The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Twelve Players Canucks should target moving forward to the 2014-15 Season

Bert Diesel

Pretty much like I am saying below I am not comparing him and I would agree but still you would actually want a player who is giving you 20 goals and 50 points for 19+ minutes off ice time at an expensive 5 million plus rate? My point is Vancouver loves this guy but I feel people are overlooking the fact that he was only a strong player when he was finishing for Tavares. Without Tavares he is just average.

Playmaker?! His entire success was being a finisher for Tavares.

I am not debating whether he will get paid or not he likely will but I don't get why so many Canucks fans think he is some gem when his entire dominance came with 1 player and since leaving that player he has not been nearly as dominant.

That actually sounds like Hoff with the Sedins, look at his point total with buffalo now with regular players not stars and not on the powerplay with stars and of course Hoff said he stood a better chance to win the cup with buffalo, what else did people expect him to say? (buffalo sucks i'm just there for the money?)

Forget Salo by the way, Meszaros is much the D-man we need. Buy out Booth and pick up Meszaros with that money and then have plenty left over for help up front.

Id like callahan but not for the 6 million per year he is going to demand...

I have this bad feeling we are going to trade tanev... hope not

You are right, Callahan isn't really worth more than 4.5-5 million but will probably get more. I don't think he's the missing piece, we need an offensive defenceman more. We have enough prospect depth to improve our forward group next season without making a huge move.

Unlike everyone else who is trading Edler. Why don't you people get what a NTC is and why its important for an organization to honour them.

I do get what a NTC is. What some people don't understand about it is that it doesn't mean a player with one will never be traded. All a NTC is, is that it gives the player the right to chose where he wants/where he doesn't want to be traded to.

I dont think we are signing any free agents on that list. You know the cap is going up for all the other 29 teams too right?

This is true but not many teams have so much of their core signed to such reasonable contracts. We don't have players making super inflated salaries and we have been successful attracting free agents in the Gillis era. It looks like we will be able to add one or two pieces in a trade or through free agency, plus having more prospects in the professional system next season. What makes you think we won't be able sign anyone? Vancouver is one of the more desirable organizations to play for and has won more regular season games than any organization in the past 4 years.

Also, we have signed players to NTC's and have honoured them. Players see that an organization like Vancouver doesn't disrespect their veteran players by trading them if they have a bit of a slump. All the morons out there trading Edler and other players with NTC's need to realize that this is the very reason we can attract players like Hamhius,Garrison, Sundin,Samuelson to Vancouver, and the reason that so many of our core has re-signed for far under market value here rather than seeking bigger deals elsewhere.

This is true but not many teams have so much of their core signed to such reasonable contracts. We don't have players making super inflated salaries and we have been successful attracting free agents in the Gillis era. It looks like we will be able to add one or two pieces in a trade or through free agency, plus having more prospects in the professional system next season. What makes you think we won't be able sign anyone? Vancouver is one of the more desirable organizations to play for and has won more regular season games than any organization in the past 4 years.

Also, we have signed players to NTC's and have honoured them. Players see that an organization like Vancouver doesn't disrespect their veteran players by trading them if they have a bit of a slump. All the morons out there trading Edler and other players with NTC's need to realize that this is the very reason we can attract players like Hamhius,Garrison, Sundin,Samuelson to Vancouver, and the reason that so many of our core has re-signed for far under market value here rather than seeking bigger deals elsewhere.

Can i quote you on the top paragraph and start another MG thread so some can actually get a grip on MG's mindset? I've tried but it just falls on deaf ears, i mean blind eyes in this case of reading.

Arghhhhhhhh! I didn't know Meszaros had such injury problems :sadno: (sigh) Wish there was someone like him out there w/o the injury bug. Well picking him up with a cap hit that's smaller might be a idea if his shoulder improves like kes's seems too but who knows, we don't know it's status and if a surgery would heal it or not. what a let down! :picard: here i was excited that him and his toughness etc might land here...

Canucks' Want List

As written by LeBrun on ESPN.com, the Vancouver Canucks would like to add a centre before the trade deadline and, if not a centre, a top-nine winger.

LeBrun says that Brad Richardson has been terrific as a No. 3 center for the Canucks, but feels if they can have him centring the fourth line and can upgrade the third center spot, they'd feel better about their playoff chances. If the can't they could keep Richardson in the No. 3 hole and upgrade the fourth-line centre job.

He adds that the Canucks are deep on defence throughout the organization and could put a blueliner out there to make a meaningful deal.

I don't know how we can say we have deep defence throughout the organization. I don't think we have any real offensive defenceman or any blue chip prospects on defence. Corrado is the only guy in Utica with much NHL upside. I would consider this the organization's biggest weakness.

• 3 weeks later...

If it were me, I wouldn't blow the capspace on UFA's or trades for 30+ yr old players. Exercise the remaining compliance buyout to free up more CS and target younger players via trade once the season is underway. This team is no where close to winning a Cup so what is the point of going after rental players? Tortorella is good at developing younger players and we should use that strength while he is in Vancouver.

If it were me, I wouldn't blow the capspace on UFA's or trades for 30+ yr old players. Exercise the remaining compliance buyout to free up more CS and target younger players via trade once the season is underway. This team is no where close to winning a Cup so what is the point of going after rental players? Tortorella is good at developing younger players and we should use that strength while he is in Vancouver.

Who do you trade to get these younger players? We don't have any assets we can trade, or that other teams want, except for OUR younger players. UFA's take nothing out of your system(which needs to be rebuilt from the AHL up).

Archived