The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler on the top line next season?

Angry Goose

This is my unpredictable move for next season.

What do you think? My intuition is that the top line would be strong in both ends of the rink. All three players have excellent chemistry with each other. My only concern is whether Henrik could play wing of if Kesler would be better suited at the wing position? I know we are all used to kesler being the primary seconday centre, but I think it could be really interesting to see VAN stack their top line.

Schroeder could/maybe centre the second alongside Burrows/Booth/Kassian/Higgins and still provide secondary scoring. Schroeder would benefit having better offensive players on his wings, but could he handle second line minutes and defense? My hope is he can step up this year and do that.

The bottom 6 would still be very defensively responsible, especially a third line of Hansen/Richardson/Higgins assuming these responsibilities.

I guess the idea is dependent on Schroeder stepping up and playing second line minutes. That is a big if I must admit.

Assuming Schroeder even makes the team... he's too small to be effective.

I think Kesler plays the perfect 2nd line centerman role, so I'd be very skeptical about moving him from there. Splitting up the Sedins? It sort of depends. On the one hand, there's no doubt those 2 have amazing chemistry and can work magic at times, on the other hand, it seems they go in slumps lately and can't score. I think we'll need to see them under a new coaching system to really determine if they ought to be split up.

• 1 month later...

I think their chemistry HAS to work through the lineup for a winning team.

I thought the line would have had a number of scoring chances if not for a few whiffed shots and a couple of unlucky puck bounces.

If people want to see kesler snipe some goals this is the line to do it.

And the Santorelli seems well suited to center Higgins and Hansen

• 2 weeks later...

Who knows what crazy plans Torts has up his sleeve. I'd like to see Kes stay on the 2nd tho.

My line-up game 1 would be

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Booth-Kesler-Jensen

Burrows-Schroeder-Hansen

Higgins-Richardson-Weise/Gaunce

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Edler-Tanev

Garrison-Corrado

Luongo

Lack

Booth!!!????? Really!

There are some BIG name UFAs out there next off-season, MG could surely resign Santorelli for around 2M to play as our 3rd line center, keep Richardson as the league's best 4th line center and throw some big bucks around for a legit 2nd line center. With the cap roof going up and Booth hopefully gone by then, we'll have some money to spend on the Sedins as well as a 2nd line center.

Some candidates include:

Bolland

Grabovski

Paul Stastny

Brad Boyes

Jussi Jokinen

Thornton and Marleau (probably going to re-sign)

Roy

Legwand

Cogliano

Ott

Personally I could imagine a guy like Legwand or Jokinen coming here and having success.

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Higgins - Legwand - Burrows

Hansen - Santorelli - Kassian

Weise - Richardson - Jensen

Archived