The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Johnson joins Canucks as Player Development Consultant

stonecoldstevebernier

I rather not let him teach our players how to shot block. His method of sprawling on the ice is completely idiotic and takes him out of the play... let alone has made him injured to many times.

Bad signing.

Completely disagree. He knew how to block shots, and blocked them well. It's good to have him to teach our players how to do it properly, look at Burrows and Schreds, they wanted to block the shot, but had no technique doing it. Of course his method wasn't perfect but this guy blocked 3 shots in a row when we were up 5-1 as I recall it, guys all heart

Know any Stanley Cup winners that went on to coach successfully? (That's be black and white btw) Gretzky has been lauded as the best player of all time, but he stank as a coach. Guys that make it in hockey management have intangibles. Great example would be Stevey Y. Yes, he won a cup, one of the few in management that won one as a player, but he brought an intangible to the game.

So guys like Linden, Johnson, Malholtra, they have the potential to go on not because of their sheer raw talent, but because of the intangible elements they brought to the game. Like playing with a broken rib or foot or eye or thumb, like taking younger players under your wing and passing your knowledge on to them.

And to add to your point less talented players that make the pros because of hard work and smarts can relate to all the players; superstars often can't relate to those with less talent as they don't understand why players can't do what they could. It is the main reason why most pro coaches were the journeymen, not the stars.

lmao I remember back in 2011 before the canucks and hawks were going at it in the quarter finals him saying how the canucks werent wishing the hawks to board a plane to vancouver because we were scared or something... congrats on the job johnson

Ryan Johnson is a penalty killer and a shot blocker. As a penalty killer, nobody who played as much as Johnson on the penalty kill on the Canucks had a worse ranking from Behind the net. This is not a plus that shows his value. Johnson’s shot blocking counts against him in his Corsi rating, as each shot he blocks is a shot directed against his team. Ryan Johnson finished 127th in the league in shot blocks with 85 this season. He is a player known for his shot blocking ability and nevertheless failed to make the top 100 in the league? That doesn’t support his claim to be a useful player.

The problem with a defensive player, who has one significant weapon in his arsenal in blocking shots, is that he will allow extra shots against in an attempt to block them. Even when he is successful in a shot block, he will usually be temporarily out of the play as he is sprawled out on the ice and the puck rebounded off of him in a random direction. Shot blocking can be a useful skill, but it must be part of a group of defensive weapons. Any player who is predominantly a shot blocked and not close to being among the top shot blockers in the league is of questionable use.

Ryan Johnson is the worst player in the NHL at puck possession. That is pretty damning. The length of time he has held that position reduces any uncertainty in making that declaration. There is nobody in the NHL who is worse in terms on puck possession than Ryan Johnson. The mitigating circumstances, such as his penalty killing and shot blocking, that are used to argue that he does have a positive value are not very strong. Ryan Johnson plays on a good team, he plays against weak players and for the last two years those players have controlled the puck against him more than they have against anyone else in the NHL.

http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/psh/comments/ryan_johnsons_bad_corsi

You did all this research just to bash a someone who doesn't even play in the NHL anymore?

I think the idea is good although not sure it's right mesenger. The team has obviously identified what they feel is a ligitamte concern. Propspects to far behind with their defensive development. It's holding them back from taking a spot on the roster earlier. I think that's true of the youngsters at the main camp when they went head to head with NHL quality players. Hence Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk. If you want quicker maturing for your propsects this is one step towards that goal

I think the idea is good although not sure it's right mesenger. The team has obviously identified what they feel is a ligitamte concern. Propspects to far behind with their defensive development. It's holding them back from taking a spot on the roster earlier. I think that's true of the youngsters at the main camp when they went head to head with NHL quality players. Hence Horvat, Gaunce and Shinkaruk. If you want quicker maturing for your propsects this is one step towards that goal

I think the idea was to get a guy who had to work 110% just to stick in the NHL to teach the kids that it takes more than talent and hard work. There is a drive and a motivation above and beyond what "regular folks" have day to day that is a minimum requirement. It's not just about the defense, it's about the drive and what it takes to keep it at 110% for 110% of the time. I'm 110% sure.

Archived