The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins plan to stay in Vancouver with the Canucks

elvis15

I have a job. If I took a pay cut when I signed my next contract, the company I work for could afford to serve better lunches or throw better company barbecues. But I prefer to get regular raises. I know I am valued and respected by the way my boss treats me. I'm not making millions of dollars per year, but I'm willing to bet that hockey players have human feelings too. It's easy to look in from the outside as fans and say, "they should understand that it's better for everyone if they take cuts. Besides, they're millionaires already so why not?" But imagine your company offering you less despite your incredible level of professionalism, class, performance, and value. They deserve, and will get as much or more than they are getting now. Anything else would be disrespectful and unprofessional.

As for the comments about not ever winning the Cup with these guys getting paid top dollar...how is not paying them top dollar going to magically give this team a chance? Use the extra 3 or 4 million dollars to sign a UFA? Like who? Derek Roy, perhaps? Or maybe someone like Boyd Gordon or Viktor Stalberg? Is one of these type of guys really going to make this team that much better than filling the roster spot with one of our entry level contract prospects? I think the point you guys are trying to make is that the Canucks can't win the Cup with the Sedins leading them. It's not really about how much they're making, is it?

People say this team needs a reset. That is what is needed when the group dynamics no longer function well enough to get the job done. The individual ability is definitely capable of winning. I think the reset we needed was a change in coaching. With comments like the one Henrik made about how easy it was playing under Vigneault, it makes one wonder how much this team could have achieved under a leader that pushed them to be more. Leniency does not foster mental toughness. No matter how professional you are and how much you want to do your best, complacency leaks in without pressure. Like when I lay off my students a little, their spelling quiz scores take a dive. It's inevitable. It remains to be seen if Tortorella and crew is the answer, but at least strong leadership is something he's known for. If players are so fragile they can't take the occasional berating from their coach, how will they be able to take the injustices they run up against during a season, like biased officiating or unbalanced criticism from everyone else?

Henrik commented that he and Daniel are familiar with playing solid defensively and being relied upon in important game situations. They learned that system in Sweden and to an extent under Crawford. There's no reason to think they can't or won't play a more well rounded game with a different system in place.

Something that we're all overlooking too is the impact realignment will have on this team. While the miles traveled will still be heavy, many more of their road games will at least be played in the same timezone. Also, the level of competition the past few years from divisional rivals has been horrible, to put it mildly. You improve by testing yourself against the best. Having stiffer competition in the regular season absolutely will toughen them up more for the playoffs. Maybe they won't cruise to another President's trophy win, but it will be better medicine having to work that much harder to win it. I've heard the argument that realignment will hurt the Canucks' chances of even making the playoffs, so therefore it's bad for the team. Well if that's true, and they can't play with the best in the division, then this team isn't good enough to win in the playoffs anyway. But I don't believe that for a second.

Regarding re-alignment - a lot of eastern & a few western teams will have a rude awakening in regards to the wear & tear of the additional travelling. With this new balanced-schedule....the bus leagues in particular...will have to take more long-distance flights...entering other other time zones - more frequently than EVER before.

For the Canucks...their travel miles aren't changing all that much...in fact there may even be some improvements. And - the intensity of their rivalries with those Californian teams will be turbo-charged. Can't wait to see how things transpire this season. It's a new NHL-world...& I hope it results in continued success for our Canucks & the Sedins.

IF - only the NHL's Head Office & board rooms would undergo similar shake-ups....then - I'd really be pleased!

If the twins want to stay in Vancouver and actually WIN, they gotta make their deal real lucrative.

I would like to see 3 years:

1st year- 4.2

2nd year- 3.9

3rd year- 3.5

Lets see how much they really wanna stay with a decent bargain of a contract.

I just Googled this. http://www.theriches...k-sedin-wealth/... I find it rather high but what can you do?

I've always felt that these contracts are more so trying to figure out what is fair and respectful rather than what a player's greed or perceived greed is.

If they were to get 1 million or 10 million pa it wouldn't change them one bit. Respect with a hometown discount is about the same as they are making now +/- 10%. Up to them on how many years.

I just Googled this. http://www.theriches...k-sedin-wealth/... I find it rather high but what can you do?

I've always felt that these contracts are more so trying to figure out what is fair and respectful rather than what a player's greed or perceived greed is.

If they were to get 1 million or 10 million pa it wouldn't change them one bit. Respect with a hometown discount is about the same as they are making now +/- 10%. Up to them on how many years.

If the Sedins want to stay in Vancouver so bad, then why wouldn't they accept a pay cut.. everyone on here says they don't deserve a pay cut and would never take one, but why? they are ghosts come playoff time. im sure if they even took 4 mil a year each they would be fine, that's one less ivory backscratcher for their kids. if they want to win a cup then their going to have to take a pay cut so we can build the rest of the team, who might actually show up to play when it matters. I like the Sedins as much as the next fan but what have they done to deserve 6.1 mil each

If the Sedins want to stay in Vancouver so bad, then why wouldn't they accept a pay cut.. everyone on here says they don't deserve a pay cut and would never take one, but why? they are ghosts come playoff time. im sure if they even took 4 mil a year each they would be fine, that's one less ivory backscratcher for their kids. if they want to win a cup then their going to have to take a pay cut so we can build the rest of the team, who might actually show up to play when it matters. I like the Sedins as much as the next fan but what have they done to deserve 6.1 mil each

@Vancity_17

So let's play out your scenario. The Sedins take a pay cut. This frees up what, 3 or 4 million dollars in cap space, right? How does management fill that void? By signing a UFA, of course. What kind of UFA signs for about 3 or 4 million dollars these days? Derek Roy. That's who. Or Viktor Stalberg. Or Boyd Gordon. Is this what you mean by allowing management to build a Cup winning team? Because I think we had a guy just like Derek Roy on our roster at the end of last season and it didn't seem to help much.

@Vancity_17

So let's play out your scenario. The Sedins take a pay cut. This frees up what, 3 or 4 million dollars in cap space, right? How does management fill that void? By signing a UFA, of course. What kind of UFA signs for about 3 or 4 million dollars these days? Derek Roy. That's who. Or Viktor Stalberg. Or Boyd Gordon. Is this what you mean by allowing management to build a Cup winning team? Because I think we had a guy just like Derek Roy on our roster at the end of last season and it didn't seem to help much.

Fact is that the current sell out streak coincided with the Sedin's becoming truly elite and fans were and are willing to pay to see them. They are worth alot on the ice and even more-so if you count the bums that they put in the seats.

Archived