The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Memo to: (insert somebody in Canuckland)

yes we can nucks

Taking a page out of sports talk 1040, send a memo to someone in Canuckland. I'll start.

Memo to Mike Gillis:

It's time to stop imitating Stand Pat Quinn and to make one of your 'bold moves'. It's been obvious for the last couple of seasons that this team needs secondary scoring. It's painful watching the current roster outworking the other team most nights and not being able to put the puck in the net. Bless them for trying but outside of a few guys, they just haven't got the skill to do it. We're at the lower half of the league in scoring, our powerplay is one of the worst. We're terrible in shootouts. It's going to be a serious challenge just to make the playoffs. Even if we squeak in, it'll be an early exit again.

The team needs a boost now. Our only chips are one or more of our dmen, our only position of strength. Yeah, it might hurt a little, but you have to give somebody good to get somebody good back. Our priority now is more scoring. To make an impact the trade would have to involve multiple players. Don't wait. Do it soon so the team has the rest of the season to rebuild its chemistry heading into the playoffs.

Memo to Kes,

Great to see you scoring again. Hope you can keep up the beast mode without hurting yourself again. But please... stop imitating Pavel Bure, trying to split the defense with your stickwork. More often than not, you lose control of the puck and a chance is wasted. It would be more effective to use your linemates. Since there are two guys on you, somebody's open. Then go to where you get most of your goals... in the dirty areas in front of the net. Also, work on bringing back your patented wrist shot.

Rather keep things on a positive roll and I question this.

So what's Kes doing wrong again? Scoring? Oh yeah, problem there. I don't care if he's imitating Barney, as long as he's finding ways to crash and bang that puck into the net, he can skate down there like Stars On Ice.

"Even if we squeak in...it'll be an early exit"

I think we need fans who don't imitate fortune tellers. But I'll let this fly (for now), even though I suspect trolling. Let's see how you respond to people.

Here's my contribution:

Memo to Canucks fans: nothing says your ideas will work (any better). The team wants to win and, especially when they finally are finding ways, let's support them in that. Let's not criticize guys who are putting up goals because they aren't "sharing". We gripe when they don't score, then when they do? Seems a little unfair.

Rather keep things on a positive roll and I question this.

So what's Kes doing wrong again? Scoring? Oh yeah, problem there. I don't care if he's imitating Barney, as long as he's finding ways to crash and bang that puck into the net, he can skate down there like Stars On Ice.

"Even if we squeak in...it'll be an early exit"

I think we need fans who don't imitate fortune tellers. But I'll let this fly (for now), even though I suspect trolling. Let's see how you respond to people.

Deb, I assure you I'm not trolling. The Kes thing I've noticed for a while and was my pet peeve. Yes, he's scoring now and I love it. I hope he sustains it. But I'm saying if he uses his linemates more, there'd be more quality scoring chances. I realize my timing isn't great to bring it up but I had to say it.

Re the 'early exit', I think it's a legitimate concern, not only for me, but for a lot of fans. Lack of scoring has been a problem in the last two playoffs, rresulting in early exits. Nothing has been done to relieve my concerns. As I said, we're at the bottom half of the league in scoring, we can't score on the power play (though there's been some improvement lately), and we can't score on shootouts ... which can be costly in the end.

Let's see what others think of this concern and its consequence of an early exit.

I'm puzzled by your suggestion of my trolling. It's a legit concern.

Deb, I assure you I'm not trolling. The Kes thing I've noticed for a while and was my pet peeve. Yes, he's scoring now and I love it. I hope he sustains it. But I'm saying if he uses his linemates more, there'd be more quality scoring chances. I realize my timing isn't great to bring it up but I had to say it.

Re the 'early exit', I think it's a legitimate concern, not only for me, but for a lot of fans. Lack of scoring has been a problem in the last two playoffs, rresulting in early exits. Nothing has been done to relieve my concerns. As I said, we're at the bottom half of the league in scoring, we can't score on the power play (though there's been some improvement lately), and we can't score on shootouts ... which can be costly in the end.

Let's see what others think of this concern and its consequence of an early exit.

I'm puzzled by your suggestion of my trolling. It's a legit concern.

Concern is one thing. Saying it 'will' be an early exit is another. Besides, remember when people said that about the 2012 Kings?

Wondering if other fans agree that they want to see their team (any team) score more goals and not lose early in the playoffs? Not exactly going out on a limb here are you..?

Actually when Kes split the D, he had a pretty good chance but just lost control of the puck at the very end..the man's playing with confidence, let him be.

This. I haven't seen this much confidence from Kes since the Nashville series. When he's at his best, he's the best player on the team.

Memo to CDC:

It's one thing to criticize players but another to downright treat them like the haters from other team's fans do.

Please ban all haters from CDC.

That includes people who say things like "Luongo flops like a beached whale" - that's not criticism, that's hate.

Signed....real Canucks fans.

Memo to OP: Gillis can't just make great trades at will. I suspect he has a much better idea of what's needed and the price than anyone here and doesn't need to be told over and over again. If there were a decent trade out there that didn't gut this team, there is no reason to think he wouldnt do it. There simply aren't that many key players available: no teams are making these trades even though there are teams with more need than Vancouver. If you truly think that he has trades on the table and is just opting not to do them, that's your prerogative, but I don't believe it.

Actually when Kes split the D, he had a pretty good chance but just lost control of the puck at the very end..the man's playing with confidence, let him be.

And it's not like that's become his signature move. He saw a chnace to split the D and took it - yeah, it didn't work, but it's a low percentage play at best anyway.

Memo to CDC:

It's one thing to criticize players but another to downright treat them like the haters from other team's fans do.

Please ban all haters from CDC.

That includes people who say things like "Luongo flops like a beached whale" - that's not criticism, that's hate.

Signed....real Canucks fans.

Actually, I would say it's hyperbole. And, at times in the past, a valid criticism.

Concern is one thing. Saying it 'will' be an early exit is another. Besides, remember when people said that about the 2012 Kings?

Wondering if other fans agree that they want to see their team (any team) score more goals and not lose early in the playoffs? Not exactly going out on a limb here are you..?

I dont remember anyone saying it was going to be an early exit for the kings lol. They shouldnt have been an 8th seed. They were, but in many peoples eyes they really wernt an 8th seed type team. I had them winning the president trophy that year. They underperformed all year and peaked at the right time. We had the best chance to beat them.

Haha, CDC is the most braindead place in the (imaginary) world. Everyone is bashing the OP just because we've won a few games in a row. Those same people were crying for a rebuild a week ago when we were losing...

This is the thing. We've beaten a few weak teams lately. But the standings still show we're outside of a playoff position. I'm worried about the team down the road with this roster. They simply haven't been able to score enough goals against the good teams. Nashville was missing their starting goalie and best dman and we struggled to win. Have people already forgotten our losing streak when we could only score one goal per game? If nothing is changed, I don't see how they'd go anywhere in the playoffs. Why this doesn't seem to concern people baffles me.

And why do people jump all over me for saying 'it WILL be an early exit'? I put a rider on it... I said 'IF'. When has it been wrong to make a prediction? You all have predictions, don't you? You may not like my prediction but I'm entitled to it.

Nah I rather just wait for Gaunce, Shinkaruk and Horvat to push our top 9 past the breaking point and then have 4 years of under signed forwards with 1st round picks getting paid a million for 3 years, Oh yea, and the cap goes up to 80 million.

It's Chicago time baby

Kesler just scored 4 goals in 2 games what more do you want from the guy? Kes is awesome and is approching beast mode he's pretty much our best player! The way some of you jump all of our players even when they are playing amazing is beyond disgusting! Stop hatin on kes for not 'sharing' and scoring instead. Far as I am concerned as long as kes on his game I could care less what fancy moves he makes. Stop hating and bask in the awesome that is Kesler's beast mode!

Archived