The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would make us win the Schnieder trade ?

Canuckler87

Just curious to know your guys's thoughts on this. What needs to happen for us to be looked on as the winners of this drafts blockbuster trade? I think after splitting this season with Broedeur , Cory will have the New Jersey net for himself. IF he chooses to resign there long term in two years, they could potentially have a solid starter for about a decade.

Now if Cory decides he wants to leave New Jersey and not sign there long term (cause other than goaltending, they suck) he can go somewhere else as a free agent. If this happens, I think we win the trade even if Bo turns out to be a third line center. However, if he stays and tears it up there for the Devils, I think Bo will have to be atleast top six material for us to come out on top in the trade. What are your thoughts on this?

Schneider first needs to prove that he's a starter. Getting a significant groin injury 30 games into a season and 100 games total at 27yrs old doesn't look 'franchise' to me.

However, NJ's style protects their goalie and i'm sure having Brodeur around will help him develop as much as having Lu around.

Horvat is a top-6 'do everything' center that is extremely valueable in this league. He's also 9 years younger. Long-term, we've already won the trade, imho.

But there's nothing wrong with saying both teams filled a need.

Schneider has to be a non-standout in the Eastern Conference, with NJD missing the playoffs for a few years.

Horvat needs to become a Kesler/Toews like player who can be the defensive pivot in our teams top 6. He'll also need to assert himself in our line-up within the next 2 years IMO

Basically, Horvat needs to become a competitor for the Selke during his career while Schneider doesn't put himself in conversations for "Top 5 goalie" in the NHL

A lot of the assessment of this trade will depend on the play of Lou in the next few years and how that situation will play out. It isn't just a matter of the two players results because everything was done in a context.

If Lou plays well and Horvat becomes a solid top 6 player then it is irrelevant how well Cory plays as it will be a Win in our time and place.

If Lou plays well and Horvat is slow to become a top 6 then Cory will only need to be good.

If Lou plays horribly and we go through a couple of seasons that are lost because we are not a contender then the play of Horvat and Schneider are lesser factors because the trade will have been a loss of potential Cups.

In the end, ask again in a few years.

Just curious to know your guys's thoughts on this. What needs to happen for us to be looked on as the winners of this drafts blockbuster trade? I think after splitting this season with Broedeur , Cory will have the New Jersey net for himself. IF he chooses to resign there long term in two years, they could potentially have a solid starter for about a decade.

Now if Cory decides he wants to leave New Jersey and not sign there long term (cause other than goaltending, they suck) he can go somewhere else as a free agent. If this happens, I think we win the trade even if Bo turns out to be a third line center. However, if he stays and tears it up there for the Devils, I think Bo will have to be atleast top six material for us to come out on top in the trade. What are your thoughts on this?

Schneider first needs to prove that he's a starter. Getting a significant groin injury 30 games into a season and 100 games total at 27yrs old doesn't look 'franchise' to me.

However, NJ's style protects their goalie and i'm sure having Brodeur around will help him develop as much as having Lu around.

Horvat is a top-6 'do everything' center that is extremely valueable in this league. He's also 9 years younger. Long-term, we've already won the trade, imho.

But there's nothing wrong with saying both teams filled a need.

I usually value your opinion but this is one of the rare cases where you are just totally out to lunch.

First of all, we are a contender NOW not necessarily 5 years from now.

Horvat's projected emergence does not sync with our supposed "Window"

Statistically you have a little over 63% chance of becoming a Career NHL player when drafted in the first round. This was suppose to be a deep year but come on, we aren't going to know that for at least 5 years.

Schneider's chances of playing in the NHL from this day forward are obviously significantly higher than 63%

If you flip that around there is a 37% chance Horvat will not become an NHL regular. No draft pick is a certain, not even a top 5 pick is certain. So lets just hold off on the we already won the trade bit.

This is not a video game, players don't always meet their projected success like in career mode.

We will not know if we lost or won until we know what we have.

You have to look at it from a grand scheme of things.

1. Vancouver had to solve its goaltending controversy

2. Vancouver was not going to get anything back for Luongo

3. Vancouver had to trade Schneider and looked for the best return possible (factoring in division/conference)

4. New Jersey offers 9th overall pick, at which Bo Horvat is available

Now, Vancouver hasn't lost anything or weakened as a team - we still has a #1 goaltender and has added a blue-chip center prospect that it was missing in Horvat to replace Henrik - not only that, by a stroke of pure luck, we were able to land Daniel's replacement in Shinkaruk.

1. New Jersey is facing life after Brodeur

2. New Jersey needs goaltending

3. Vancouver is willing to part with Schneider

Now, at the cost of a blue-chip prospect, New Jersey has found their heir apparent to Brodeur in Schneider who will solidify their net for the next decade - provided that he signs long-term with the team

If you look purely at the players traded today, Horvat vs Schneider, New Jersey wins without doubt. They have a young #1 goaltender, while we have an 18-year-old prospect.

But I think both teams won. We both got what we needed - it was a hockey trade.

If Horvat can develop into a top 6 forward as he is projected to (which he should - safest pick in the draft), I don't see what is wrong with trading Schneider for him. We did not hurt the team by doing so, as we still have a #1 goaltender - we just added and strengthened our future.

Archived