The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

City speed limits could drop from 50km/h to 40km/h

-Vintage Canuck-

Nobody seems to be asking what the reasoning is for this. Are fatalities/pedestrians being struck issues etc on the rise? Why would someone even bring this up?

As far as I knew I thought that incidents were on the decline/miles driven...

IMO what we REALLY need to do is crack down on inattentive and discourteous drivers. They're the biggest problem out there IMO.

Why just 50? A large reason why people get into accidents is because everyone is NOT driving the same speed. If the speed limit was 70, or 130 on the highway - and everyone drove the same speed and gave themselves ample room between cars, accidents would be miniscule. Within reason, the speed itself shouldn't matter all that much. Its the idiots behind the wheels that cause the problems.

With the exception of residential neighborhoods, 70 kmh is a safe enough speed for most roads if you're paying attention and not tailgating.

In my experience, most people who speed excessively also tailgate dangerously. Bad combination. Almost every other car that I see on the road today don't leave safety distances anymore (while some admittedly leave too much); "I'm sorry, but that 2-3 second gap that I leave between my car and the one in front of me isn't so that you can cut in and put me in danger of rearending you, dumbass".

• 4 weeks later...

Archived