The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would make us win the Schnieder trade ?

Canuckler87

Technically most of this is true but his "rise" was all of 30 games. Understandable it was a 48 game season but I think technically a true starter plays a higher percentage of games than that.

I have no doubt he'll be a starter and my opinion is that he has the skills to be one right now. Technically though, he hasn't been a starter in the NHL yet. NJ imo has the solution to a problem they were going to have as soon as the face of their franchise retires. Those 6 years of training bought this team a 9th overall pick from a 26th overall pick. We win, and so does NJ.

If for example Luongo walks after this year or just plain stinks up the place, Schneider excels/does well in NJ, and Horvat doesn't live up to expectations, can we still consider that a win?

We'd have no reliable #1 goalie and a busted pick. It's a doom and gloom scenario but it is entirely possible.

If for example Luongo walks after this year or just plain stinks up the place, Schneider excels/does well in NJ, and Horvat doesn't live up to expectations, can we still consider that a win?

We'd have no reliable #1 goalie and a busted pick. It's a doom and gloom scenario but it is entirely possible.

I've given this some thought... but what if Francesco traded Cory because he's a die hard luongomaniac like I am?

Either that or he thought keeping luongo would add to the drama and help him make more $$$ surely it has given this subject more publicity.

No publicity is bad publicity for business.

Ok then. How can trading a highly talented NHL goaltender who supplanted one of the league's supposed best for a number on a draft board be considered a win for the Canucks?

Schneider was a valuable asset who was traded away for potentially (but hopefully not) nothing.

I don't think you understand how the clause works.

He has the right to request a trade, not demand one. And the Canucks don't have to accept any deal they're offered. That would be a ridiculous clause no GM would ever accept.

Why do Canucks fans always focus on the negatives. I could also say what if Luongo has a great season, rediscovers his passion for playing here, and decides to play out his contract. How about we wait and see what happens instead of continuing on and on with the "what ifs".

I don't think you understand how the clause works.

He has the right to request a trade, not demand one. And the Canucks don't have to accept any deal they're offered. That would be a ridiculous clause no GM would ever accept.

Why do Canucks fans always focus on the negatives. I could also say what if Luongo has a great season, rediscovers his passion for playing here, and decides to play out his contract. How about we wait and see what happens instead of continuing on and on with the "what ifs".

Ok then. How can trading a highly talented NHL goaltender who supplanted one of the league's supposed best for a number on a draft board be considered a win for the Canucks?

Schneider was a valuable asset who was traded away for potentially (but hopefully not) nothing.

From Vancouver Province, "Luongo’s out-clause allows him to formally demand a trade next summer. He can pick five destinations, and it would be on the Canucks to try once more to deal him." Gillis stated he couldn't get fair value for Lu this past year, so he traded Cory, next year Gillis will be bound by contract to take the best deal he can get from the list of the 5 teams. We are so screwed in just about any scenario because if Lu plays well, one of the 5 teams on the list will take him for not much of a return, and if Lu plays bad we are stuck with a goalie who is mid 30s who will have had 3 sub par seasons in a row,

Schneider first needs to prove that he's a starter. Getting a significant groin injury 30 games into a season and 100 games total at 27yrs old doesn't look 'franchise' to me.

However, NJ's style protects their goalie and i'm sure having Brodeur around will help him develop as much as having Lu around.

Horvat is a top-6 'do everything' center that is extremely valueable in this league. He's also 9 years younger. Long-term, we've already won the trade, imho.

But there's nothing wrong with saying both teams filled a need.

Archived