The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC Admission Requirements

KoreanHockeyFan

No this isn't another annoying thread asking what average I need to get into UBC. In fact, I'm doing to the exact opposite. This one article should stop all of you high school kiddies who want to get into UBC to stop asking on this board about what you need to get in.

UBCs Annual Report on Enrolment provides hard numbers about the makeup of the student body on UBC’s Vancouver campus. Although it’s a little early to talk about the composition of 2013’s first-years, the 2012 numbers have been out for a while now.

Things to note from the report:

• Only 42 per cent of incoming new students responded to the ethno-racial survey.
  • Surprise! Science has the highest entrance average at 92.3 per cent. Land and Food Systems is smack in the middle. Forestry has the lowest at 83.1 per cent. The collective average of this year’s class is 89.7 per cent — just .3 per cent shy of getting A.
  • In planning for the next three years, there will be fewer domestic students admitted due to the lack of government funding. There will be more international students, however — about a 10 per cent increase per year for the next three years.
  • The lack of government funding is a reality. In 2012, UBC Vancouver’s number of domestic students was 9 per cent over government funded levels.
  • 100 per cent of international kinesiology students stayed at UBC after first year. The lowest retention rate is international Forestry students at 72 per cent.
  • UBC’s international students are from 154 different countries. The top three regions? 24 per cent of international students are from China, 16 per cent from the United States and a tie for third place between Europe and East Asia, both at 14 per cent.

Graphic Nena Nguyen/The Ubyssey

http://ubyssey.tumbl...t-provides-hard

Rough estimates for what it should look like next year for those of you trying to get in (there's an image summarizing all this info in the link above, CDC won't let me post it here for some reason). Surprising to see that the majority of UBC is actually white. University of Billion Chinese? Don't think so.

Is business really difficult to get into as well? We've been discussing univ a lot recently.

Also international economics?

...it's all in the link I provided. Read the article.

And Int. Econ is a brand new program at UBC, so there are no numbers for it.

boys-niggas-swag-wiz-khalifa-Favim.com-372426.gif

Science bitches. Represent.

EDIT: In before underachieving twerps talk about how overrated UBC is. (Although it certainly is in some majors)

UBC is overrated lol. There's no way in spinning it. It's only held in such high prestige because of the fact that it's a full size university with a Law and Med program. Not to mention the fact that somehow Sauder has gotten such a large reputation for some odd reason...SFU's Beedie program is just as good.

Despite that being said, UBC is still a great school. I'm probably just saying all of this negative stuff because I come from an Asian background. I don't know about other Asian cultures, but when you're Korean and you say to one of your relatives or family friends that you're going to UBC, you're going to get treated like some kind of wonder whizz kid.

boys-niggas-swag-wiz-khalifa-Favim.com-372426.gif

Science bitches. Represent.

EDIT: In before underachieving twerps talk about how overrated UBC is. (Although it certainly is in some majors)

Oh you're in UBC sciences? I don't think there is any way I would have ever guessed. I don't think you've made it abundantly clear to CDC yet.

:rolleyes:

I dunno, the MICB program and the physics program are well recognized internationally. If you're an average joe just looking for a Bachelor's before settling down then whatever, it makes no difference where you go. But certain grad programs are ridiculously well reputed, I just don't think the average first year cares about what research labs are doing what, or the internationally recognized professors they'll work with in upper years so they think these reputations are "overrated".

So is the branding of education with a name overrated? Yeah, of course it is. But it's really stupid to shove aside the competition, high standards and facilities some specific departments have (no not med school) as overrated because all you know of science is medical and dental school

Who cares if you're getting taught by an " internationally recognized professor." All you do is sit in a lecture hall and listen to him/her for an hour. Is the professor actually effective at getting the material across to the students? That's what really matters, all the stuff done in research and whatnot means jack**** to me as a student. Screw the profs, the TAs (at least in my case) have been so much more helpful with my learning.

Your positive feelings about UBC seem to be coming from its capabilities in research and the "recognized" programs its got. Sure, these are definitely essential parts of a university you need to make a good university. As a student though who's paying thousands of dollars to go to the school though? I could care less about all that stuff. I want an effective learning environment, where I'm not sitting in a chair mindlessly absorbing information for an hour for every class of everyday.

So then the question comes as to how come I'm not ditching this school I'm constantly complaining about. Well that's where my agreement with you comes in...sort of.

The branding of education is extremely overrated. It's not how one's academics should be judged, but in the real world, the "cover of the book" means so much. So reluctantly, I accept that the "brand" of my education holds some merit when I'm out there looking for a job. It's just one of the ways the real world works. When an employer is looking to hire a kid to fill up an entry-level position and assuming that the job interviews went well for all the candidates, who's the employer going to hire? The one that's gotten a degree from UBC or the one who finished a two year program at some college?

Is business really difficult to get into as well? We've been discussing univ a lot recently.

Also international economics?

Commerce at UBC will now be more difficult than ever for locals to receive direct admission. There will be an increase in the amount of international students in Sauder. If you're from Vancouver you will have to be more than exceptional to receive admission. Nonetheless, it is doable if you put your all into it.

I dunno, the MICB program and the physics program are well recognized internationally. If you're an average joe just looking for a Bachelor's before settling down then whatever, it makes no difference where you go. But certain grad programs are ridiculously well reputed, I just don't think the average first year cares about what research labs are doing what, or the internationally recognized professors they'll work with in upper years so they think these reputations are "overrated".

So is the branding of education with a name overrated? Yeah, of course it is. But it's really stupid to shove aside the competition, high standards and facilities some specific departments have (no not med school) as overrated because all you know of science is medical and dental school

I really admire your naivety. I really do. I was once like you then one day I woke up and realized that none of that matters to employers.

I wish you luck.

If anyone could help me on this question I would greatly appreciate it.

If the base of an insect's leg has a radius of about 2.7^-5m and the insect's mass is 0.016g, would you expect the six-legged insect to remain on top of the water?

-The answer is no. I got that already

Determine the maximum mass of the six-legged insect that can remain on top of the water?

I am stuck on this question. Help please.

Archived