The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would make us win the Schnieder trade ?

Canuckler87

3-5 years at least before we know. It all depends on how Horvat pans out. Don't know much about him tbh, but I don't see him making the team anytime soon. It could take a year or 2 for him to play in the NHL and another couple years after that for him to reach his potential. It will be a while before we know for sure, Schnieder is just about to hit his potential and be great for the Devils.

As with the Hodgson trade, we are all playing the 'waiting' game. Hopefully in the end both trades work(ed) out for us.

Let's put it this way....

If any player picked 9th or later in 2013 has a better career than Schneider, or becomes a franchise player, then the question only becomes who we should have picked.

My guess is there will be several possible candidates, because of the quality in this draft, Horvat being one of them.

Schneider is not a proven number one goalie due to his lack of playoff success. Therefore, I would categorize him as an excellent back up.

A third line player = a backup goalie

A top 6 player > back up goalie

We win if Horvath becomes top 6. It's a draw if he is a solid third liner and we lose if he is a 4th liner or never even makes it.

That's my take :)

Schneider is not a proven number one goalie due to his lack of playoff success. Therefore, I would categorize him as an excellent back up.

A third line player = a backup goalie

A top 6 player > back up goalie

We win if Horvath becomes top 6. It's a draw if he is a solid third liner and we lose if he is a 4th liner or never even makes it.

That's my take :)

Lots of good analysis here, points for considering.

I was loath to see Van trade away Cory. Think he's an exceptional talent, with a great attitude. Regarding this question, should he have any more health issues, pressure would decrease upon Horvat. If NJ plays poorly as a team(missing PO's) for the next couple yrs, this could also make Horvat feel he doesn't have to set the world on fire, right from the get-go. All that said, I want Schneids to have an excellent career-just hope it's somewhere else(never really liked the Devs)...

Also, what if our three younger 'tenders play great, & one in particular emerges as a long-term star? Probably wouldn't have happened the same if we continued with a gt-logjam. It's hard to compare potential-situations after such a significant trade shifts so many variables around.

Considering all these factors, I think it's wise to try & develop Horvat slowly, deliberately & steadily. Start him out in the right situation, with excellent & exp'd linemates.

I'm not so concerned with winning the trade. I think its pretty fair considering our situation and the probability that Schnider wouldn't fetch a 24 year old Horvat. the only real looser from this trade was C Schnide poor guy is goin to a doomed team to play out the rest of his contract most likely as a backup. Kinda sucks for him. I'm happy to have Bo Ho even if he tops out as a 3rd liner considering Luongo is still a pretty great goalie and had he been the one traded chances are we'd be eating some of his Cap just to squeeze a second rounder out of the trade. So I'm pretty stoked to have a top 10 pick in our prospect pool.

Can't it just be good enough to be a good deal for both?

My opinion.

We win the trade if Horvat becomes an impact player starting this year and Schneider becomes a middle of the pack or lower goaltender, and Luongo is better than middle of the pack.

We lose the trade if Horvat has little or no impact or busts out, Schneider is a top 10 or better goalie, and Luongo stinks up the rink.

Archived