The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC Admission Requirements

KoreanHockeyFan

co-op?

It's not a co-op. The human performance center we have on campus has all the machines and technology to practice "real life" things on. A lot of profs, more so those who teach 300 and 400 level courses, but some 200 level course profs too (for example biodynamics and biomechanics) take their classes in there. Certain labs for a class will spend the entire semester in there.

life experience. Seeing different parts of the world, getting robbed, eating weird food, staying with odd people etc... it will teach you easy more than any textbook or classroom could ever hope to teach you.

Why not just do both? I spent a year studying abroad and it's probably been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I got to travel around Europe and get educated in my chosen field.

Going on exchange is a great way to get exposed to different cultures and (at least for me) figuring out how to live independently.

Why not just do both? I spent a year studying abroad and it's probably been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I got to travel around Europe and get educated in my chosen field.

Going on exchange is a great way to get exposed to different cultures and (at least for me) figuring out how to live independently.

Sure, that's good as well. There's no one way of doing it 'right', just go do it.

getting an undergrad is just a box you can tick on your application. No one cares what your major was in or how awesome you did on project x. I'm in the real world in a position where i hire people and real world experience is waaaaaay more valuable than the fact you got an a average in poli sci or whatever.

University is good, but it's just a place where you go to learn how to think. What the subject is is irrelevant unless you plan on a career in academia.

It really depends on the degree and program. Although university isn't just a place to go learn how to "think". If you are in medical or dental school, it teaches you more than how to "think". Some of the undergrad programs are stupid but that doesn't mean the whole university thing is useless.

life experience. Seeing different parts of the world, getting robbed, eating weird food, staying with odd people etc... it will teach you easy more than any textbook or classroom could ever hope to teach you.

It's meaningless for me to sit here and say it, you have to go do it. It's not easy and there's loads of reasons why you shouldn't or can't but screw it, less short and that crapty job can wait.

So a homeless person is more valuable than some educated person that graduated from university? Because of life experience? Hahaha.... you would need both to succeed in the real world. Yes, eating sushi with some Japanese girl makes me more valuable to the employer.

It really depends on the degree and program. Although university isn't just a place to go learn how to "think". If you are in medical or dental school, it teaches you more than how to "think". Some of the undergrad programs are stupid but that doesn't mean the whole university thing is useless.

Never said university is stupid, it's just not the be all end all. Medical and dental schools are post BA. Your BA is where you go to learn how to think, how to think critically. My point is that most 17/18 year olds who go straight from high school to university aren't ready yet.

So a homeless person is more valuable than some educated person that graduated from university? Because of life experience? Hahaha.... you would need both to succeed in the real world. Yes, eating sushi with some Japanese girl makes me more valuable to the employer.

No you clown, not my point at all. You mock cause you don't understand.

...it's all in the link I provided. Read the article.

And Int. Econ is a brand new program at UBC, so there are no numbers for it.

UBC is overrated lol. There's no way in spinning it. It's only held in such high prestige because of the fact that it's a full size university with a Law and Med program. Not to mention the fact that somehow Sauder has gotten such a large reputation for some odd reason...SFU's Beedie program is just as good.

Despite that being said, UBC is still a great school. I'm probably just saying all of this negative stuff because I come from an Asian background. I don't know about other Asian cultures, but when you're Korean and you say to one of your relatives or family friends that you're going to UBC, you're going to get treated like some kind of wonder whizz kid.

Both Sauder and Beedie are great. I think that even for Beedie you will need at least a 90% average to get acceptance.

Never said university is stupid, it's just not the be all end all. Medical and dental schools are post BA. Your BA is where you go to learn how to think, how to think critically. My point is that most 17/18 year olds who go straight from high school to university aren't ready yet.

I appreciate what you're saying. It's also why moving out the parents' place and learning how to take care of yourself is so important. Parents do so many little things for you that you don't really notice until you get the hell out and struggle, but everyone will make it and will be better for it.

I agree. The only regret that I have so far in my life is not taking a couple of years off school to travel. I plan to do it after I get my degree though.

If you have the ability and the resources to both travel and get an education, you should do both while you still have the time to. Neither is more important than the other, it just depends on what your outlook on life is.

Get out of your parents house and actually experience the real world.

I know so many idiots in my program, which is considered to be one of the "top business schools in Canada." A local genuinely tried arguing with me that Vancouver was BC's capital, not Victoria.

And for your little homeless man debate- a homeless man sure as hell knows a lot more than the majority of "educated" people from university. Just because you studied 7 hours the night before your exam, doesn't make you educated. It's what you do with that education that matters.

I know so many idiots in my program, which is considered to be one of the "top business schools in Canada." A local genuinely tried arguing with me that Vancouver was BC's capital, not Victoria.

And for your little homeless man debate- a homeless man sure as hell knows a lot more than the majority of "educated" people from university. Just because you studied 7 hours the night before your exam, doesn't make you educated. It's what you do with that education that matters.

I have to agree with you on this one, theres a sharp difference between street smarts and book smarts. Whats the point of education if you can sometimes study a week or two before a test without even opening the book before and get a decent grade on the midterm or final? I must admit I'm guilty of that but its a very common practice in universities. How you apply your degree after graduation is what matters the most.

Am here studying abroad in the Philippines, the "real world". So I don't know why you are spewing your ignorance here, when I know very well that education can increase the chances of having a job in the future. A homeless man doesn't know about the things that I know. I already graduated and got my Bachelor's degree (Major in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry), already did internships via CO-OP program, volunteered at hospitals, got a Pharmacy Technician certificate and now am studying Dentistry in the PHILIPPINES. I already have travelled to Europe, Middle East/Asia, America etc. So please, I think I know more than you already and know how the "real world" works.

I have to agree with you on this one, theres a sharp difference between street smarts and book smarts. Whats the point of education if you can sometimes study a week or two before a test without even opening the book before and get a decent grade on the midterm or final? I must admit I'm guilty of that but its a very common practice in universities. How you apply your degree after graduation is what matters the most.

Yes, but you do need both if you want to be successful. Education isn't about grades, thats a narrow minded point of view. So when I become a dentist in the future, does that mean the education and training I received was useless? Now I do get that some undergrad degrees are useless but to categorize education as being useless is idiotic.

Well, you need your Bachelors degree to get into law school, dental school, medical school, optometry school etc. The Bachelors degree covers the basis or foundation of what you might need for grad school or going into professional schools. I know that some courses are fillers and stupid waste of time or money when it might not be related at all to the field you want to go in, but it is necessary to have some foundation before going into either grad/professional school. In fact, it is a requirement, a pre-requisite for getting into those schools. This is why I don't necessarily agree with you when you say that BA degrees are useless or students aren't ready to tackle university at 17 or 18. Here in the Philippines, you have dentists working at the ripe age of 22 and they go into dental school when they are 18 years of age. Taking time off after high school for 1 or 2 years is a big waste of time, unless you are productive during that time. Travelling can be done at any time during your schooling, whether its on holidays or semestral breaks. Time is something that you can never get back and I never understand why people like to take time off after high school and jerk around instead of either working or studying. I say this due to the fact that as you get older, you might get wiser but your capacity to work or study slowly declines.

I agree. The only regret that I have so far in my life is not taking a couple of years off school to travel. I plan to do it after I get my degree though.

If you have the ability and the resources to both travel and get an education, you should do both while you still have the time to. Neither is more important than the other, it just depends on what your outlook on life is.

It is never too late to travel. So I wouldn't regret it. Now what if you did take a couple of years off to travel and then wanted to go back to school but couldn't due to a much more competitive environment or tougher entrance requirements? Travelling can be done whether you are 10, 20, 30 or heck even 60 years old. If people are using the time off as an excuse to "discover" what they like, that can also be done during school, either through co-op programs or if you do extracurricular activities like volunteering etc.

Well, you need your Bachelors degree to get into law school, dental school, medical school, optometry school etc. The Bachelors degree covers the basis or foundation of what you might need for grad school or going into professional schools. I know that some courses are fillers and stupid waste of time or money when it might not be related at all to the field you want to go in, but it is necessary to have some foundation before going into either grad/professional school. In fact, it is a requirement, a pre-requisite for getting into those schools. This is why I don't necessarily agree with you when you say that BA degrees are useless or students aren't ready to tackle university at 17 or 18. Here in the Philippines, you have dentists working at the ripe age of 22 and they go into dental school when they are 18 years of age. Taking time off after high school for 1 or 2 years is a big waste of time, unless you are productive during that time. Travelling can be done at any time during your schooling, whether its on holidays or semestral breaks. Time is something that you can never get back and I never understand why people like to take time off after high school and jerk around instead of either working or studying. I say this due to the fact that as you get older, you might get wiser but your capacity to work or study slowly declines.

You can go on vacation on holidays, you can't travel. Any idiot can go to a resort for a week, that is not traveling.

Getting a BA is important, but the subject for 95% of people is irrelevant. It's just the process. But when you're 17/18 most people are too young and stupid to appreciate school. The fact that you can't even fathom why people would go traveling just makes me feel sorry for you. Life is short and time is something you'll never get back. Use it wisely.

You can go on vacation on holidays, you can't travel. Any idiot can go to a resort for a week, that is not traveling.

Getting a BA is important, but the subject for 95% of people is irrelevant. It's just the process. But when you're 17/18 most people are too young and stupid to appreciate school. The fact that you can't even fathom why people would go traveling just makes me feel sorry for you. Life is short and time is something you'll never get back. Use it wisely.

Dude, we have 1 month semestral breaks over here, which is ample time for you to "travel". Unless you want to travel the whole world like that person from Calgary where it took him so many years to do. My cousin has finished law school and has "traveled" to 100 or more countries. How did he do that? He didn't take 2 years off school? Vacation or travel can be done during school, even if you want to take a semester off and have 2 to 3 months, it can be done. You don't need years off to travel, unless you want to be the next Marco Polo. Studying abroad is actually more of an eye opener than just travelling all over the place.

You are right that the time is short and we have to use it wisely, that is the reason why I said you shouldn't be taking 2 years off before attending school. There is always a chance to travel or even study abroad after you graduate. Heck, am an example of this.

Archived