The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it plausible/realistic to get a guy like Gaborik?

I'd love the Nucks to pick up one more star player; of course don't we all; Chicago, winner of 2 of the last 4 cups; is a great comparison for us. They have 4 unreal forwards: Kane, toews, hossa and sharp. We have 3: Sedins and Kes. Hence, the question to all of you is...can we realistically get another unreal forward with A. Being so close to the salary cap? B. Having our biggest strengh, which is D, that have the big cap hits to even the $ coming back, and have NTC or NTM's? Or C. Not giving up our potentially high level prospects?(horvat, shinkaruk, corrado or Jensen). Most likely we have to be concerned about A,B and C.

One of the unreal players I was thinking about is Gaborik. He has a 7.5 mil cap hit. Steep and a ufa at seasons end. Columbus might not make the playoffs, and he may bolt as a UFA anyway; so I'm thinking they may try and trade him.

So a lot of u are fairly smart and will probably give me exact or close enough numbers for this question...if we picked him up at or close to the trade deadline, how much of his 7.5 cap hit would we have to pay?

If the $ worked itself out because say booth got traded lol well hopefully or the right players went back that would allow us to be under the cap...Would any of these trades work for u guys:

-Gaunce or Jensen, Schroeder and 2nd(1st if he resigns with us)

-Schroeder, 2nd and Hansen( I know he's a fan fav but Columbus will want someone good with a great cap hit and length)

Is this enough for Columbus?, too much from us? Can this happen? Can u think of someone that can seriously help us that another team would b willing to give up that's as good as Gaborik?

I dont think Chicago or San Jose or any other team would b favoured over us anymore...

Chicago- hossa, Kane, toews, sharp, okay support guys on O, Keithand seabrook and decent other D and above average goalie

San Jose- Thornton, couture, Marceau, pavelski, burns is good too and decent support O guys, Boyle and great goalie

Canucks- Sedins, Kesler, Gaborik and a good/ great support O, solid D and a great goalie

* I think we have the edge after this trade or something very similar...what do u guys think?

He is a UFA at the end of this season so he would be a 'rental'. I wouldn't go for rentals unless we have a chance of re-signing Gaborik. If we he'll negotiate with us after we trade for him, I wouldn't mind throwing our pieces for him. I think the start of value would probably be around Jensen, Schroeder, 1st~.

The max I'd go is probably, Schroeder, 1st 2014, Jensen, 2nd 2015 for Gaborik and a 3rd. This is the deal I'd do. He is still a 60+ point player when healthy, but when healthy is the scary part. He has a history of being injured.

Personally I don't think I'd go for him, he is a 60+ point player, yes but he is also injured alot. His defensive part of the game isn't very good either and I think we are in good position right now. Our prospect pool is good, we have a good team out there and a good coach.

Gillis will probably get killed in the trade anyways.

Ok Tom how about gaunce, Hansen and 1st? I know it's steep but oh boy do I want the cup. If Gaborik doesn't work and whom do you guys think then? Maybe another team offers a better package or Columbus simply says No but I think we need to do something

In the NHL, quantity for quality rarely works. That's why you have to take a whole crap load to get a superstar.

Hansen is a 3rd line checker who can get around 30-35 points.

Gaunce will be a quietly productive 3rd line center.

A late first round pick has zero value when going for an elite player.

You need to be thinking more in the range of a guy who can put up anywhere between 35-55 points. i.e. higgins/burrows etc, or a young defenceman who can grow i.e. tanev.

An elite level prospect or so.

A higher pick.

A salary dump, and then a late round pick for them taking the salary.

Hey Captain, what 2nd line centre out there interests you? I'm mostly thinking of the teams that probably won't make the playoffs. Florida doesn't have anybody, other than their young guys like huberdeau,whom won't get traded, versteeg is ok but not elite. Edmonton and Calgary won't prob trade within the division and really don't have anybody other then young virtually untradeable guys. Buffalo, no thanks. The reason I was thinking Gaborik, other then him being a great player, was that he's a ufa at the end of this season, and we probably don't have to give more than 1 roster player and none of our core guys. I'd love to hear some other options

No thanks to Gaborik. The thing about playoffs is depth and staying healthy. Gaborik's injury riddled career is the reason any real playoff contender should not waste their picks and prospects on someone like him.

If you are going to start giving up a package of a top prospect a 1st and more, you go after someone healthier and younger or it just isn't worth it. Even if there is no one else out there to grab you dont spend that much on a guy who is going to spend a chunk of time on IR and the rest destroying your cap hit with his disgusting contract.

Plum, we would definitely be taking a chance on gaborik but I like your trade of Schroeder, 1st, jensen(prefer gaunce) and a 3rd for Gaborik and a 3rd. It would hurt if we dont resign him but not destroy us. We have some great prospects and the buy-out of booth and possible cap rise leaves us with a great team with some cap space

Ok Tom how about gaunce, Hansen and 1st? I know it's steep but oh boy do I want the cup. If Gaborik doesn't work and whom do you guys think then? Maybe another team offers a better package or Columbus simply says No but I think we need to do something

Thomas Vanek is a pretty decent package but Gaborik is a better version of Vanek and also alot more costly.

There's no doubt that Gaborik comes with risks. I'm just trying to think of a realistic option that wouldn't require giving up any of our top 3-4 prospects. Jensen and gaunce to me are our 5-6 prospects. Obviously as the year plays out, more teams will fall out of the playoff picture, and our options increase

Do you guys think perhaps a guy like Moulson matches us or better with Chicago or San Jose? What do u think we'd have to give for him? I just think we need 1 more good player, and it's going to cost us something we like to get him

I think that even though it would be a more difficult thing to do, we should instead focus on someone who has found success on the West as the game is much different out here and players who come from the East seem to have a much more difficult time adapting to play out West and continuing the success they had back East.

A team like Dallas who has some nice pieces but is struggling to stay afloat right now would be an ideal candidate for negotiating. In an ideal land of fantasy where the clouds rain gum drops granny panties don't exist, I would attempt to acquire Benn.

Plum, we would definitely be taking a chance on gaborik but I like your trade of Schroeder, 1st, jensen(prefer gaunce) and a 3rd for Gaborik and a 3rd. It would hurt if we dont resign him but not destroy us. We have some great prospects and the buy-out of booth and possible cap rise leaves us with a great team with some cap space

I think our prospect pool is healing with Gillis's good drafting but you have a point it wouldn't destroy our prospect pool like how it used to with Horvat, Shink, Gaunce, Cassels, Corrado. I think we are in a place where we are having success now and will continue having success from years to come like a rebuild on the fly.

Really, it depends on position of teams and everything if we aren't making the playoffs then no I wouldn't obviously but if the scenario was CBJ out of playoffs and we in I don't think I'd bite. He would make us a significantly better team of course though.

Another point to why I think going somewhat all in is because look at our defense. We have 2 hometown discounts in Garrison and Hamhuis these guys are our top defensemens, we got a player in his prime (Edler), a rising top 4 shutdown defensemen in Tanev for very cheap, Stanton is just an amazing pickup really holding that 3rd pairing together with Bieksa for quite a bit.

We have an amazing defensemen, top 3 in the league with Chicago and St.Louis. Sedins are still top tier players, Kesler is looking like a beast again and we need just one more piece to make us into a cup contender. Can Santorelli hold it together for a year? Can everybody stay like top notch players? I think we are reaching the top that this franchise has ever been. Horvat compared to Bergeron, Shink compared to Kane. Corrado ready to jump in but can't because our top 6 is full.

You have a point of going all in and it looks like we are one piece away from top contenders. Some don't want to after the Roy trade and I didn't want to either but looking at the hometown discounts, it is our chance to jump on this.

Do you guys think perhaps a guy like Moulson matches us or better with Chicago or San Jose? What do u think we'd have to give for him? I just think we need 1 more good player, and it's going to cost us something we like to get him

I think Moulson would be the easiest player to acquire since Buffalo would likely ask for a 1st and an ok prospect. Gaborik I doubt Columbus trades him after just acquiring him last April.

Yes Moulson will be in our top 6 and make us a better team. Matt Moulson had a 40+ point year in Tavares rookie season so maybe he is feeding of Tavares because in LA he didn't have success.

I would go to one of Jensen/Schroeder/Gaunce + 1st for him.

Seems recent Canuck organizations; post Arthur Griffiths, have shied away from active big name acquisitions. Save for Sundin and Messier, the biggest name acquisitions in recent memory. However, both at the extreme tail ends of their careers.

Though it has been speculated that we have gone after some in recent years, more often than not, we end up with the 2nd tier type UFA/Free Agents. That being said.........

Toews and Kane were Chicago first rounders. Sharp was acquired in trade with Philly. Hossa, the much travelled power forward, signed as a free agent for much dinero.

Similarly, Sedins were acquired by us as early 1st rounders and Kes a later 1st.

So basically what your suggesting is that we're a star power forward and veteran quarterbacking D-man away from being among the elite cup contenders.

Old news. I thing most in here agree with that, but we've done okay with some recent pick ups and not so okay with others. I won't go into any names here. I think we've talked about them ad nauseum in CDC. 'Nuff said.

Forget Gaborik. Dude will cost too much, demand high draft picks and cost us top prospects. I don't think that MG won't go for Gaborik anyways.

Any active B.C. boys out there that fit the bill?

Benn, I think is unrealistic. I mean yes please, but Dallas would be foolish to get rid of him. I do agree that players coming from the east tend to struggle. Usually trading within the conference is tougher. I'm hoping that we don't wait until the deadline because the more time the new guy has to build chemistry etc, the better. I don't want to trade Tanev but with our top 4 D guys all in NTC or NTM'S, and him obviously wanting a pay increase; we can't pay a 5th D guy top 4 money. Doesn't make sense! Perhaps that's another option. Lots of teams lack good D guys and a package with say Tanev and Gaunce and ? May get us James Neal or if Ottawa struggles...Ryan :):):):):). Or someone else really good ;)

Archived