The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is anyone else worrying for Bo Horvat?

Kanucklehead10

It's funny as all hell to watch the Schneider lovers scramble to justify their position.

If I'm not mistaken, Cory Schneider has a playoff record of 1-4 the past two years.

Both goaltenders played phenomenal in the playoffs when called upon the past two years; the problem has and always had been the team in front of them since the 2011 cup run.

But of course that doesn't matter. I almost want Cory to get lit up playing in the eastern conference.

I seem to recall a goaltender not unlike Schneider by the name of Mike Smith traded from Dallas to Tampa Bay.

He was sheltered behind a pretty good defense at the time and a great system decided by if I'm not mistaken, Dave Tippet. After going to Tampa, he was exposed as a sub par goalie. He returns to Phoenix and Tippet and returns to form.

Point is, sometimes it's the system that makes the goalie, not the goalie themselves.

Conversely, Luongo has played insanely well almost his entire time so far on the Canucks with wildly different styles coached by Vigneault from the time he started to now, a fact that shouldn't be so lightly tossed aside.

Food for thought.

Bo Horvat?

His future is Bright, could be a 'real leader' in the future so how he got here seems to be the CDC's problem but not mine.

You can't change the past, at best you can only help guide the future. At least that what I believe MG utlimately decided.

I feel bad for him, because if he doesn't reach expectations (1st line center), he'll get driven right out of this town ala Raymond. What's worse is that he will be expected to have a value equal to that of Schneider, which will be almost impossible.

Good luck kid.

The English language weeps.

The only soap operas and drama in Vancouver are the ones perpetuated by fairweather fans such as yourself, and the media who recognizes you and your ilk.

We have some of the worst media figures here in Vancouver when it comes to media reporting. People call this a "goalie graveyard" or that the fans are "passionate" and "want a cup".

The reality is that the minority happens to be the most vocal, and therefore stand out from the crowd.

This wouldn't be so bad except for the propensity toward displaying bipolar tendencies, and the media acknowledging this by tailoring their sensationalizing "reporting" to said subset of the fan base.

It's because of fans like you who harbor these notions of drama that it even exists in the first place by buying into the crap that the media spews forth on an almost daily basis.

I'm not worried, the kid's going to be just fine.

What I do know is that all those teams have won a Stanley cup and the Canucks have not. I would assume it would be a bit different and there to be extra pressure on top prospects from fans in a cup hungry city like VAN to win one. Especially when Mike Gillis traded your all star goalie of the future (and the present) for 1 prospect that MIGHT pan out to be a good player in the next two years; in other words, the team didn't get any better now than it was before the trade. I think Bo Horvat will be a solid player but I'm simply saying that if the canucks fail to meet their expectations next year and Horvat doesn't make a good impression at camp and the preseason THIS year (basically, doesn't make the team), knowing Vancouver fans, you don't think they won't ask for the GM's head when Schneider is being the saviour of the devils? Saying that Horvat isn't good enough we needed better players, "we could've gotten more"..... Ever since the Kassian/Hodgson trade, all I hear is "fire MG", "Kassian sucks", "Kassian is a bust", and "Why'd we trade Kassian for Hodgson again?", whenever he's not playing like they expect him to be a superstar. I'm just worried that whenever Bo Horvat fails to please the fans, people will continuously bring up "the trade" as they have been already and that it will effect his confidence for development; at a young age, it's easy to gain AND lose confidence. I'm just saying that I hope fans will be patient with him even though he was traded for a star goalie because he IS only 18.

Ok, great but I do not live in Vancouver so I don't know what it's actually like with the fans there; you see, outside of B.C most people actually do believe that it's a soap opera that goes on each year in that players in Vancouver are easy judged for every single small mistake. What you said was correct in that we shouldn't buy into the media and all of the useless drama they create, I'm sorry for that. I'm not sorry for voicing my opinion and I guess it offended you so much to make you pop a blood vessel or something. LOL calling me out as a "fair weather fan", stop being so butt hurt; it's funny how you know nothing about me as a fan and judge me on one thread that states my opinion on whether Horvat might crumble or strive being known as "the guy we traded Schneider for". You're one to talk. A great representative of Vancouver fans...is everybody else in Vancouver so easy angered and as harsh as you are?

With a name like Bo Horvat, he probably would kick someone in the teeth!!! Seriously though, this was a very deep draft. He may even be able to play bottom 6 minutes this season! If we all can remember Kesler from his draft year. He started playing fairly quick and drove Chris Pronger absolutely crazy!!! And Kes was a low pick. Bo is top 10. He should realize there are lofty expectations of him. He's a top 10 pick for god's sake!!! We just drafted a franchise player!!!

The reality of it is, it may actually be better to have him up in a bottom 6 role. The Sedins may be gone after this season, so the team can spend money on becoming a lil stiffer. I for one would love to see one of Gaunce, Schroeder, or Horvat step into that second line center role behind Kesler in 2014. We're gonna need it!!

I feel bad for him, because if he doesn't reach expectations (1st line center), he'll get driven right out of this town ala Raymond. What's worse is that he will be expected to have a value equal to that of Schneider, which will be almost impossible.

Good luck kid.

What I do know is that all those teams have won a Stanley cup and the Canucks have not. I would assume it would be a bit different and there to be extra pressure on top prospects from fans in a cup hungry city like VAN to win one. Especially when Mike Gillis traded your all star goalie of the future (and the present) for 1 prospect that MIGHT pan out to be a good player in the next two years; in other words, the team didn't get any better now than it was before the trade. I think Bo Horvat will be a solid player but I'm simply saying that if the canucks fail to meet their expectations next year and Horvat doesn't make a good impression at camp and the preseason THIS year (basically, doesn't make the team), knowing Vancouver fans, you don't think they won't ask for the GM's head when Schneider is being the saviour of the devils? Saying that Horvat isn't good enough we needed better players, "we could've gotten more"..... Ever since the Kassian/Hodgson trade, all I hear is "fire MG", "Kassian sucks", "Kassian is a bust", and "Why'd we trade Kassian for Hodgson again?", whenever he's not playing like they expect him to be a superstar. I'm just worried that whenever Bo Horvat fails to please the fans, people will continuously bring up "the trade" as they have been already and that it will effect his confidence for development; at a young age, it's easy to gain AND lose confidence. I'm just saying that I hope fans will be patient with him even though he was traded for a star goalie because he IS only 18.

I pity the guy; I don't think he quite understands the chaos and soap operas that's go on here on the west coast since he's an eastern country boy, as well as how important of a figure Cory Schneider was to our fan base and organization. To be under the microscope is one thing, but in Vancouver, it's a whole other level. I know he is a future star and will have a great career ahead of him but if it takes a while for him to reach his potential, say, a couple years (which I think it will take), I think the fans and media will start to question this player and bring negative attention towards him, making him experience too much pressure at a tender age and effect him personally. There are players that thrive under big trades and players that crumble, I just hope he does well here and is able to deal with the problems he will face especially in the next couple of years.

Archived