The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospects playing in world juniors

avelanch

I think it's great to know that we'll have some prospects playing in the world juniors this year, especially for Team canada (at least 1 should make it). It's been a while (since Hodgson's dominating performance) that we have a player on team canada to cheer for.

anyway, here's an article starting the hype machine, mentioning our 3 potential team canada players:

World Juniors: Team Canada starts to take shape

Jake.jpg?1374170275

July 18, 2013

Posted in BC Edition, Alberta Edition, Ontario Edition, Hockey Canada

Photo: Jake Paterson of the OHL's Saginaw Spirit is likely to be a key returnee for Team Canada at the World Juniors. (Terry Wilson / OHL Images)

By Mark Janzen

The heavy lifting starts now.

For Canada’s national Junior squad, the road to recapturing gold will begin in earnest in August and for impatient Canadians, the team’s turnaround can’t commence soon enough.

For Canadian junior hockey fans, it’s expected – or, perhaps more appropriately, demanded – that this summer will bring the Maple Leafed ones out of Canada’s version of the dark ages.

Over-dramatic? Perhaps. Kind of serious? More than likely.

In reality, finishing off the podium, as Canada did last year in Ufa, Russia for the first time since 1998, isn’t acceptable, both for Hockey Canada and its ardent fans.

So begins a new era, which includes head scout Ryan Jankowski – having replaced long-time head scout Kevin Prendergast this spring – and new/old head coach Brent Sutter.

With that, Canada will open its national Junior summer development camp in early August – the seven-day “preliminary tryout” starts on Aug. 4 in Brossard, Que. and concludes Aug. 10 after a three-game exhibition series against Finland, Sweden and the U.S.A. – with a group eying gold and certainly more than capable of executing the plan.

With Sutter, the golden-aged guard has returned. After all, it was Sutter who had the red and white singing 'O Canada' on the tournament’s final day in both 2005, in Grand Forks, N.D. and in 2006, in Vancouver. Along the way, Sutter’s teams went a perfect 12-0. Hockey Canada is quite clearly confident he can replicate his international magic.

Sutter aside, as the team prepares to open its summer camp, the group of players arriving in Brossard is an impressive lot. Indeed the worry-warted pessimists of this country should be at ease. The potential for this year’s team is Baffin Island vast.

Consider the potential returnees.

Jonathan Drouin. Nathan MacKinnon. Griffin Reinhart. Morgan Rielly. Jake Paterson.

All but Paterson have a pretty good chance of sticking with their respective NHL clubs next year, but certainly there are no guarantees. And if, any of the four potentially returning skaters, are back with Canada come the World Junior tournament, look out. It could get crazy. Without question, any of those four would immediately be amongst the best players in the tournament. They are wild cards, but, if they return, their potential is enormous. As a side note, Drouin, MacKinnon, Reinhart and Rielly will all attend the early portion of Canada’s camp in Brossard, but won’t play in the exhibition games.

However, there is a chance all four skaters may not return.

Remarkably, that wouldn’t be the end of the world.

Consider the new guys.

In net, battling Paterson in the summer will be Zachary Fucale, who is coming off a Memorial Cup championship and was recently selected by Montreal in the second round of the 2013 NHL Draft, and Eric Comrie, who was also nabbed second round of this year’s NHL draft by Winnipeg. At this stage, any of those three – and one could add uninvited Tristan Jarry to that mix, who was picked in the second round by Pittsburgh this year – could be Canada’s starter come Boxing Day. And, at the same time, could be the goalkeeper to make Canadians forget the recent follies seen in Canada’s world junior crease.

On the blueline, there is some serious talent that has the making of creating a daunting defensive unit. Of the 10 defenceman in camp, not one stands less than 6-feet tall. Six of those 10 were picked in the first round of the NHL draft, either in 2012 or 2013, three went in the second round of one of those drafts and one was a third rounder.

Expect the likes of Derrick Pouliot and Matthew Dumba to headline the group. Add to that the recently drafted Darnell Nurse and Josh Morrisey plus players like Ryan Pulock and Adam Pelech and indeed the blueline will be solid. If Reinhart or Rielly return, it’ll be downright impenetrable.

Then there’s the forward unit, where skill flows like wine and will flock to Malmo, Sweden like the salmon of Capistrano.

Returnees aside, the fun will start with the forwards.

There are the tantalizing youngsters like Sam Reinhart and Connor McDavid. And then there are the recently drafted lot like Bo Horvat, who will instantly become a fan favourite in Canada, Hunter Shinkaruk, Max Domi, Sean Monahan, Curtis Lazar, Anthony Mantha, Kerby Rychel and Nic Petan.

And, of course, there is a group of 19-year-olds that certainly have the potential to lead Canada to gold; players like Charles Hudon – who made the team last year but missed the tournament due to injury – Brendan Gaunce, Scott Laughton and Brendan Leipsic. If none of these make their respective NHL clubs, the post-Christmas fireworks will be bright.

The path to Malmo is already being hoed.

And, if the summer camp roster is any indication, this team has more than enough tools to bring Canada back into the renaissance.

Cederholm should be playing for Sweden as well.

Subban also has an outside chance this year. We know how politics plays into the selections sometimes, so maybe Hockey Canada will give him a look because he's a Subban. He'll still have to start the season off on fire though.

Subban also has an outside chance this year. We know how politics plays into the selections sometimes, so maybe Hockey Canada will give him a look because he's a Subban. He'll still have to start the season off on fire though.

agree with both statments. cederholm would be a man playing against boys if he played for team sweden. and canucks fans know all about the poltics idea as well. still remember bob mac saying how shocked he was the corrado was cut. and how pissed gillis seemed to be that corrado got cut

Cederholm is unlikely going to play with Sweden. Didn't get invited to the U18s and didn't even get invited to evaluation camp this summer.

Subban was also not invited to TC's camp. He has no chance at cracking that defense even with a hot start. If Murphy got ripped up as a selection last year, Subban is an even worse version of Murphy and smaller.

Cassels does not have a chance. Was not invited to their camp either and they rarely make selections that aren't invited to camp. Cassels also has no USNTDP experience and a lot of their centers will be available for the tournament. They invited Vail and I would certainly take him over Cassels.

Fans should not be getting their hopes up for these three to make their respective wjc teams this year.

Stop pretending like you have any idea who the teams will be looking at come World Junior time.

A player doesn't have to be invited to a development camp to make the team. Sure it helps, but it doesn't guarantee anything.

Yes Cederholm has a chance. He has played in many Swedish tournaments and was playing in the SEL as an 18 year old. The fact that he'll be playing for the Winterhawks has also raised his stock big time. Not to mention he's one of the best Swedish stay-at-home d-men in his age group. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it.

Like I said, Subban is an outside chance this year, but I could definitely see him making the team next year. To say he doesn't have a chance is just silly though. He put up great numbers as a 17 year old, and will only get better next season.

Cassels again is another outside chance, but he has a shot. Lots of players have played for Team USA without playing for USNTDP first. That doesn't kill his chances at all. Being a recent 3rd round pick, and possible captain of the Generals will definitely make team USA take notice.

Couldn't the bolded apply to you too? Stop pretending like you know who has a chance and doesn't. Stop giving people hope when there is none.

If Cederholm is considered "one of the best Swedish stay at home defensemen in his age group" why was he not invited for U18s? Team Sweden surely could have used him as there was no one like him on the roster, and they struggled mightily defensively. His season was done, Rogle was relegated . He was completely free to play. So why was he left at home? They chose Hagg (no brainer), Andersson (Underager), Westlund (7th round pick), Borgman (Undrafted), Aho (Underager) and Norell (4th rounder). If he is THAT good, explain it.

Subban has no chance. I can say it a few more times for you if you like. Where were we talking about next year's team? We are talking this year's team. Rielly/Morrissey/Pouliot/Pulock/Dumba all bring what Subban does and more without the significant issues defensively and without the major size disadvantage. Looks like TC sees that, can you? Look at it from a non-Canuck fan perspective. Subban making Team Canada would be a mistake.

Again, Cassels does not have a chance, barring a Trocheck like season where he is OHL MVP and the OHL's leading scorer. Trocheck did not go through the USNTDP program, went straight to the OHL. He and Galchenyuk were the only ones of their kind to make it on that team. Do you envision that kind of a season from Cassels? Does he have the talent of a top 3 pick? Cassels does not and even hoping for a strong season like Trocheck's is crazy. The year previous to that, the only player was Austin Watson. The year before that, zero. Politics are a major player for Team USA, moreso than Team Canada.

I wouldn't call myself a fortune teller, but i am not deluded and am not going to give fans false hope. I'll toss you a bone though, I'd give Cederholm the highest chance because Sweden has had major injuries on defense in the past.

is it a first time we could have three canucks prospect at the world junior tournamnet....Horvat, shinkaruk, and Gaunce......

Subban could probably make the team even with his size problem but unlikely this year maybe next ......Ryan Ellis made it too and they like the same size

All I said was that they have a small chance. You're the one that said they had no chance. Seems like you're making more of a matter of fact claim than me.

Cederholm's stock was only raised this season, so that's why he didn't play in the U18's. Haag has been highly touted for a few years now, that's why he was a first round pick. It's not uncommon for 5th round picks to have their stock rise after they're drafted and make their countries Junior teams.

If players like Dumba (highly overrated) and Murphy can make team Canada, so can Subban. It's not all about where a player was drafted, sometimes it's about the name on the sweater. Having the third Subban suit up for team Canada is something that would be a thought for their selections. It's not like he doesn't have the numbers to back it up, and he was voted as the second best offensive defensive in the Eastern Conference by coaches.. He'll likely be on the team next season, but I wouldn't say it's impossible he makes it this season.

You seem to think that teams only design rosters based on players with the highest stock. Sometimes GMs design teams based on specific roles. Like I said it's unlikely but not impossible. If they're looking for a fourth line center with good checking abilities and who plays the game hard, Cassels is that player. He also has a recognizable name in the hockey world, and that can go along way.

You seem to be trying to make an argument out of me saying a player has a chance. I didn't even say they had good chances. But to write them off as impossibilities is silly. If Frankie Corrado can almost make team Canada, I don't see why other later round picks can't

Archived