The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Memo to: (insert somebody in Canuckland)

yes we can nucks

Concern is one thing. Saying it 'will' be an early exit is another. Besides, remember when people said that about the 2012 Kings?

Wondering if other fans agree that they want to see their team (any team) score more goals and not lose early in the playoffs? Not exactly going out on a limb here are you..?

If I remember correctly though, they weren't a true 8th place team. They were expected to be a much better team at the start of the season but were incredibly bad up to Christmas. They fired their coach in December and hired Sutter immediately, traded for Jeff Carter in January, then became one of the hottest teams in the last couple of months of the season, making the playoffs in the 8th seed.

Besides, the whole idea of just squeaking into the playoffs and anything can happen idea is a myth. Of the last 36 Stanley Cup finalists (the only stats I could find easily), only two were 8th seeds, and only one (the 2012 Kings) has won the Cup. So the odds aren't exactly in an low seeded teams' favour. Also, given the Canucks haven't made it past the first round the last two seasons with arguably stronger rosters than the current edition, and given the team would likely face one of the two best overall teams in the league, I'd say a first round exit is probably more likely than not.

It's for this reason that I hope, maybe selfishly, that we don't make the playoffs as this will provide us with a higher draft pick and provide the impetus for the change this team clearly needs.

Also OP, Kes isn't doing anything wrong. I believe Kesler is not only the emotional leader of this team, but he does so many things that don't show up on the stats sheets that I couldn't begin to imagine where this team would be without him.

I really like that people who seem to have no confidence in Gillis as GM want him to make a big trade. It is also nice not to say who we should get, who we should trade or how the team will improve when the move is made.

There isn't a team in the NHL giving up top 6 scorers without expecting a king's ransom in return. Basically, we would have to start with the rights to Horvat, a first and add pieces to that. So, mortgage whatever future we have for a "win now" season when this team doesn't appear to have the parts to win now and are more than one player away from being deep enough to survive for more than a round or two if we make the playoffs.

I really like that people who seem to have no confidence in Gillis as GM want him to make a big trade. It is also nice not to say who we should get, who we should trade or how the team will improve when the move is made.

There isn't a team in the NHL giving up top 6 scorers without expecting a king's ransom in return. Basically, we would have to start with the rights to Horvat, a first and add pieces to that. So, mortgage whatever future we have for a "win now" season when this team doesn't appear to have the parts to win now and are more than one player away from being deep enough to survive for more than a round or two if we make the playoffs.

I can really only think of 2...and both are rentals and both probably wont resign here...Vanek and Moulson...Neither worth going in on because neither really fix this team and both would take away from the future

There are just as many or more posters wanting change that are hoping MG is gone before that happens. The common denominator is that changes need to be made. My fear with GIllis after "core" is that he has tied his horse to that group and will make moves to bring in complimentary pieces for short term gain and to try and get this core to the promised land. I believe that ship has sailed and that the core no longer has that in them and that the core needs to be moved to bring in the next generation of contenders. Obviously some mix of the vets and new blood is intended.

I would be okay with Gillis having a role in finding UFAs and prospects etc but am not comfortable with his hands on the trade button.

Archived