The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks interested in Martin Erat

^

you mean the Naslund that scored 106 goals in his last four seasons, 32, 24, 25, and 24 at age 36 lol - to go with 113 assists in his last three years in Vancouver.

What a disaster it would be if Erat could merely produce like that here....

Goldfish perspective all over the place in this thread. Erat scores only 6 points in 23 games in minimal minutes - enough to apparently write the guy off.

I'd be happy to take a chance on Erat.

He has one more season at 4.5 - so if Booth goes the other way, his cap his is not going to get in the way.

If the cap rises by 6 million in the offseason, the Canucks are still in extremely strong position to add yet another quality player.

There's not going to be much need to sweeten any pot on a Booth / Erat deal.

Erat has publicly declared he wants to be moved. We all know what that does for a GM's leverage, particularly when that player has been hustled into the doghouse.

I think it's a pretty fair trade off - they're both responsible two way players - at this point I simply think that Erat's skillset gives the Canucks a better chance of developing chemistry and complementing Kesler than Booth does. We sacrifice a bit of Booth's 'power forward' presence for a playmaking presence for Kesler. There is the possibility that Schroeder could provide that role if he returns to health, but Erat's speed and ability to feed Kesler could give the Canucks the pair of top 6 scoring lines that has been missing the past couple seasons.

I read a few different articles on the Erat situation this morning. Surprising number of commenters suggesting the Booth/Erat swap. These weren't just Canucks blogs/fans, seems to be a common suggestion from around the hockey world.

The other name coming up quite often was Michalek in Ottawa.

I would take Michalek in a heartbeat.

Don't take any player's performance in Ottawa right now as an indicator of their skill. The word around town is that the Sens make quite a bit of money, and with the really low internal salary cap the owner is just pocketing a whack of profit. Not really much incentive to play 100% in that scenario knowing you have little chance to win.

C'mon Old News!!

The Naslund comparison...

48 goals 104 pts to 24 goals at the end of his tenure. This with top line minutes and pp. Not nearly the same killer instinct. Are we remembering the same player here.

As I stated a comparable drop off has Erat netting us 25-35pts and soft as butter with not a lot of finish.

Erat-Kesler-Schroeder following the twins now that is a playoff lineup to fear.

I don't see how Erat helps unless Gillis wants to trade Schroeder for him. Which would be a mistake.

C'mon Old News!!

48 goals 104 pts to 24 goals at the end of his tenure. This with top line minutes and pp. Not nearly the same killer instinct. Are we remembering the same player here.

As I stated a comparable drop off has Erat netting us 25-35pts and soft as butter with not a lot of finish.

I don't see how Erat helps unless Gillis wants to trade Schroeder for him. Which would be a mistake.

Nope. The last two years Naslund spent here the twins were the top line - they were ppg players in 2006 - and even the year before were neck and neck with Naslund and Bert for the team lead in scoring.

Btw - all those seasons mentioned - took place after Marcus was 32 years old.... so the expected/presumed dropoff of Erat isn't really parallel - Erat is only 32 - folks are basing this assumed 'dropoff'' on literally 250 minutes of hockey. Premature imo - and as for "soft", that's been over-stated in this thread.

Nope. The last two years Naslund spent here the twins were the top line - they were ppg players in 2006 - and even the year before were neck and neck with Naslund and Bert for the team lead in scoring.

Btw - all those seasons mentioned - took place after Marcus was 32 years old.... so the expected/presumed dropoff of Erat isn't really parallel - Erat is only 32 - folks are basing this assumed 'dropoff'' on literally 250 minutes of hockey. Premature imo - and as for "soft", that's been over-stated in this thread.

This team needs size and goal scoring in our top 6 not a 32 yr old has been playmaker.

Just my opinion.

Erat in the right setting has some productivity left. My feeling is he is not a good fit here.

As for Nazzy I feel horrible I used him and Erat in the same sentence.

This team needs size and goal scoring in our top 6 not a 32 yr old has been playmaker.

Just my opinion.

Erat in the right setting has some productivity left. My feeling is he is not a good fit here.

As for Nazzy I feel horrible I used him and Erat in the same sentence.

The point here really has nothing to do with Erat vs the world.

The discussion pretty much boils down to Erat vs Booth.

Is Booth "a good fit here"?

Is he a better fit than Erat?

Is there anyone else that Booth could be dealt for?

Or do we now want to keep Booth?

I'm really not that invested, but folks suggesting that Erat is a has been downgrade are running straight upstream against all the Booth hating that has been taking place on these boards.

If you want size and scoring in the top 6 it's either got to be a 'reborn' Booth, or it'll cost a whole lot more than him. Erat is simply a guy that, one for one, might squeeze more production out of the second line - might actually have an idea where Kesler is on the ice when he's in possession of the puck.

C'mon Old News!!

That is one soft second line holy jeez

The point here really has nothing to do with Erat vs the world.

The discussion pretty much boils down to Erat vs Booth.

Is Booth "a good fit here"?

Is he a better fit than Erat?

Is there anyone else that Booth could be dealt for?

Or do we now want to keep Booth?

I'm really not that invested, but folks suggesting that Erat is a has been downgrade are running straight upstream against all the Booth hating that has been taking place on these boards.

If you want size and scoring in the top 6 it's either got to be a 'reborn' Booth, or it'll cost a whole lot more than him. Erat is simply a guy that, one for one, might squeeze more production out of the second line - might actually have an idea where Kesler is on the ice when he's in possession of the puck.

The Booth hate on these boards is reminiscent of the Bieksa, Salo, Raymond, Kesler and Edler hate.

It's predictable and naive to the fact that players recovering from severe injuries are not going to be 100% for a longer period of time than most find acceptable.

Booth may never reach a level that is worthy of his inflated salary, and with injury and time missed many dont ever get back. A healthy Booth is a player we need. Will he ever be really back?? Debatable.

I say give it time. He may be "weird" but the guy has a desire to be a top athlete so we need to give him a chance.

Ideally Booth finds some sort of groove and starts playing great just in time for Jordan Schroeder to come back and be the guy that sucks, was a wasted pick, too small, etc.

The Booth hate on these boards is reminiscent of the Bieksa, Salo, Raymond, Kesler and Edler hate.

It's predictable and naive to the fact that players recovering from severe injuries are not going to be 100% for a longer period of time than most find acceptable.

Booth may never reach a level that is worthy of his inflated salary, and with injury and time missed many dont ever get back. A healthy Booth is a player we need. Will he ever be really back?? Debatable.

I say give it time. He may be "weird" but the guy has a desire to be a top athlete so we need to give him a chance.

Ideally Booth finds some sort of groove and starts playing great just in time for Jordan Schroeder to come back and be the guy that sucks, was a wasted pick, too small, etc.

We've given it plenty of time.

You forgot Burrows?

Archived