The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How to shake up the team

Damono

Alright, so we are 3-4-3 in the past ten, meaning we lost 7 of our last ten games. Now I'm not saying trade core players such as Burr, Luongo, and such but if we wanted to make the playoffs we would either have to risk not doing well further with our team now, trade for a player, or send down a player and replace him with an AHL player. So I was thinking, what would you do if you had to make a decision? Anything is accepted, just what can we do to start winning? Or do we just keep on doing bad to get a higher draft pick.

Edler needs to be traded. I like him and he is tough to give up but at this point a top 6 guy seems more beneficial along with tanev playing more minutes.

Sucks he has an NTC. The destination will have to be appealing....How about to florida for huberdeau? :D Put him in the middle with Kesler and we're gold!

I was thinking trade-wise we could possibly send Edler and a third to NYR for Del Zotto and Kreider. Just a thought, since Edler may like going to play under Vigneault and Zotty probably wants to play for a team that has a better chance currently of making the playoffs.

As much as a deal is necessary and the fact that gillis got way too little for Schneider and nothing for Ballard we are now deeper in this roster mess recipe.

Add no cap space.

A heavy sprinkling of no trade clauses for the entire d corp and most of the top six lines.

Throw in a player(s) that earns way too much money.

Add a bunch of plugs on the lines 2-4.

And the fact gillis is arguably blackballed by a lot of gms.

Florida Carolina do not have what we want or have what they need.

All means - no trades this year. Gillis stands pat and is forced to resign next year (cue naslund or courtnall/bure as gm)

As much as a deal is necessary and the fact that gillis got way too little for Schneider and nothing for Ballard we are now deeper in this roster mess recipe.

Add no cap space.

A heavy sprinkling of no trade clauses for the entire d corp and most of the top six lines.

Throw in a player(s) that earns way too much money.

Add a bunch of plugs on the lines 2-4.

And the fact gillis is arguably blackballed by a lot of gms.

Florida Carolina do not have what we want or have what they need.

All means - no trades this year. Gillis stands pat and is forced to resign next year (cue naslund or courtnall/bure as gm)

people are never going to get this are they

Varlamov

Bernier

look up those names and try and tell me Gillis got way too little for Schneider when his hand was forced in the 2013 Draft when he couldn't move Luongo throughout that year every team knew Gillis had to move one of them and he got 9th overall in a deep draft

Here's a sobering thought. IF we miss the playoffs this year, our next shot won't come until 2015 to win a playoff game.

That means, since going to the Cup final, the Canucks will have won ONE playoff game in three years. And that's without any guarantees that the 2014/2015 season will be any kinder to us.

Three playoffs, one game won. That's not just a possibility at this point, it's the most likely scenario. Don't get me wrong. I love this team. I WANT them to win. But I think some big changes need to happen, and I don't think we can pretend that this team is anywhere near being contenders right now.

There is no easy fix for this. We need to be patient and wait for the next wave of youth. Kassian needs to start to live up to his billing. And getting Horvat, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, and Corrado into the lineup is absolutely paramount!

How did the Blues get good? Tarasenko, Pietrangelo, Steen. The Blues fell into obscurity for a bit, then the next wave of youth came in to compliment their core and now they are cup favourites.

The core is fine. Not scoring, but they can't carry all the weight of scoring. If we have to just rely on the Sedins, Burr, and Kes to score without contributions from the defense or the bottom 6, we aren't gonna win many games.

The best time for a "shake up" has come and gone. We moved 2 big pieces in recent years and have nothing yet to show for it. The core's prime is on it's final few years, while reinforcements seem to far out. The timing of the transition that this team will soon see was botched pretty badly, without any changes, it's likely to be pretty mediocre.

Something could still be done, it will just be a lot harder and cost a lot more.

people are never going to get this are they

Varlamov

Bernier

look up those names and try and tell me Gillis got way too little for Schneider when his hand was forced in the 2013 Draft when he couldn't move Luongo throughout that year every team knew Gillis had to move one of them and he got 9th overall in a deep draft

Varlamov got traded for a 1st and 2nd rounder. Ended up being the 11th pick (Filip Forsberg, but Mikhail Grigorenko, and Tomas Hertl still availabe), but for most of the season, it was expected to be a top-5 pick under a late surge near the end of the season.

Considering that Cory Schneider was more developed and proven, you can say the Canucks probably could have gotten more.

People please.

The fans in this market are going to have to face the facts....that this teams' best days are long gone and it's time to start the transition for the old to the next gen.

There's no way MG should be trading any picks or prospects for a short term quick fix here, and if anything, assuming we're out of the playoffs at the trade deadline, Gillis should be looking to move some valuable pieces that should be able to fetch a high price at the deadline.

I'm not saying blow it up, but the only players that should really be untouchable are the twins and Lui. Trading one or two of a Burr, or Kes, or Higgy or Hansen or any of our defencemen should get us several more high picks and prospects that will launch the rebuild full throttle.

My main issue is that I don't have confidence in Mike Gillis to make the best trades possible.

Start by getting rid of the guy who hands out NTCs like candies.

Gillis is not good at trading. He will get desperate and will do anything to save his job. Other GMs will see this and will try to fleece him. That might include Horvat/Shinkaruk + 1st being ship for someone not even a legit top 6 scorer or for a ballard type player.

Archived