’s Craig Adams who took 84 shots in 2009-10 and failed to score a single goal. So Burrows still has time and 22 shots on his side. It has to happen. Doesn’t it?

However, when it comes to the combination of shots on goal and total points among goalless forwards, Alex Burrows is in a league of his own. Not just this season, but FOR ALL TIME. Incredibly, in nearly a century of operation, the National Hockey League has never seen a season like Burrows is having. No forward has ever produced 60 shots and had no goals while collecting just four points.

Now Burrows still has 24 games remaining on the schedule to score a goal and add to his point totals and it’s hard to imagine he won’t. But in the event he is unable to light the lamp and only picks up a few more helpers along the way, he’s in very grave danger of joining a club that has just one member – the 0 goals, 7 points, 60+ shots forward club. And that one member is Myron Stankiewicz. And nobody wants to be in the Myron Stankiewicz club. No one.

As for this season, to lend a little perspective to what Alex Burrows is suffering through with 0 goals on 62 shots, Steven Stamkos has 14 goals on 60 shots and Tyler Bozek has scored 11 times on 47 shots. Even Canuck teammate Zack Kassian has 10 goals on 59 shots.

Boston defenseman Matt Bartkowski is the nearest to Burrows with 0 goals on 61 shots and Tampa blueliner Eric Brewer is the only other player in the league with more than 45 shots on goal without scoring. He’s taken 49 shots. But when it comes to forwards, shooting the puck but not scoring, Alex Burrows is having a season unlike almost any other in the history of hockey. Now, that’s a scoring drought.

St.Louis Blues Stats (Minors Players / Unsigned Draftpicks)

Minors/College Forwards

F Mike Hoffman (AHL) GP 44 G 23 A 32 PTS 55 PIM 24 +/- +5

F Spencer Abbott (AHL) GP 43 G 12 A 35 PTS 47 PIM 8 +/- +9

F Chris Terry (AHL) GP 38 G 14 A 21 PTS 35 PIM 36 +/- -7

F Mike Halmo (AHL) GP 46 G 16 A 15 PTS 31 PIM 108 +/- +7

F Justin Dowling (AHL) GP 46 G 5 a 17 PTS 22 PIM 2 +/- +6

F Josh Jooris (AHL) GP 44 G 7 A 10 PTS 17 PIM 21 +/- +0

F Kevin Sundher (AHL) GP 43 G 5 A 11 PTS 16 PIM 23 +/- -1

F Joey Crabb (AHL) GP 40 G 7 A 8 PTS 15 PIM 37 +/- -5

F Darroll Powe (AHL) GP 42 G 8 A 6 PTS 14 PIM 71 +/- -1

F Dominik Uher (AHL) GP 39 G 5 A 8 PTS 13 PIM 32 +/- +1

F Eric Selleck (AHL) GP 41 G 3 A 4 PTS 7 PIM 91 +/- +3