The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Olympics] OFFICIAL TEAM CANADA 2014 (everything related here please)

Hey guys,

So obviously the bulk of evaluation by the front office of team Canada will take place during the first half of the NHL regular season. There will be so called “locks”, but many of the players selected will be a result of them having a strong first half to the 2013-14 season which pushed them onto the team. Without knowing which players will play well enough to make it, try to predict the team from this point in time, the pre-season. This is not who you would like to have on the team, it is which players you think Canada’s brass will select to represent the country in Sochi. Remember, it is a 25-man roster. Here is my prediction:

R. Nash – S. Crosby – S. Stamkos

J. Tavares – J. Toews – C. Giroux

E. Staal – R. Getzlaf – C. Perry

P. Sharp – P. Bergeron – J. Carter

M. Richards, L. Couture

D. Keith – S. Weber

P. Subban – D. Doughty

D. Hamhuis – A. Peitrangelo

K. Letang, M. Staal

R. Luongo

C. Price

C. Ward

Notes:

- Despite the fact that Giroux skipped team Canada’s orientation camp, I think he is simply too good to leave off the team.

- As long as the two Staals (Eric and Marc) can show they are not being held back due to their respective injuries, I see both of them making the team.

- I think Hamhuis, Carter, Sharp, Richards, and Couture will all push onto the team with strong play in the first half.

- The only non-camp invite to make the team will be Ward. I believe that he will bounce back from injury and play well in the first half.

Thoughts? What would your pre-season prediction be of team Canada for Sochi?

don't think ward was invited

M. St.Louis - S. Crosby - S. Stamkos --------- St.Louis-Stamkos is already the best 1-2 punch in the NHL. Throw in Crosby....

J. Tavares - C. Giroux - R. Nash ----------- 2 skilled forwards and a power forward. Great combo.

P. Bergeron - J. Toews - E. Staal ------------ Ultimate shutdown line.

T. Hall - R. Getzlaf - C. Perry ------------- Line with size and skill.

L. Couture- J. Carter -------------- Carter brings goals, Couture brings good all-round skillset.

S. Weber - D. Keith ------- Great all-round pairing.

D. Doughty- A. Pietrangelo -------- 2 d-men with good 2-way ability.

P. Subban - D. Hamhuis ---------- Hammer can cover for Subbans sloppy defence.

K. Letang - B. Seabrook ----------- Letang has great offensive ability, Seabrook has olympic experience.

C. Price

R. Luongo

C. Crawford

Depends on who's better at the time.

My roster would look like this:

Forward:

Burrows-Crosby-St. Louis

Hall-Toews-Lecavelier

Nash-Getzlaf-Bergeron

Camalleri-Richard-Bolland

Spezza

IR: Eberle, Tavares

Defense:

Keith-Seabrook

Weber-Bouwmeester

Hamhuis-Subban

Doughty

Goal:

Luongo

Ward

Dubnyk

This lineup I know will cause great controversy - largely since I named many players who weren't even invited. I can tell you though that this lineup should give Canada a good chance to claim gold on Olympic ice. I largely character skaters with speed and skill over size (people may question Burrows' character, but barring his embellishment, he generally shows up and performs well under pressure). Burrows, I feel, could make a great third linemate for Crosby and Stamkos, help cover them defensively while they go to work on offense.

Lecavalier, I know is the next biggest question mark, due to his injuries. He may get injured again, he may not, but until he does, he'll fit in with Toews and Hall. This line should actually resemble Toews' own Chicago line with Kane and Hossa.

As for goal, I think Ward and Dubnyk are excellent backups behind Luongo - in fact Dubnyk has never lost an international competition and Ward is one of the best in the clutch.

You're over-thinking this way too much.

Why do so many people not include St. Louis in their lineup? He just won the Art Ross again and is consistently among the top point scorers in the league.

I would not at all be surprised if St. louis made the team. But, the reason why I didn't was because he is undersized and is getting older. Canada has so many great offensive players to choose from and I just think there are younger, bigger players that Canada could choose from.

I would not at all be surprised if St. louis made the team. But, the reason why I didn't was because he is undersized and is getting older. Canada has so many great offensive players to choose from and I just think there are younger, bigger players that Canada could choose from.

Size doesn't matter as much on the big ice as it does here, yet he still has success. And I would say his age would be great to have on the team. His veteran experience will be needed for a team filled with younger players.

I'd certainly take him before Sharp, Couture, Richards, Carter, and probably many others as well.

Size doesn't matter as much on the big ice as it does here, yet he still has success. And I would say his age would be great to have on the team. His veteran experience will be needed for a team filled with younger players.

I'd certainly take him before Sharp, Couture, Richards, Carter, and probably many others as well.

You do raise a good point in that St. Louis would play well on the big ice.... Like I said I wouldn't be suprised if he made it and I think he deserves it.

Who do you think should be captain?

Now the team looks like it will be mainly younger players, as opposed to having all the veteran experience we had last time. No Niedermayer, Pronger, probably no Iginla as well. No one really seems like a shoe-in for the C.

So who would you pick? Someone like Crosby or Toews, or one of the vets like St. Louis or Boyle (if they make it of course). Tough choice.

You do raise a good point in that St. Louis would play well on the big ice.... Like I said I wouldn't be suprised if he made it and I think he deserves it.

Yzerman is picking the teams again, right? With that in mind, along with everything else, I'd be surprised if he didn't make the team.

Have to think how bad that would look for his own GM to pass up on him after winning an Art Ross. :P

Archived