The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Contract get-out for Luongo?

danaimo

Can someone please explain to me what voiding contract after retirement have anything to do with playing in Europe.....Please correct me if I am wrong but Lu and Canucks can do the same thing that Kovy & Devils did and just void the contract because of "retirement". Then Lu could if he chooses to play in europe or just sit at home then come back in a year or 2. Kovy can do the same thing as well.

I do find it ridiculous that Devils & Kovy can mutually just agree to terminate the contract. This way they don't have to buy him out.

Can someone please explain to me what voiding contract after retirement have anything to do with playing in Europe.....Please correct me if I am wrong but Lu and Canucks can do the same thing that Kovy & Devils did and just void the contract because of "retirement". Then Lu could if he chooses to play in europe or just sit at home then come back in a year or 2. Kovy can do the same thing as well.

I do find it ridiculous that Devils & Kovy can mutually just agree to terminate the contract. This way they don't have to buy him out.

This is my thought also. It makes no difference what passport a player has or what he choses to do when he "retires". If Kovy can do this, perhaps Luongo and Gillis can come to a similar agreement, he sits out for a year and then comes back under a different contract , with Vancouver or any other team he choses.

Luongo's not gonna retire, give your head a shake.

He'll be back in Vancouver in the fall. Management isn't gonna go with two rookie goalies next season.

This deal was done with New Jersey because both sides wanted to part ways. Kovy wanted out, and the Devils couldn't afford him.

The Canucks would still be on the hook for $1 million per year on the cap for the next 8 years. Not a disaster, but not ideal. I assume to NHL is now going to clarify it's position on players returning from "retirement". It'll be interesting for sure. though.

I'm starting to realize that there is must be something more to this whole story. I wonder if Panthers mgmt. have duped Lou into thinking the Canucks will either buy him out and or they will make a deal to bring him to Flor. That or they duped GMMG into thinking they would cough up a prospect for Lou at the draft only to pull out at the last second. Florida has 15 mill of cap space and no goalie. The whole world knows Luo wants to play in Fla so whats the hold up. A 5.3 mill cap hit for a top notch goalie is decent y todays market and will get even better next year. This whole thing stinks

Management didn't want to do anything like this. If they did, they would have just bought him out. They felt it was better to trade Schneider.

Also, as I understand it, the Devils are still on the hook for $300,000 in cap space for the next 12 or so years.

nothing wrong with the other comment... lou is italian ... irregardless if you think his 5.3 mill is great or not... if he wants to be with his wife and family then it would make sense to join a pro team there...or where ever his wife wants to him to go...

Management didn't want to do anything like this. If they did, they would have just bought him out. They felt it was better to trade Schneider.

Also, as I understand it, the Devils are still on the hook for $300,000 in cap space for the next 12 or so years.

This sounds and smells like a loophole to me but it can't be that simple.

So Kovi 'retired' but is playing in the KHL ... how does that work?

At the end, it looks like 2 parties mutually agreeing to void contract. What is the cap hit on this for NJ?

The NHL isn't stupid. This is basically a free buyout for teams that want to void contracts.

Don't think that there won't be penalties if any other teams try it.

Kovalchuk's story of wanting to be in Russia with his family is at least believable. If Luongo did it, the NHL would see right through his motives.

Could only find older info on the NHL Bylaws, so not sure if this still applies. But here's a summary of Section 8, Voluntary Retired List, of the NHL Bylaws:

A player who files for retirement is removed from the Reserve List of his team and placed on the League's Voluntarily Retired List.

- He cannot be removed from the list within 1 calendar year of playing for any professional league in North America or any professional/amateur team outside of North America, without the unanimous consent of all member teams.

- After 1 year he may be transferred back from the Reserve List of the original team if that team files any currently valid contract, option or try-out.

- A player entered on the league Voluntary Retired List:

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, as a player for a period of three years from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

and

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, in any other capacity for a period of one year from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

So technically neither Kovalchuk nor Luongo will be able to play for any professional teams for three years if they retire unless their original clubs provide written authorization. Presumably they wouldn't be able to play in the Sochi Olympics either.

http://www.bizofhockey.com/docs/NHLBy-Laws.pdf

The NHL isn't stupid. This is basically a free buyout for teams that want to void contracts.

Don't think that there won't be penalties if any other teams try it.

Kovalchuk's story of wanting to be in Russia with his family is at least believable. If Luongo did it, the NHL would see right through his motives.

Archived