The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Twelve Players Canucks should target moving forward to the 2014-15 Season

Bert Diesel

And a big NO to Tambellini. The fact that we had to play him in the cup final shows us that the 2011 team had less depth than the 2014-15 team look like it will. We had Oreskovich, Glass, Tambellini playing and AV did not trust them with minutes. By the time we played Boston and had injuries, we had no depth and our big guns ran out of gass.

Gillis won't overpay for FAs, and with this market it's a good thing. Unfortunately that rules out a lot of these players.

I'd maybe target Ott as FA - his value will be down after a poor year, but he's a solid player. The bottom 6 would be really strong with him.

You don't have to worry about waivers with Corrado, Gaunce, Jensen, Horvat, Shinkaruk next season, we will have much more felxibility when injury time hits.

Horvat I think is still Jr. or Canucks FWIW but the rest I believe yes, can be in Utica and called up at will.

Guessing Jensen's still a year or two off though...he needs some steady, healthy time learning the N.A. game. Others will liely get the call up before him.

The only flaw in this is the delusional expectations of CDC for older players to contribute at the same level they did 5 year prior on more expensive (prorated for inflation) deals.

Bringing someone like Salo back a a 6/7 guy at ~$1m is not the same as signing him to be a top 4 D 6 years ago at $3.5m.

Perspective.

Exactly.

This team needs players who can contribute offensively as well as defense that can shut down other team's top scorers.

So why bring back anyone that has been gone far too long?

Exactly.

This team needs players who can contribute offensively as well as defense that can shut down other team's top scorers.

So why bring back anyone that has been gone far too long?

Because teams also need depth? Because there's a cap and we can't have 7 d-men on the roster all making $4m+?

WTF does how long someone's been away have anything to do with their ability to still contribute in a lesser (but necessary) role with a correspondingly lesser salary?

Seriously WTF? :blink:

Because teams also need depth? Because there's a cap and we can't have 7 d-men on the roster all making $4m+?

WTF does how long someone's been away have anything to do with their ability to still contribute in a lesser (but necessary) role with a correspondingly lesser salary?

Seriously WTF? :blink:

Seriously? You don't understand? I thought you did...

Because I don't see anyone coming back at a "lesser" salary these days.

Because we have enough players and depth players that already fulfill the "lesser" roles on this team.

Seriously? You don't understand? I thought you did...

Because we have enough players and depth players that already fulfill the "lesser" roles on this team.

-As long as you take inflation in to account as a sensible person would, that's simply not true.

-Salo is probably a better option than Alberts or Weber as a 6/7 guy and Corrado is better off playing top minutes in the AHL than watching from the press box half the season. So no, we don't. Or at least not anyone Salo wouldn't be an improvement over.

I would disagree that we have enough lesser players. Would Boston, LA, Chicago, SJ have players like Dalpe, Welsh, Archibald, Sestito on their fourth line. Those teams have 4 line depth plus minor league prospects. We have had to play our top 6 huge minutes because we don't have a full compliment of NHL players able to compete at this level. If we can't sign a top 6 guy, why don't another depth forward or D?

-As long as you take inflation in to account as a sensible person would, that's simply not true.

-Salo is probably a better option than Alberts or Weber as a 6/7 guy and Corrado is better off playing top minutes in the AHL than watching from the press box half the season. So no, we don't. Or at least not anyone Salo wouldn't be an improvement over.

The downside of "older" players:

2013/11/16 Missed 2 games (lower body injury). 2013/11/12 Lower body injury, day-to-day. 2013/10/05 Missed 1 game (upper body injury). 2013/10/03 Upper body injury, day-to-day. 2013/03/04 Missed 2 games (lower body injury). 2013/02/28 Lower body injury, day-to-day.

How long before he's out for 2 weeks? or 4? or season ending?

Again, show me one player that left their team, then after several years, came back and made a significant contribution to their team.

Now, compare that to all the players that have come back and what percentage is it as far as significant contribution?

I bet it's less than 5%.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for a seasoned vet with a Stanley Cup ring that can still contribute...I just don't see any of our past players worth it.

Well...maybe Schneider...

Edit:

Some defense comparisons:

Boston has only 2 defense over 30: Seidenberg(32) and Chara(36)

Chicago has 3: Keith(30), Rozsival(35) and Brookbank(33)

Vancouver has 3: Hamhuis(31), Bieksa(32) and Alberts(32)

Salo is 39! Would he be better than Alberts? I guess so but for how long?

He's a UFA end of this year, so that means he's 40 next season...

The downside of "older" players:

2013/11/16 Missed 2 games (lower body injury). 2013/11/12 Lower body injury, day-to-day. 2013/10/05 Missed 1 game (upper body injury). 2013/10/03 Upper body injury, day-to-day. 2013/03/04 Missed 2 games (lower body injury). 2013/02/28 Lower body injury, day-to-day.

How long before he's out for 2 weeks? or 4? or season ending?

Again, show me one player that left their team, then after several years, came back and made a significant contribution to their team.

Now, compare that to all the players that have come back and what percentage is it as far as significant contribution?

I bet it's less than 5%.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for a seasoned vet with a Stanley Cup ring that can still contribute...I just don't see any of our past players worth it.

Well...maybe Schneider...

Edit:

Some defense comparisons:

Boston has only 2 defense over 30: Seidenberg(32) and Chara(36)

Chicago has 3: Keith(30), Rozsival(35) and Brookbank(33)

Vancouver has 3: Hamhuis(31), Bieksa(32) and Alberts(32)

Salo is 39! Would he be better than Alberts? I guess so but for how long?

He's a UFA end of this year, so that means he's 40 next season...

Salo's also still averaging around 20 minutes a night still in Tampa FWIW. Playing here, at probably closer to 10-15 minutes (3rd pairing and 2nd unit PP likely) and not every game would minimize that issue. Besides you could have posted that about Salo 10 years ago too...lol

I'm not saying we absolutely should sign him...I'm saying it could be worthwhile at the right price. Again, he's a better 7th d-man than Weber or Alberts. Period.

The rest of your "points" are frankly irrelevant. If a player makes your team better at a dollar figure that makes sense, you sign them. I don't care where they've played etc. You're being obtuse.

Salo's also still averaging around 20 minutes a night still in Tampa FWIW. Playing here, at probably closer to 10-15 minutes (3rd pairing and 2nd unit PP likely) and not every game would minimize that issue. Besides you could have posted that about Salo 10 years ago too...lol

I'm not saying we absolutely should sign him...I'm saying it could be worthwhile at the right price. Again, he's a better 7th d-man than Weber or Alberts. Period.

The rest of your "points" are frankly irrelevant. If a player makes your team better at a dollar figure that makes sense, you sign them. I don't care where they've played etc. You're being obtuse.

What's a 40 year old defenseman from the weak/soft Eastern conference going to be able to do against the likes of the Hawks, Blues, Sharks, Kings, Ducks tough hitting forwards?

I understand perfectly what you're saying, I just disagree with it.

I think your last comment was a reality check for yourself.

What's a 40 year old defenseman from the weak/soft Eastern conference going to be able to do against the likes of the Hawks, Blues, Sharks, Kings, Ducks tough hitting forwards?

I understand perfectly what you're saying, I just disagree with it.

I think your last comment was a reality check for yourself.

Really he may decide to retire making the entire debate moot.

Can you answer one question? Is he better than Weber or Alberts?

You may be right about Salo, but if we can't upgrade in other ways in the FA pool, there is zero risk to signing him to a modest FA contract. We can play him sparingly and bring up Corrado when someone gets hurt. Why would anyone be against that in principle? We know he will be more effective than our 7/8 guys this season.

Really he may decide to retire making the entire debate moot.

Can you answer one question? Is he better than Weber or Alberts?

I don't know if he would be better than either of them right now. Bang for buck I'd say what we have now is better.

Like you said, if Salo was looking to come back and didn't want more than say $1 -$1.5 million, than maybe he would be a good fit here next year.

Archived