The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Asiana Airlines Boeing 777 Crash at San Francisco Airport

PlayStation

I saw some sets of pictures of this crash and it´s looks like:

1) tail-strike for sure, a "gear-strike" would do a bounced landing but not a belly landing...

2) the airplane stalled before the touchdown, at the tail-strike or way before that. the crash happened with the plane stalled...

3) the weather was ok so the excuse of tailwind isn´t an option, international airports in USA have huge runways, in san Francisco they have 4 runways with 8 avaliable directions for take-off and landing. if the Pilot didn´t feel good to land on that runway he could choose another one...

4) something tells me that the airplane loading wasn´t done correctly. for an Airline Pilot with zillions of hours on simulator trainning emergencies and everything else I can´t imagine that the Captain decided try a short-field landing as done on a small airplane (bush landing tecnique). if he did this he was very stupid...

-in this case the aircraft CG probably moved aft at some point of the approach, the airplane trimmed down as much as it could but at some point the airplane stalled. on a big plane you can´t do anything, on a small airplane you can dump the cargo...

5) even with an engine failure a B777 can continue the approach and land with one engine, after 12 hours of flight the B777 wasn´t heavy at all...

that´s what I think...

I saw some sets of pictures of this crash and it´s looks like:

1) tail-strike for sure, a "gear-strike" would do a bounced landing but not a belly landing...

2) the airplane stalled before the touchdown, at the tail-strike or way before that. the crash happened with the plane stalled...

3) the weather was ok so the excuse of tailwind isn´t an option, international airports in USA have huge runways, in san Francisco they have 4 runways with 8 avaliable directions for take-off and landing. if the Pilot didn´t feel good to land on that runway he could choose another one...

4) something tells me that the airplane loading wasn´t done correctly. for an Airline Pilot with zillions of hours on simulator trainning emergencies and everything else I can´t imagine that the Captain decided try a short-field landing as done on a small airplane (bush landing tecnique). if he did this he was very stupid...

-in this case the aircraft CG probably moved aft at some point of the approach, the airplane trimmed down as much as it could but at some point the airplane stalled. on a big plane you can´t do anything, on a small airplane you can dump the cargo...

5) even with an engine failure a B777 can continue the approach and land with one engine, after 12 hours of flight the B777 wasn´t heavy at all...

that´s what I think...

There could be many reasons for this to happen. Possibilities for landing short could be a bird strike, wrong altimeter readings settings or malfunction, premature thrust reverser deployment, a glide slope issue, fuel line problem similar to the BA accident in London. Who knows at this point as there are dozens of other reasons that may have played a part

CNN now has video up on the website of the crash landing. Not exactly a close up but you can clearly see the nose up on landing and a huge bounce before it slid off the runway.

The guy that filmed the crash is clearly upset, meanwhile his wife is excited that he is filming it... :picard:

Archived