The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(discussion) trade deadline player watch

in recent years theres always been 1 big fish around deadline day with likes of Richards, hossa, nash and iginla. this year is no different as vanek is proned for UFA status on july 1st and buf going into rebuild mode it only makes sense that they will get young assets and picks for vanek and miller. this is year different though because about half the league is within 1m of the cap or right up against it so its gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. the most likely destination is Minnesota because he played university hockey there back in the day, his wife is from there and his long time liney pomminville now resides in the twin cities.

the rest of the players who don't come with as high of price tag but can still make a impact on a team going for the cup...stastny, camo, timonen, hemsky, legwand, whitney, jokinen, jagr, meszaros, zidlicky, stajan, Schultz, setoguchi, ott and stempniak

legwand(NTC) and ott are two names that attract my interest for the canucks needs. nsh has fisher, smith, gaustad, Cullen and Hendricks who can play fill the void at center and don't forget about nsh letting suter walking and getting nothing for him and poile was non too happy about that so I doubt if hes going to do that again.

to van: legwand

to nsh: booth, Schroeder, 3rd pick 2015

I know its not much to offer but I wouldn't give much more because legwand is purely a rental

sedin-sedin-kassian

burrows-kesler-Hansen

Higgins-legwand-santorelli

sestito-richardson-weise

andddd here we go again with the ott to van rumours but now ott is a UFA and has no NTC. he is the exact player we need and unlike legwand he could have a future with the team even with the young guns coming up in the next few years but booth(UFA in 2015) probably cant stay due to cap reasons (we'll know if we can have both once the cap is determined for next year).

to buf: dalpe, schroeder, 2nd pick 2015

to van: ott

sedin-sedin-kassian

burrows-kesler-booth

Higgins-ott-Hansen

weise-richardson-santorelli

sestito

its hard to say where otts value lies at the moment but I would give up a little more for his services if they asked for it (within reason) because of his versatility and style of play and how much better does that top 9 look with a legit nhl player anchoring the 3rd line center spot.

I know it might be early to start talking about this but you gotta start somewhere and I doubt their status will change between now and D-days so whats the difference

We actually have 2-3 years left to win with this group with Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, and Corrado coming up full time next year

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Kesler - Burrows

Gaunce - Horvat - Jensen

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Weise, Santorelli

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Bieksa

Tanev - Corrado

Stanton

Luongo

Lack/Eriksson

The kids will almost for sure give the vets some extra energy, like how Galchenyuk and Gallagher re-energized Montreal's veterans last year.

Pretty much all of our deadline acquisition have failed (Pahlsson, Roy). Except with Higgins, but can't say it was a "huge" acquisition, more of a decent one.

Why should we waste prospect or picks for such a high risk/not so high reward trade.

Actually when you look at teams like San Jose who got rid of Clowe and Murray and getting much more than their true value, why shouldn't we trade our players at the deadline?

Imagine what we could get for our supporting cast. Hansen (top20 1st rounder?), Higgins (high 1st rounder, early 2nd?), Edler, Hamhuis, Bieksa (top-20 1st rounder at least, if Murray got two 2nd rounder).

I'm not saying trade all of them, but maybe 1 forward and one defenseman. Next year it's highly probably that 2 of these 3 (Shinkaruk, Horvat and Gaunce) makes the team and also Corrado. Our top 9 should be pretty full along with our top 4 d-men.

We actually have 2-3 years left to win with this group with Shinkaruk, Horvat, Gaunce, Jensen, and Corrado coming up full time next year

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Kesler - Burrows

Gaunce - Horvat - Jensen

Higgins - Richardson - Hansen

Weise, Santorelli

Hamhuis - Edler

Garrison - Bieksa

Tanev - Corrado

Stanton

Luongo

Lack/Eriksson

The kids will almost for sure give the vets some extra energy, like how Galchenyuk and Gallagher re-energized Montreal's veterans last year.

Archived