The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada , EU reach free trade deal

Mr.Habitat

This is pretty huge.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2125122

Canada and the European Union have signed a tentative deal to open markets and drop nearly all import taxes on everything from food to cars.

Under the Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA) and NAFTA, Canada will have preferential access to more than half of the world’s economy.

The agreement in principle also provides for working groups to look at non-tariff barriers — regulations on health and sanitation, for example — that interfere with trade.

The sweeping free trade deal with the 28-member European Union — which has a total population of 500 million and generates $17 trillion in annual economic activity — covers everything from cars to food to intellectual property.

"This is a big deal. Indeed, this is the biggest deal our country has ever made," Prime Minister Stephen Harper said in Brussels on Friday after signing the agreement alongside European Commission president Jose Manual Barroso. "This is a historic win for Canada."

Gives us a huge market with a lot of buying power for our natural resources. Lessens the perceived need for the Northern Gateway as the natural gas can be shipped out of the East instead. I despise Harper and think he's one of the worst PMs in our country's history, but this is a good thing.

Gives us a huge market with a lot of buying power for our natural resources. Lessens the perceived need for the Northern Gateway as the natural gas can be shipped out of the East instead. I despise Harper and think he's one of the worst PMs in our country's history, but this is a good thing.

I will wait to see what REALLY comes down with this.

Telling me cheese will be cheaper is like trying to soothe me during a throne speech by informing me that I should be appeased with better cable tv choices.

What about the EU's issues with

Wines

Seals

Fur

Now what about our need for cheaper drugs, cheaper tech, work and study visa's, fishing rights and territorial disputes with spain/Portugal. How much of our water rights have we given away which was a HUGE sticking point with many, as losing the ability to control our water resources is obviously fundamental to survival and sovereignty.

I will wait for the entire agreement to be published before I call this a good thing.

Remember, NAFTA was also supposed to be a good thing and in the long run cost Canada trillions via lost jobs, lost revenue on resources and markets we were able to access and more. Looked good on paper but shafted us and Mexico pretty badly, and desperately now needs to be re-written for this economic climate.

I do not trust Harper period, the man is a venal coward and has shown me nothing worth getting excited over except more cheese and better cable

Fingers crossed. Still hoping we see an entrance of the Toyota Tacoma Diesel Hilux (Not the frigging Vigo)

Drove one of those in Belize while drilling. That thing was such an incredible vehicle, literally the best truck I have ever driven

Hoping my nephew still works at Toyota then too :lol: I don't need much in the way of options AC, power windows/locks and a basic stereo. I doubt they'll even have what I listed above available with a stick in N.A. though. People here hate sticks and so they don't sell them here.

Tacoma is the only mid size/light duty truck Toyota makes with a stick, and it is fractionally cheaper than the automatic. But we are looking at years before we see something so nice here. I constantly look down in South America in hopes to find a viable one that can be tossed on a container and shipped here for me.

Archived