The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"What Happened When My Son Wore A Pink Headband To Walmart" (Long read)

PrideInThisTeam

Sucks that we still live in a society where what we wear needs to be scrutinized by others. I would not tell my kid or friend or a stranger that they couldn't wear something because they are the wrong gender. That is archaic and simple-minded. When my son wanted a "girly" backpack for school, I did let him know (sadly) that he might get bugged for it. He still picked a girly backpack (a little less obvious than the Hello Kitty one he originally picked) and guess what? Not a single kid bugged him about it. WHY? Because hopefully enough of us parents are teaching our kids to be more open-minded, accepting, and able to see people for who they are on the inside.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the "what did you expect?" mentality, either. Yes, there are people like the hillbilly in the world, but we should just excuse it and say, "Well, jerks will be jerks"? Maybe more stories like this rant will make people see how acting like a neanderthal over what a little kid is wearing is just plain idiotic. Oh, wait. Forgot I was talking about the internet. nvm

i have a very hard time believing this story with the many strange facts in it

the fact no one did anything or came up to her

the fact the son didn't cause a store wide panic after the incident

the face she did nothing except blog about it later

doing a little more research on her it seems like she is known for stretching the truth and making up stuff to get more hits on her site however this one proved to be too much it seems as her site is currently down

true or false she is a horrible mother either way

true she did nothing to defend her child other than blog about she should of gone straight to a manager or the police

false she is using her child to drive up traffic on her site which is downright pathetic and disgusting

So apparently she has gone to the authorities about this. Don't know if that adds more credibility or not.

From Huff-po

Update 8/4/13: For more on this story readers can visit the author's Facebook page. In her most recent post there she says that she has spoken with the local police department about the incident, and writes: "The Polk County Sheriff's Deputy has just left our home, and all information about the original Wal Mart incident and the ongoing harassment has been documented and is being dealt with. I have been advised NOT to say any more about the situation, as the investigation is ongoing, so thank you all for your support, but I am going to be offline for the next while until all of this is resolved."

i have a very hard time believing this story with the many strange facts in it

the fact no one did anything or came up to her

the fact the son didn't cause a store wide panic after the incident

the face she did nothing except blog about it later

doing a little more research on her it seems like she is known for stretching the truth and making up stuff to get more hits on her site however this one proved to be too much it seems as her site is currently down

true or false she is a horrible mother either way

true she did nothing to defend her child other than blog about she should of gone straight to a manager or the police

false she is using her child to drive up traffic on her site which is downright pathetic and disgusting

Sounds like an over-reaction to me with a lot of half true conjecture. Did the man assualt the child, maybe in the messed up court of law. The lady stated he didn't really hit him, he called him a name which has no meaning for Dexter. Then she goes and complains that no one helped her, after she had already stated she doesn't leave the house often by herself. Also acted like smelling of cigarettes and beer is a crime. She didn't say he was drunk.

Maybe it was wrong for him to do but it really was just a tiny incident and unfortuantely real life has lots of little events like this. People shouldn't freak about stuff like but concentrate on real problems because we all have enough of those. Lastly, it's unfortunate that not eveyone is accepted in this world but parents should have better common sense then to put their children in a postion to be ostricized or have a better strategy to cope with it. Sounds like she fell apart.

Archived