The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

SIGNING: The New York Islanders have re-signed goaltender Tuukka Rask to a six year deal.

Tuukka Rask: 6 years, $ 48.0 million dollar contract ( $ 8,000,000.00 per season ).

* deal includes a full no-movement-clause in years 1 & 2 of the contract, the remaining 4 years contain a limited no-movement-clause ( Tuukka Rask can list 10 teams he will NOT accept a trade to ).

large_blueshirtbanter.com.minimal.png

The New York Rangers have been talking a lot about their Build from the Paint Out philosophy, and today we will take a good look at how that philosophy has helped to turn around the franchise.

Mike Smith, the de facto number one netminder in the organization was brought in for a five year term ending in summer 2018 at a cost of just 4.6 million - in light of todays signings, this in itself is a significant savings in net for a quality minder on a team that flirts with the playoffs year in and year out.

Backing up Mike Smith via mulitiple trades is young Vancouver Canucks minder Eddie Lack. We revolved the backup position a lot over two seasons to get to the guy we wanted as our backup and capable netminder should Mike Smith once again become injured and Eddie Lack looks like he may well get a decent number of starts in Van now that Big Luuuu is moved out of the job. Will Eddie start, backup or be in a tandem position, is anyones guess at this time, but one thing is certain: our gamble paid off and the Stork will almost certainly start 25+ games next year regardless of how the situation plays out. Did I mention Eddie only costs us 900 thousand a year until the summer of 2016? Bonus!

Moving up from the blue paint to the Blue Line we have invested in multiple stars over multiple years and have had more than our share of disappointment on defense. Two players retiring early, two season ending injuries and a loss to waivers of a very good prospect would likely have decimated the Dcore of most teams, but in New York it only drops us down to 'above average'. This is in large part due to the focus on 'from the paint out' build models.

Currently secured Defensmen include Sami Salo, Jake Muzzin, Alexei Emelin, Kevin Klein, Connor Murphy and Patrick Sieloff, even as we work to bring back the two Andrej's. Sekera and Meszaros. Sheldon Souray is still in recovery from what may turn out to be career ending surgery that forced the star dman to miss the entire 13-14 campaign...but as I said earlier, even with the year over year bad luck on the blue line, we feel we are in a tight contention with our defensive depth. The recent acquisition of young Markus Lauridsen and the soon to be officially announced signing of blueliner prospects Mikko Vainonen and Nick Ebert round out an impressive crew on the back end of a team headed in the right direction.

With all of our success in net and patrolling our own zone on the ice, the Rangers have only just begun to build its core up front. Over the past two years players such as Mikael Backlund, Jarome Iginla, Rene Bourque have joined consumate pro's Tomas Vanek, Jiri Hudler and Matt Stajan in providing offense along with home game Captain Joe Thornton. Last summer it was announced that Sami Salo would be the team captain for away games, with Joe leading the charge on home ice. This coming year, changes are once again coming as the team promises a new Captain on the ice, to be officially unveiled moments before the first puck drops for the 2014-15 season!!!

We look forward to another year of our brand of hockey, forcing our way into the playoffs, and fighting for every point along the way to get there.

Be a part of the challenge, lend your support with a seasons ticket package purchase, or any six game ice pack tickets for two and as always, jersey and merchandise sales at our Team Store.

I think you misunderstand me. I have no hard feelings at all towards you or the league for what happened. You did what you felt was best for your league which is certainly your right to do. The fact is I was in the hospital though and had no access to a computer. To suggest that had nothing to do with it is just not accurate.

How then, did you manage to turn down 5 different trade offers from 5 different teams that I know of, with no counter offer or discussion, that would have gotten you cap compliant and had your teams suspension lifted? Your excuse doesn't pass the sniff test. It took me all of 10 minutes with your roster to make a fast, easy (and beneficial) deal that got your club cap compliant and onto the ice. You were not the victim of some heavy handed league mandate to get rid of you, you were the victim of your own arrogance and mismanagement. The applicants who interviewed for Calgary offered vision and solutions, not excuses.

I wasn't going to bother addressing this, but I don't appreciate having the integrity of the game questioned by someone who made their own bed here. No hard feelings, but playing the innocent victim and insinuating that the league removed you without just cause is not accurate.

SIGNING: The New York Islanders have re-signed goaltender Tuukka Rask to a six year deal.

Tuukka Rask: 6 years, $ 48.0 million dollar contract ( $ 8,000,000.00 per season ).

* deal includes a full no-movement-clause in years 1 & 2 of the contract, the remaining 4 years contain a limited no-movement-clause ( Tuukka Rask can list 10 teams he will NOT accept a trade to ).

The Isles are extremely pleased to have Tuukka back in the fold.

We believe with his presence that we can challenge to get him that 2nd Cup.

With this deal the offseason for the Isles is mostly done barring an ability to add some veteran presence on our bottom 6.

Offseason Lineup:

Schenn-Seguin-Franzen

Wilson-Bergeron-Bennett

Kuznetsov-Cullen-Etem

Clifford-________ -Pearson

Halischuk-Caron

Edler-Garrison

Seidenberg-Hamilton

Regher-Smith

Tinordi

Rask

Gibson

Lowry-Namestnikov-Matteau

Stephenson-Martindale-_______

Morrow-Elliott

Zadorov-Ristolainen

Bystrom-Nemeth

Rutkowski-Bengtsson

Eriksson

Unsigned: Mueller, Bigras, Leipsic, B McGinn, Moutrey, Fournier, Hartman, Hagg

2014 Draft Picks: 8th, 10th, 11th, 18th, 41st, 43rd, 46th

Rumours out of Montreal suggest that the Habs are looking for mid-to-late round draft picks for veterans Erik Cole and Ladislav Smid. With a full compliment of players already under contract and some young kids expected to push for spots out of camp, Montreal GM _arby_18 would like to open up a few roster spots and may be willing to retain some salary for either player depending on the return.

Toronto is looking to move Antoine Vermette in exchange for a good 3rd line player. He could also be packaged with someone else for an upgrade at any position.

Toronto is also in the market for a starting goalie.

the player is delusional if he believes in the fit......there is no way he can fit that much money into his wallet.... :bigblush:

Great player, and locking him up long term is good. I guess it is like I said when Luongo's deal was first announced: the cap will go up and up and up....meaning the % of the cap spent on the guy is going down and down and down So if your prepared to spend that much for the first couple years..after that it is easy as pie.

This must be a terrible, terrible burden.

I personally volunteer to help him find somewhere to put the excess...

Archived