The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler on the top line next season?

Angry Goose

I agree but at least we will have one real strong line like we did with Nazzy-Mo-Bert. it definitely will be exciting to watch. And who knows if Schroeder can handle the second line center role or not? If he does, I think loading up on one line will be fine. It's not like the second line will suck so bad. It will still have two of Burrows, Higgins, Booth, and Kassian.

It may work in the reg season but never in the playoffs. Kess needs to be on the third for a cup shot.

If Torts does stack the top line for certain games (chance to get out of a slump, chance to clinch the division/presidents trophy, chance to advance to a higher round etc.) I think this could be the ideal line up

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Burrows - Schroeder - Kassian

Higgins - Gaunce - Hansen

Booth - Santorelli - Richardson

Do you post lineups every second post?

Depends how ready Gaunce, Schroeder, Horvat and Lain are. We've also got Richardson and Santorelli who are both proven NHL 4th line centers.

My prediction is that Schroeder will be the most ready, with Gaunce not far behind. MG keeps raving on about Lain and how he's our best prospect though. If the twins start off slow and don't have much chemistry with Burrows, Hansen or Kassian, I'd love to see Tortorella try this:

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Hansen - Schroeder - Booth (all very fast, Hansen the net presence, Booth the shooter, Schroeder the passer)

Burrows - Gaunce - Higgins (all very gritty grinders who can score)

Kassian - Richardson - Ferriero

Each of those lines has an element of speed (Kesler, all the 2nd line, Higgins, Ferriero), size and hitting (Kesler, Booth, Gaunce/Higgins, Kassian), offensive skill (Sedins, Schroeder/Booth, Burrows, Ferriero) and good defence (Kesler, Hansen/Schroeder, Burrows/Higgins, RIchardson).

This is my unpredictable move for next season.

What do you think? My intuition is that the top line would be strong in both ends of the rink. All three players have excellent chemistry with each other. My only concern is whether Henrik could play wing of if Kesler would be better suited at the wing position? I know we are all used to kesler being the primary seconday centre, but I think it could be really interesting to see VAN stack their top line.

Schroeder could/maybe centre the second alongside Burrows/Booth/Kassian/Higgins and still provide secondary scoring. Schroeder would benefit having better offensive players on his wings, but could he handle second line minutes and defense? My hope is he can step up this year and do that.

The bottom 6 would still be very defensively responsible, especially a third line of Hansen/Richardson/Higgins assuming these responsibilities.

I guess the idea is dependent on Schroeder stepping up and playing second line minutes. That is a big if I must admit.

Schroeder -I 'm not sure sure he plays out i the end, contract or no contract. Unless he's grown and ganed weigtver the summer his odds are not great wen the Canucks want to get bigger. LA will demolish him. He won't be able to handle second line minutes either.

This is my unpredictable move for next season.

What do you think? My intuition is that the top line would be strong in both ends of the rink. All three players have excellent chemistry with each other. My only concern is whether Henrik could play wing of if Kesler would be better suited at the wing position? I know we are all used to kesler being the primary seconday centre, but I think it could be really interesting to see VAN stack their top line.

Schroeder could/maybe centre the second alongside Burrows/Booth/Kassian/Higgins and still provide secondary scoring. Schroeder would benefit having better offensive players on his wings, but could he handle second line minutes and defense? My hope is he can step up this year and do that.

The bottom 6 would still be very defensively responsible, especially a third line of Hansen/Richardson/Higgins assuming these responsibilities.

I guess the idea is dependent on Schroeder stepping up and playing second line minutes. That is a big if I must admit.

What the fascination and fixation of putting Kesler at C while anyone else goes on wing, now even Henrik, is beyond me really.

The guy can't pass to save his life!

Here is the problem with stacking the first line. A) Kesler is our best face off man while H. Sedin is our second best. Having both on the same line really hurts our depth in the faceoff circle. Kesler can be a hardnosed guy and get dirty goals; however he gained most of his success playing with hardnosed players while he utilized his speed skill and shot. Meaning people did the dirty work for him rather than him doing the dirty work for the Sedins. C) Kesler has the ability to completely shut down another team’s top line/player. He cannot do this playing with our two offensive minded people. He needs the proper support.

Here is the problem with stacking the first line. A) Kesler is our best face off man while H. Sedin is our second best. Having both on the same line really hurts our depth in the faceoff circle. Kesler can be a hardnosed guy and get dirty goals; however he gained most of his success playing with hardnosed players while he utilized his speed skill and shot. Meaning people did the dirty work for him rather than him doing the dirty work for the Sedins. C) Kesler has the ability to completely shut down another team’s top line/player. He cannot do this playing with our two offensive minded people. He needs the proper support.

I agree that having Kesler with the Sedins might affect the overall faceoff's taken by both, but like another has said having Henrik and Kesler on the same line would give a RH and LH for faceoffs, and probably result in a large majority of those won. My idea of lining up Kesler with the Sedins is that both Sedins are elite play makers while Kesler is essentially a shooter, and has an elite shot at that. One of the reasons arn't as strong as they could be is because they don't have a winger who can make individual plays on their own by shooting the puck. Imagine Kesler being set up in the slot by both Sedins. Having a threat like that would draw defensive coverage away from the Sedins (hopefully). Plus Kesler's puck retrieval and possession skill is top notch. He could really compliment the Sedins.

But like you say, the drawback is that perhaps other aspects of the Canucks game suffers, like having a shutdown player. If that made the Canucks worse overall then I agree it wouldn't be a good idea to begin with. Maybe Burrows or Hansen can fill that role- who knows? I'm really just hoping Totorella isn't completely against the idea of thinking outside the box and trying new things. Maybe I'm just bored of AV's line ups.....

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins- Horvat - Hansen

higgins - richardson - weise

PP unit 1 : Sedin - Sedin- Kesler, Edler - Garrison

PP unit 2 : Burrows - Horvat - Kassian, Bieksa - Hamhuis

You've got Higgins down twice

I like the first 2 lines and I think Horvat might surprise this year and make the team. We can let him go play in the world jrs as well, so it's not like he will miss out on it.

People think Gaunce might make the team this year and Sutter praised Horvat a lot more then Gaunce so I think Horvat is closer and will take the 3c position.

Tortorella did say he want's the young guys to take other peoples jobs.

Schroeder will likely have a spot on the team, maybe something like this for the bottom 6

Schroeder-Horvat-Hansen - fast line that can play shutdown and put up points

Higgins-Richards-Weise - energy line and solid defensively

Kesler on the third line lol

Think "role" instead of "line number". Despite being our "second line" the Sedins didn't average more than 15 minutes per game until their 5th season and only exceeded 14 minutes per game in one of their first four seasons. The third line, the shutdown line, got more ice time than the Sedins did. Kesler on the third would be the same scenario playing the shutdown role and getting more ice time than the second line. It doesn't matter what line number yiou label Kesler with, he'll still get 20+ minutes ice time.

Think "role" instead of "line number". Despite being our "second line" the Sedins didn't average more than 15 minutes per game until their 5th season and only exceeded 14 minutes per game in one of their first four seasons. The third line, the shutdown line, got more ice time than the Sedins did. Kesler on the third would be the same scenario playing the shutdown role and getting more ice time than the second line. It doesn't matter what line number yiou label Kesler with, he'll still get 20+ minutes ice time.

I say call him the back up goalie, who gets PP and PK and 20min of ice time as a center .

I think that's close. But can Burr have success on the LW? He has learned to play the right side along the boards and that's where he should stay. Booth is a LW and with his limited time here, should stay on his best side.

I kind of like the idea of Kes on the third line. He can make up the points on the first PP unit.

I would go..

sedin - sedin - kassian

booth - schroeder - burrows

gaunce - kesler - hansen

higgins - richardson - weise

PP unit 1 : sedin - sedin- kesler, edler - garrison

PP unit 2 : burrows - schroeder - hansen/gaunce, bieksa - hamhuis

Burrows played left wing until he was moved to the Sedin line.

I really doubt Higgins will be on the fourth line. Higgins/Kesler/Hansen would be capable of scoring 20+ goals each while playing the shutdown role against the oppositions top line. I don't see Gaunce being tossed straight into a role against the NHL's best in his first year. Gaunce is more likely to be a primary call-up from the farm this year along with Jensen where they will get top minutes.

You've got Higgins down twice

Now that he has a longer deal withNTC he has to play double what he did previously.

Schroeder-Horvat-Hansen - fast line that can play shutdown and put up points

You'd put a raw rookie and an undersized player with very limited NHL experience against the leagues top offensive players?? Disaster waiting to happen.

:picard:

Torts did say he would put Kesler and Burrows back together so maybe we could see something like this?

Sedin - Kesler - Burrows

Booth - Sedin - Kassian

I think that top six could work.

I have often mused aloud about splitting the twins, but I think Torts meant Sedin Sedin ???, Booth, Kesler, Burrows. I could be in for a sweet surprise, but I don't know if he would be so bold as to split the twins, even though I suspect it would FORCE teams to try to cover two first lines. we would score more, and the depth the four lines would improve overnight.

Now that he has a longer deal withNTC he has to play double what he did previously.

You'd put a raw rookie and an undersized player with very limited NHL experience against the leagues top offensive players?? Disaster waiting to happen.

:picard:

Well no, Keslers line will match up against the top offensive players. Just saying they could be capable of shutting down other lines that they're matched up against, not that they'd be used as a shutdown line.

I would rather it be Burrows-Horvat-Hansen and Booth-Kesler-Schroeder, but Torts wants Burr and Kes together.

I agree but at least we will have one real strong line like we did with Nazzy-Mo-Bert. it definitely will be exciting to watch. And who knows if Schroeder can handle the second line center role or not? If he does, I think loading up on one line will be fine. It's not like the second line will suck so bad. It will still have two of Burrows, Higgins, Booth, and Kassian.

And IMHO, I might even of think of Burrows on the second line assuming Kesler's old role as primary 2 way forward, and given his new contract I think he should shoulder that responsibility. His defensive play is sound, and I think he is both a play maker and a guy that can finish, so assuming Schroeder plays well as the highly touted playmaker, him and Burrows could be a threat together. Maybe add Kassin as the big body/puck posession guy or Higgins as another strong 2 way forward and you've got a complete line.....hopefully.

Archived