The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Twelve Players Canucks should target moving forward to the 2014-15 Season

Bert Diesel

Maybe some little changes for me,

Hansen + Sauve for Matt Martin + 2nd round pick.

Add some toughness to this team and Matt Martin is still quite young. Hansen (2.5M) player on our 4th line is dumb we can just get a cheaper more suited player in Martin. Get a good pick aswell.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Higgins-Kesler-Santorelli(2M)

Booth-Schroeder(700K)-Kassian(1M)

Sestito-Richardson-Martin

Dalpe/Weise(combined 1.4M)

Hamhuis-Tanev(3M)

Edler-Garrison

Stanton-Bieksa

Weber

Lu

Lack

What to do with the logjam at defense with Tanev, Hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Stanton, Bieksa and adding Corrado is going to be hard to manage. Since it looks like Gillis isn't going to trade anyone with a NTC he might trade one of Stanton, Tanev and Corrado.. I like Weber as a depth D, he is a good one.

Going to be interesting to see what Gillis does but first this season Corrado should be given time to see if he is actually a NHL player or still developing.

We have a solid team this year but if we want to be a contender then we have to upgrade our roster by adding some size to our forwards.

I hope that by next yr:

-Kass will play well with the sedins and get first line minutes.

-We trade for or sign a big winger for the second line in place of Booth. However, I fear that keeping Booth will be a safety measure in case we can't get a suitable replacement.

-Horvat is able to play on the third line to develop.

-We get a big winger for our third line. Higgins and Santo have skill but not enough size for the playoffs.

All these changes would add size to our forward group.

-We keep Edler and maintain our depth on D. Edler is our biggest and most physical D.

-Corrado stays in Utica to develop.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Kesler-Big Winger or a healthy Booth

Higgins or a Big Winger-Horvat-Santos or a Big Winger

Sestito-Richardson-Hansen

Weise

Edler-Bieksa

Stanton-Garrison

Hamhuis-Tanev

Sign a vet for our seventh D.

Just out of curiousity, i'm wondering why CDC thinks our PP has declined sharply since 2011 and if Ehroff's absence is a reason? Is it a coincidence that the Sedin's had their best seasons with him rushing the puck out of our end so frequently, and making great first passes. If we can address this issue in Free Agency or through trade, who could we grab other than the three I mentioned? People seem to be against this idea, but what other conclusion can we draw from our powerplay and offensive decline?

The three names I mentioned.

Ehrhoff

Campbell

Boyle

Out of the three either Erhoff or Campbell, that guy is a PP quarterback, very underrated. he has a high cap hit but not as high as the Hoff.

Erhoff was very good at bringing the puck up the ice, he carried it in with speed and the defense had no answer for our quick setups once he passed the blue line. Only Kesler brings it up constantly, the Sedins aren't as fast bringing the puck in and when they do, the team is pretty much crossing the line with them, the other team can just set up a wall to pokecheck the puck back across. Our team D either drop passes the puck which as we know is way too predictable or shoot on the boards and hope the forecheck pays off. Stickhandling the puck across the blue line is something our D should work on but thats asking too much.

What else was he supposed to say? He would have had to take a MASSIVE hometown discount to stay in Vancouver. We couldn't have fit him under the cap anyways. He is a professional hockey player and did what he was supposed to do. Bringing up a sound byte to discredit a players loyalty is of low intelligence, inaccurate, and in this case doesn't account for the nature of professional hockey in the cap era.

What should Christian Ehrhoff have said when he signed with the Sabres "I know these guys aren't as good as Vancouver but they offered me long term security, and more money." He would have been eaten alive by Sabres fans. Give your head a shake.

• 2 weeks later...

What other puck moving defenceman might be available next year? Timmonen or Gonchar(too old?) Any other ideas people? Its unlikely that any contending team would move an important offensive defenceman. Maybe we could trade Lack to the Oilers for JJustin Schultz??

I think we should give our young guys a chance next year

I agree with you, to a point. Would be nice to see horvat, shinkaruk(think I spelt that wrong), and gaunce. But not against calahan, or statsny, or cammaleri. But why ehrhoff? WOuld take salo over him aany day, any time, any year.

I agree with you, to a point. Would be nice to see horvat, shinkaruk(think I spelt that wrong), and gaunce. But not against calahan, or statsny, or cammaleri. But why ehrhoff? WOuld take salo over him aany day, any time, any year.

I agree with you on the points about forwards. We shouldn't pencil in our youth when we have room on the farm for them to develop(and can call them up anytime). Buyout Booth or trade him and get a decent free agent. If the kids excel on the farm next year, and they should do better with all the picks available in Utica next season, then bring them up and sit the underperforming or injured veteran players. Spend to the cap!

On your other point, Ehrhoff is a much younger and more dynamic player than Salo. I would like to have both of them back but if I had to pick one it would be Ehrhoff because he adds a missing element. Garrison somewhat replaces Salo and is more durable. We haven't replaced Ehrhoff. Building a team from the back end is usally a more succesful strategy than filling it up with high scoring forwards. Look at Edmonton, great forwards , no defence.

Archived