The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article)NHL goalie rankings: Is Luongo still elite?

naslund.is.king

So, it didn't matter in the 15 games he won? Only in the 16th the team didn't win? And you're letting the team slide for failing to score "when it matters"?

What about all the time BP didn't poke a hole in the bottom of the ocean?

Obviously overkill, but Lu doesn't get a pass on his terrible games as any other player on the team.

What about all the time BP didn't poke a hole in the bottom of the ocean?

Obviously overkill, but Lu doesn't get a pass on his terrible games as any other player on the team.

I'm not saying he does get a free pass. But why does the rest of the team? People can't harp enough about Luo not getting a shutout "when it really mattered" but don't even mention that we did not score a single goal in Game 7, scored only 8 goals in total in the SCF, and dropped our total scoring in the playoffs far more than Luo's SV% dropped from the regular season. We were the regular season's best scoring team but were kept to a single goal or none at all in 8 games. Why is it that it only matters when Luo had a bad game but not when the rest of the team didn't do their part?

There are dozens of threads belittling Luo for us not winning the Cup, but I don't recall seeing any about the team not scoring enough. Hockey is a team sport, so why is Luo more personally responsible than the entire rest of the team combined?

Ya but he gets no credit for when he plays good.

Luongo never gets credit when he plays good? Everybody does, you make him seem like the unfortunate guy. Just get your bias out of here it's unreal how much you love him.

Luongo never gets credit when he plays good? Everybody does, you make him seem like the unfortunate guy. Just get your bias out of here it's unreal how much you love him.

When was the last time you saw someone popping up and saying "Lu was the difference"? Take a piece of your own advice. When do you ever see him get the props he deserves? Never... All CDC is filled with is haters like you who sit there and type up 5 short sentence paragraphs.

This is CDCs haters general blue print for a response.

Laugh of some sort (LOL/HAHA) Followed by some sort of name calling or slander to the poster.

<Space>

Reference to being a Lu lover/Homer followed by pointless sentence.

Some sort of statistic when Luongo let in more than 3 goals in the past. Followed by you're living in the past.

or

Hand picked statistics of when Lu got lit up. Followed by "he isn't good when it matters"

I understand why everyone at my work makes fun of me for liking the Canucks(I work in Alberta) it's because fans like you. You know what they all say? Luongos an amazing goalie on a soft team with crappy bandwagon fans.

That's what I catch the most flack for, they all dislike our fans because of people like you, variable, Cyril Sneer. All these people who come on here and pass such harsh judgement on one of the most accomplished goalies in the NHL.

Brodeur had sub-par seasons and was still considered elite. Roy got lit up and was still considered elite.

Luongos statistics are on par with them as well, in terms of GAA and SV%.

It actually makes me sad all these people in this other thread saying Eriksson should be the back up for Lu. It shows how uneducated they all really are. 1st of all, what has Eriksson done? NOTHING, while Lack has shown promise. 2nd Lack has a 1 way deal, so it really shows how much people on CDC really actually know about their team or hockey in general. Canuck fans are nothing but bandwagoning brats.

Burrows, do we really need him?

All the trade Booth threads.

Luongo threads.

How about you guys learn how to support your god damn team before you complain about them not winning a Stanley Cup...How about you start actually cheering during the games before you whine and say they have no energy. How about you stop ragging on Luongo, or any player at that, when they are going through a tough time. Kevin Weekes nailed it about this community and then CDC proceeds to discredit someone who actually made it to the NHL. Who cares if he didn't fair well, still made it to the NHL. I think he knows just a little more than you do.

/endrant

I'm player fan 1st

Canucks fan 2nd.

LOL, when it matters is a stupid term? No wonder your a Lou fan. When it matters is more important in the playoffs then anything. When it matters is when the truly elite raise there game and give there team the chance they need to win. Lou has often failed when it matters and that's why there are so many critical fans because he doesn't perform well when it matters.

seems like the team didn't give Lou that chance, instead of scoring some goals they expected him to do everything?

When was the last time you saw someone popping up and saying "Lu was the difference"? Take a piece of your own advice. When do you ever see him get the props he deserves? Never... All CDC is filled with is haters like you who sit there and type up 5 short sentence paragraphs.

Laugh of some sort (LOL/HAHA) Followed by some sort of name calling or slander to the poster.

<Space>

Some sort of statistic when Luongo let in more than 3 goals in the past. Followed by you're living in the past.

or

Hand picked statistics of when Lu got lit up. Followed by "he isn't good when it matters"

I understand why everyone at my work makes fun of me for liking the Canucks(I work in Alberta) it's because fans like you. You know what they all say? Luongos an amazing goalie on a soft team with crappy bandwagon fans.

That's what I catch the most flack for, they all dislike our fans because of people like you, variable, Cyril Sneer. All these people who come on here and pass such harsh judgement on one of the most accomplished goalies in the NHL.

Brodeur had sub-par seasons and was still considered elite. Roy got lit up and was still considered elite.

It actually makes me sad all these people in this other thread saying Eriksson should be the back up for Lu. It shows how uneducated they all really are. 1st of all, what has Eriksson done? NOTHING, while Lack has shown promise. 2nd Lack has a 1 way deal, so it really shows how much people on CDC really actually know about their team or hockey in general. Canuck fans are nothing but bandwagoning brats.

Luongo threads.

How about you guys learn how to support your god damn team before you complain about them not winning a Stanley Cup...How about you start actually cheering during the games before you whine and say they have no energy. How about you stop ragging on Luongo or any player at that when they are going through a tough time. Kevin Weekes nailed it about this community and then CDC proceeds to discredit someone who actually made it to the NHL. Who cares if he didn't fair well, still made it to the NHL. I think he knows just a little more than you do.

/endrant

I'm player fan 1st

Canucks fan 2nd.

One second let me kiss Luongos ass like no tomorrow. Sound good? If you are gonna whine and complain about CDC and how we don't support our players then leave. Nobody is stopping you, I don't want to ruin your day.

Anyways what makes you think i'm a bandwagoner? Just because i'm having a discussion with you about how Luongo isn't elite? Real fans face the reality you are obviously letting your homerism get infront of you, if you want to support him face the reality don't just come up with stats from 2 years ago when he was elite. He is he elite currently? No he is not, was he 2 years ago? Yes he was. You are coming with statistics from 2 years ago. Re read the OP's post, Is Luongo currently elite? Then tell me your answer.

<Space>

or

Luongo threads.

How about you guys learn how to support your god damn team before you complain about them not winning a Stanley Cup...How about you start actually cheering during the games before you whine and say they have no energy. How about you stop ragging on Luongo, or any player at that, when they are going through a tough time. Kevin Weekes nailed it about this community and then CDC proceeds to discredit someone who actually made it to the NHL. Who cares if he didn't fair well, still made it to the NHL. I think he knows just a little more than you do.

/endrant

I'm player fan 1st

Canucks fan 2nd.

It's just a message board man, calm yourself..People have different opinions. Deal with it.

One second let me kiss Luongos ass<Luongo lover reference> like no tomorrow. Sound good? If you are gonna whine and complain about CDC and how we don't support our players then leave. Nobody is stopping you, I don't want to ruin your day.<Pointless sentence>

Anyways what makes you think i'm a bandwagoner? Just because i'm having a discussion with you about how Luongo isn't elite? Real fans face the reality you are obviously letting your homerism<homerism reference> get infront of you, if you want to support him face the reality don't just come up with stats from 2 years ago when he was elite. He is he elite currently? No he is not, was he 2 years ago? Yes he was. You are coming with statistics from 2 years ago. <living in the past> Re read the OP's post, Is Luongo currently elite? Then tell me your answer.

Was Brodeur elite from 1998-2002? Yup he sure was... Were is numbers in those particular years spectacular? No not really.... actually below average on team that was touted for its defence.

2 years (especially a shortened season where he was placed back-up) doesn't define when a goalie is no longer elite. Also, 1 year of "average" play should never cause a goalie like Lu to be put on the back burner... That's bandwagoning by the management, media, and fans.

One second let me kiss Luongos ass like no tomorrow. Sound good? If you are gonna whine and complain about CDC and how we don't support our players then leave. Nobody is stopping you, I don't want to ruin your day.

Anyways what makes you think i'm a bandwagoner? Just because i'm having a discussion with you about how Luongo isn't elite? Real fans face the reality you are obviously letting your homerism get infront of you, if you want to support him face the reality don't just come up with stats from 2 years ago when he was elite. He is he elite currently? No he is not, was he 2 years ago? Yes he was. You are coming with statistics from 2 years ago. Re read the OP's post, Is Luongo currently elite? Then tell me your answer.

Well, if you remember how he was in the first half of the season when he was top 5 in every category until that Detroit game where we played brutal defense.. oh, AND that Edmonton game where we had crap defense. My point is if we played even decent defense consistently, his stats would be much better.

It's just a message board man, calm yourself..People have different opinions. Deal with it.

I have no problem with different opinions, I actually had a couple solid debates with dragonfruit/nit.nuck/even variable on these boards that all ended with figurative fist bumps and cheers. What I have a problem with is the name calling and the negativity. Everything I said in my post is nothing short of the truth.

Was Brodeur elite from 1998-2002? Yup he sure was... Were is numbers in those particular years spectacular? No not really.... actually below average on team that was touted for its defence.

2 years (especially a shortened season where he was placed back-up) doesn't define when a goalie is no longer elite. Also, 1 year of "average" play should never cause a goalie like Lu to be put on the back burner... That's bandwagoning by the management, media, and fans.

? How am I living in the past? You are the one, previously discussing about Luongo 2 years ago. The stats he put up in that year were pretty good? Probably the best from those years... Ever since that playoff run Luongo hasn't been elite, he doesn't put up stats like Quick and Lundqvist. < Those guys are elite goaltenders in todays NHL. I'm not talking about 5 years ago, buddy. I'm talking about today. You want to talk about 2 years when Luongo was elite, but now he isn't elite and you don't want to face it.

Bias? Get your bias out of here, hypocrit. You don't like Lou so you diss him from every angle, yet accuse others of being bias. Shame

Well, if you remember how he was in the first half of the season when he was top 5 in every category until that Detroit game where we played brutal defense.. oh, AND that Edmonton game where we had crap defense. My point is if we played even decent defense consistently, his stats would be much better.

They could have been, but it was a shortened season so I guess it would be hard to argue if he would have put up the same stats if it was a 82 game season.

Archived