The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOURS] Daily TSN Trade Rumours.

Warhippy

anybody know enough about next years draft? any exciting players we could potentially get if we slide down in standings.

If we slide enough, allows us to at least trade up for an ekblad or reinhart. I doubt we could slide into top 5. But also there are a few potential stars in the top 10, just doesn't look like any guarantees like last year.

If we trade our 1st while we are 4 points away from a top 6 pick and on a pretty horrid slide for something that may or may not help us this year, I will cry. I would rather MG try and trade old talent for young talent and hope for a surprise, giving up a maximum of our 3rd round pick in case we finish bottom 10 and can pick up two solid players in the first two rounds of the draft. I would give up any of the following:

Tanev

Hamhuis

Edler

Garrison

Corrado

Hansen

Burrows

Luongo

Booth

I would even consider getting rid of Kesler for the right price.

We do not need a rental, we need a re-tool with some young players.

I fixed your mistake. Give your head a shake. We have a gem in our hands as a potential #2 D-Man.

I fixed your mistake. Give your head a shake. We have a gem in our hands as a potential #2 D-Man.

I think people forget Lidstrom when he first came into the league. Not the best point getter (in a different era with better players around him) but same skill set for skating and ability to evade checks.

Gotta keep Tanev and Stanton around.

I think people forget Lidstrom when he first came into the league. Not the best point getter (in a different era with better players around him) but same skill set for skating and ability to evade checks.

Gotta keep Tanev and Stanton around.

Lidstrom drank a few more protein shakes than Tanev does...

as much as i'd like to see some young skilled players brought in if you traded the right players for Vanek you wouldn't be hurting the future

what about Edler & burrows or Hansen for Vanek?

obviously Vanek is the better player but Edler is signed for 5 more years and he's still a valuble defencemen who just needs a change of scenery.

as much as i'd like to see some young skilled players brought in if you traded the right players for Vanek you wouldn't be hurting the future

what about Edler & burrows or Hansen for Vanek?

obviously Vanek is the better player but Edler is signed for 5 more years and he's still a valuble defencemen who just needs a change of scenery.

Holy overpayment for a rental who turned down a reported 50mil 7 year contract

Wake up! Tanev is a good top 4 defenseman and unless he learns to excel at offense, grows a few inches and gains some muscle he will remain one.

As for warhippy and his Lidstrom comparisons, google AA and hit up some meetings, your kids deserve better.

meaning you could forget that he's a ufa in that particular case

He has already said he will be testing FA to see where he gets offers from and go from there...So we wont be picking him up via trade...nor do I see signing him I doubt he would like being told to block shots hit and score and being screamed at over every little thing...dark days ahead need to pickup players via trade with term or overpay with Torts at the helm

Lidstrom scored 60 points as a 21 year old rookie.

Yes yes. I was in no way comparing their actual skill, just traits of the way they skate and see the game. Tanev is not anywhere near Lidstrom as a side by side comparison. But certain aspects of his game are very similar.

Yes yes. I was in no way comparing their actual skill, just traits of the way they skate and see the game. Tanev is not anywhere near Lidstrom as a side by side comparison. But certain aspects of his game are very similar.

Lidstrom was the epitome of avoiding physicality (which didn't exactly harm his longevity).

He literally went an entire SC run and threw 1 hit - and that, obviously, while playing huge minutes.

His stick work and positioning were so ridiculously efficient that he could win a Norris without a whiff of physical intimidation/presence - and he didn't win Norris trophies because he was an elite scorer (which arguably he also was) - he won them primarily because he was a suffocating shutdown defenseman.

So I think you are making some valid comparisons. Tanev has that quality of anticipation and intervention in plays that could be considered potentially elite. He is a mental step ahead of most players. He gets to and moves the puck exceptionally well, even when he's physically outmatched by the forecheck. His skating is improving, and his upside is emerging as well imo.

I think it's a fair comparison in many ways - to say he plays a similar style doesn't mean you are claiming he executes that style at the same level (I mean who can really be compared to a guy who was +450 in his career? Only guys like Bobby Orr, Denis Potvin or Ray Bourque...)

Lidstrom was 'only' 6'1" and 191 lbs - defying the stereotype of what a defenseman must be in order to be an elite shutdown blueliner. There are some other guys in the NHL who also make the point - Weaver has been quite an effective shutdown defenseman at 5'10 and 180lbs...

I think people are too hung up on the idea that Tanev (or Corrado for that matter) aren't big enough.

Lidstrom was the epitome of avoiding physicality (which didn't exactly harm his longevity).

He literally went an entire SC run and threw 1 hit - and that, obviously, while playing huge minutes.

His stick work and positioning were so ridiculously efficient that he could win a Norris without a whiff of physical intimidation/presence - and he didn't win Norris trophies because he was an elite scorer (which arguably he also was) - he won them primarily because he was a suffocating shutdown defenseman.

So I think you are making some valid comparisons. Tanev has that quality of anticipation and intervention in plays that could be considered potentially elite. He is a mental step ahead of most players. He gets to and moves the puck exceptionally well, even when he's physically outmatched by the forecheck. His skating is improving, and his upside is emerging as well imo.

I think it's a fair comparison in many ways - to say he plays a similar style doesn't mean you are claiming he executes that style at the same level (I mean who can really be compared to a guy who was +450 in his career? Only guys like Bobby Orr, Denis Potvin or Ray Bourque...)

Lidstrom was 'only' 6'1" and 191 lbs - defying the stereotype of what a defenseman must be in order to be an elite shutdown blueliner. There are some other guys in the NHL who also make the point - Weaver has been quite an effective shutdown defenseman at 5'10 and 180lbs...

I think people are too hung up on the idea that Tanev (or Corrado for that matter) aren't big enough.

Lidstrom had the ability to play the body even if it was not actually hitting. I am talking puck

battles. I do not see that much out of Tanev. He tends to fish the puck out and make the quick pass. He is good at it but a superior fore check could break his game down. Tanev has shown a tremendous ability to learn and improve his game. He has been one of the few positives on Van defence IMHO this season.

Another is Stanton who has returned from injury and not missed much of a beat.

Miller's Crossing

Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News writes that netminder Ryan Miller is unsure about his future with the Sabres. Heading into Wednesday's game against the Pittsburgh Penguins, Miller said, "anything is possible" when pondering if it was his last game in Buffalo. Asked point-blank by The Buffalo News if he's told the Sabres he wants out - or told them he's all-in to talk about a contract extension - Miller remained elusive.

"That's not really something I want to discuss with you guys," he said. "It's a private conversation about a business transaction. Really, that's what it comes down to. I'm waiting to see kind of what the plans are around

here. That would kind of give a little more indication.

"They can't execute anything they might be planning until some time passes, where they make some trades or they have some kind of indication what's going to happen. Even then, there's no guarantee they're going to get everything they want. It's just kind of we'll wait and see."

Harrington also wrote that Sabres GM Tim Murray pretty much confirmed that he's in limbo on dealing Miller as well. Murray said the Sabres are studying options all over their roster but the scuttlebutt around the league is they're getting plenty of inquiries on pending unrestricted free agents Miller, Steve Ott and Matt Moulson, as well as interest in defenceman Henrik Tallinder.

"There are players on the team we're certainly going to go forward with, young guys that they fit what we want to do," Murray said. "In saying that, if a team calls and they absolutely knock your socks off, then I guess I've told a fib by saying we're going to go forward with a certain player and I've traded him. It doesn't look right, but that's my motto. I'm willing to listen on every single player, so I'm certainly listening on Ryan. Is that our plan? I guess we'll see what other teams have to say."

Moving Mike?

While TSN Hockey Insider Bob McKenzie reported Tuesday on Twitter that the Calgary Flames and Mike Cammalleri are "continuing dialogue on new contract," Wes Gilbertson of The Calgary Sun says it would be a surprise if the club's highest-paid player wasn't moved before the deadline.

Staying Focused

Derek Van Diest of The Edmonton Sun writes that Oilers centre Sam Gagner is focused on helping Edmonton win games rather than trade speculation.

"It's something where you try and block it out," Gagner said. "I think it's an easier thing to do the further you are from the trade deadline, but as it creeps up, it's sometimes hard. I think it's important just to focus on your game. I have some things that I need to continue to get better at, and that's something that I'm trying to focus on right now, trying to help this team win games, and hopefully, I can do that heading towards the stretch here."

Deep Freeze

Joe Haggerty of Comcast Sportsnet tweeted out that Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli has had trade talks but doesn't see them making any deals before the Olympic roster freeze.

One or two guys can be small no problem.

Its about the makeup of the team, there should also be big guys! And complimentary pairings.

Our team, considering Edler is 216 lbs and Garrison 220lbs might not be big, but its not overly small at all. Hamhuis is also somewhere around 210 lbs by memory.

Archived