The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PGT van loses to queens

Cucumber

seriously??? If you can't teach focus on scoring then why do teams spend so long working on their power play? Or shotting and passing skills.

These are systems the coach's teach its the skill of the player and a whole pile of other factors that puts the puck in the net. Now if you were to qualify that statement by saying "I wish they would focus more on getting more quality shots on net" But to say I wish they would focus more on getting more goals which is essentially what the statement your statement of " I wish they would concentrate more on scoring"

I too wish they would score more goals, who doesn't! But what is the most important point in achieving this at any particular time in the process. This is what separates a good coach from a great coach The ability to see what is needed and lead the team in that direction

Meanwhile the Hawks won last season based primarily on skill.

We are falling into a trap when we're thinking mucker hockey is the way to go.

Fine, we made a statement. Too late, and we lost, but whatever. But I sure hope the garbage hockey we've seen lately isn't all we're gonna bring on a night to night basis.

Canucks had good pushback, and really came together as a team. I mean, every player every shift was out trying to finish their checks. That is awesome to see as a fan.

Really wish they could have won that one because there are very few times I think the Canucks deserve to win, and this was one of them. Keep up the good work boys.

In his interview he said it's exactly how he wanted the team to respond even though they lost.

The Nucks have been playing not to lose for a long timer now. It appears Torts figured it was worth possibly throwing away 2 points to get the team's mind on playing to send a message and forget the score board. While they obviously can't play like that every night in the regular season, last night's game may help them to re-focus on some fundamentals and get them on the road of playing to win again.

So the Canucks play like the very idiotic goons everyone calls out teams like Boston and LA for, and suddenly we're proud of it?

And at no point did LA ever look intimidated or overwhelmed by our antics last night. I didn't see LA back down once. Nolan turtled against Sestito is the same as any time Burrows should drop the gloves against bigger true fighters and doesn't. Who got kicked out of the game? So now we've shown LA we're not going to be pushed around, but we can sure be goaded in to taking a slew of penalties. I'm sure they've taken notice.

That's the difference between LA and Vancouver. LA can play that game all night. You want to make it physical, their stars have no problem, they can dish it out as good as you can give it, but if the Sedins start getting pasted to the wall suddenly it becomes important for the Canucks to respond, because they don't want to play that type of game. Sure guys on the team can fight, we can run their goalie, we can send our goons around to send a message, but now we've stepped out of our element. There's no advantage to be gained for us playing that way.

Are the Canucks trying to prove something to LA, or themselves?

Agree to disagree.

If the Canucks continue to allow teams like LA to run our superstars and our goalies it sends a message to the reat of the league that those guys are fair game and every AHL call-up looking to make a name for himself is going to try and run Hank or Danny through the boards.

In case you haven't been paying attention, our #1 goalkeeper is on the DL because of the guy who Kesler slapped around last night. This is the same guy who took a run at Hank in the playoffs two years ago and received nothing from the refs or the Canucks for doing so.

And seriously? You're saying that Nolan turtling against Sestito is the same as Burrows not going with a true enforcer? Nolan is 6'3", 227. That's far less than Bieksa was giving up against Greene. The difference is, Juice knew that by giving Quick a shot, he was going to have to pay the piper and he stood in and gave as good as he got until it became a wrestling match.

Nolan, OTOH, chickened out. Plain and simple.

You can pin a lot of that on Torterella's "system". It's pretty clear that hamhuis is playing the style that Torterella wants him to play, a high risk, high reward game, and at times he ends up looking like Bieksa does on most nights. Mistakes are also more noticeable than the many many many good things he does every single game.

Agree 100%.

I have to shake my head at all of these comments about how Hamhuis was "making a lot of mistakes last night".

He got caught in a pinch and unfortunately it turned into a goal for the Kings, but all in all, I thought the entire defese corps played very well last night, including the oft-maligned Alex Edler.

You clearly have never played hockey, since all I've ever heard from coaches playing 20 years of hockey, is get the 2 points. Nor do I ever tell the team I coach to ever lose sight of the 2 points, Sure they've/I've preached push back, don't let them push you around. But the emphasize get the bloody 2 points, ESPECIALLY when it's a division game, ESPECIALLY when you're literally 2 points behind them in the standings, ESPECIALLY when they're a strong playoff team.

So they send a message, whoptee doo. They also send a message that they also can't sustain pressure and create good scoring opportunities playing this sort of style with teams who push with the push. In the playoffs what matters to you, the pushback or the win? Exactly.

If memory serves me correct. We finished at the top of the league in back to back years and come playoff time got our butts handed to us because we only tried to win the game.

I agree that the two points were valuable but I think we got something a lot more valuable after tonights game.

The thing is when you push back like the Canucks did, the opponent changes their plan. Did you see how much open ice the Sedins had last night? The Kings were obviously scared to come close to them all night and see what happens then? They go back to being the most dangerous offensive players in the NHL. So funny to see rats like Greene and Mitchell scared and running to the bench as fast as possible. Did you see how Greene wanted nothing to do with Bieksa? There is not one brave player on that LA KIngs line up. No wonder they are in third place.

who gives a rat's ass, score some effin goals!

Big effin deal, we won't get pushed around, hell that's worth what? oh, ya ZERO POINTS in the standings, ZERO CHANCE of getting out of the first round.

GMMG, be proud, your small semi skilled team with so many core players locked to lengthy contracts will bite us in the ass for years to come.

Maybe it stops teams from taking runs at our star players. Without them we don't make the playoffs or go on a run anyways.

You clearly have never played hockey, since all I've ever heard from coaches playing 20 years of hockey, is get the 2 points. Nor do I ever tell the team I coach to ever lose sight of the 2 points, Sure they've/I've preached push back, don't let them push you around. But the emphasize get the bloody 2 points, ESPECIALLY when it's a division game, ESPECIALLY when you're literally 2 points behind them in the standings, ESPECIALLY when they're a strong playoff team.

So they send a message, whoptee doo. They also send a message that they also can't sustain pressure and create good scoring opportunities playing this sort of style with teams who push with the push. In the playoffs what matters to you, the pushback or the win? Exactly.

So it's "clear" to you that someone has never played?

I played my first game in 1966 and I'll be playing my next this weekend. Sometimes, the 2 points is not the only thing worth considering. I have been on many teams where it was decided to send a message.

Besides, you and the rest of the whiners act like the Canucks didn't even try to win.

The fact is, they outshot and outhit the Kings. They dominated the faceoff circle. they had fewer giveaways and they blocked more shots. They did all that while amassing 29 more PIM than did LA.

The only thing they didn't do was outscore the Kings, but despite what you might believe, it was not for lack of trying.

One game is an identity? Hardly. But we'll just have to agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong I would love to have the optimism that you do but I am highly doubtful of the sustainability of playing this style of hockey. Maybe if we were in a better spot in the standings or had a numerous less number of lacklustre games where it looks like we didn't even show up during the season but as far as I'm concerned this is a blip in the radar due to the Brown on Luongo incident that everyone was lambasting the Nucks for, for the lack of the response.

At the end of the day though, you can feasibly point to the lack of wins during this run for potentially missing the playoffs if we do. Too many times in the darker years we had missed playoffs by a single point, which is why I'm far too concerned about getting points, as opposed to showing brute force.

Except what is the purpose of getting those points and getting into the playoffs if we cannot play a grittier, playoff-style game? Kind of putting the cart before the horse, no?

So the Canucks play like the very idiotic goons everyone calls out teams like Boston and LA for, and suddenly we're proud of it?

And at no point did LA ever look intimidated or overwhelmed by our antics last night. I didn't see LA back down once. Nolan turtled against Sestito is the same as any time Burrows should drop the gloves against bigger true fighters and doesn't. Who got kicked out of the game? So now we've shown LA we're not going to be pushed around, but we can sure be goaded in to taking a slew of penalties. I'm sure they've taken notice.

That's the difference between LA and Vancouver. LA can play that game all night. You want to make it physical, their stars have no problem, they can dish it out as good as you can give it, but if the Sedins start getting pasted to the wall suddenly it becomes important for the Canucks to respond, because they don't want to play that type of game. Sure guys on the team can fight, we can run their goalie, we can send our goons around to send a message, but now we've stepped out of our element. There's no advantage to be gained for us playing that way.

Are the Canucks trying to prove something to LA, or themselves?

The crazy guy in the park wearing a sign and yelling that the Armageddon is nigh is easier to listen to than your sensitive sniveling. To a man every Canucks player, coach and most fans feel good about this game, think about that.

This game gelled this team. Hank knows that Tom has his back, the team loved how Kassian played, Kesler showed his grit, Bieksa got one in on Quick, every single thing they did, they did as a team AND they kept it close while playing most of the first short handed. GREAT VICTORY. don't like it? I hear lawn bowling is looking for fans.

The crazy guy in the park wearing a sign and yelling that the Armageddon is nigh is easier to listen to than your sensitive sniveling. To a man every Canucks player, coach and most fans feel good about this game, think about that.

This game gelled this team. Hank knows that Tom has his back, the team loved how Kassian played, Kesler showed his grit, Bieksa got one in on Quick, every single thing they did, they did as a team AND they kept it close while playing most of the first short handed. GREAT VICTORY. don't like it? I hear lawn bowling is looking for fans.

I'm not saying it didn't, but they may very well go back to the same pattern as before, in which case they just gave up 2 points.

I am glad that there was a response from the team after Nolan ran at Hank, and Kesler taking on Brown in an even matchup. I do feel like they got off their game though and those were two pretty huge points at this time of the year, between these two teams. In the end it's hard to say ythe Canucks made a statement game when Brown ame back and scored the game winner.......in my books the last laugh is a pretty big thing.

At the very least it was a very entertaining game

We used to hurt teams on the scoreboard, now we want to just hurt them.

If that's the plan, then bottom-dwellers we shall become. This team isn't built for that, and games like this past one against LA prove it.

When we play big and tough, we lose our focus, and have our game get away from us. Other teams WILL score on us, and beating them up wont change that.

Embarassing to see a team proud of itself after a game like that. Stanley Cup Game 7 mentality right there.

Atleast I have the Pens.

No doubt about it, the Kings looked rattled. With almost a period in penalties the 'Nucks still out shot them. That was a great effort and I hope we took some notes on how to play the Kings. But for one bad bounce they outplayed them. I especially like how Doughty didn't want to hold onto the puck like he often does. He was getting rid of it sooner than later. Nolan wins the prize for most spineless. I think the Kings are rushing up my list of most classless team. Run the Sedins, run the goalie, then run away.

Archived