The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. must pay $2M to teachers over class-size court battle

Heretic

I really wish the younger teachers would stop towing the line and wake up to the fact that it's their own old, entitled members that are fracking everything up.

They may be out numbered by those dinosaurs but if they smartened up and decided to work WITH the government I'd be willing to bet this would all work out to the benefit of everyone but the dinosaurs.

I wonder if they could separate and start their own union....? Anyone know the legalities etc?

You guys are funny.

Why is that funny? The older teachers/BCTFbureaucrats with the balance of power are the ones holding back education system reform. You don't see how system reform would benefit the students, young teachers and the province (and hence taxpayers)?

They're literally the only ones who lose in that scenario.

Why is that funny? The older teachers/BCTFbureaucrats with the balance of power are the ones holding back education system reform. You don't see how system reform would benefit the students, young teachers and the province (and hence taxpayers)?

They're literally the only ones who lose in that scenario.

There you go stereotyping again.

My wife would be considered an "older teacher" but she's not holding back the education system.

She's try to bring her experience from the other provinces into this one.

For you to make wild assumptions and then argue against them as though I said them? Yes it is.

I never wrote anything about you saying anything... divert, divert, divert :rolleyes:

There you go stereotyping again.

My wife would be considered an "older teacher" but she's not holding back the education system.

She's try to bring her experience from the other provinces into this one.

To clarify: the under-performing older teachers and the BCTF management who are milking the system. Your wife probably hates them more than I do.

"You don't see how system reform would benefit the students, young teachers and the province (and hence taxpayers)?"

If it smells like an assumption, looks like an assumption, well...

Do you actually have anything to add to the discussion or are you going to simply continue blather?

I never wrote anything about you saying anything... divert, divert, divert :rolleyes:

To clarify: the under-performing older teachers and the BCTF management who are milking the system. Your wife probably hates them more than I do.

Better, but you forgot the Liberal Government for not giving proper funding and instead just telling them to work with what you got as well as pushing for large class sizes.

My wife still can't believe there are schools here without Smart Boards.

BTW: here's what they do in Alberta (which is head and shoulders above BC):

• The suggested provincial guidelines should be:
    • Junior kindergarten to grade 3 - 17 students
    • Grades 4 to 6 - 23 students
    • Grades 7 to 9 - 25 students
    • Grades 10 to 12 - 27 students.

The kindergarten class my wife is teaching has 22 students with 4 being special needs. She does have a EA though and that helps.

I doubt a "young teacher" fresh out of university would be able to handle that.

Better, but you forgot the Liberal Government for not giving proper funding and instead just telling them to work with what you got as well as pushing for large class sizes.

The kindergarten class my wife is teaching has 22 students with 4 being special needs. She does have a EA though and that helps.

I tell ya what. If we start pulling oil and gas out of the ground and selling it on the same scale as Alberta does then we can adopt their education standards.

Until then we will do what we can with the money available......

IMO, there's plenty of funding it's just poorly allocated. Class sizes etc are all just symptoms of a broken system. Fix the system...no more symptoms (or at least, far less).

You're simply trying to treat the symptom, I'd prefer we cure the disease.

IMO, there's plenty of funding it's just poorly allocated. Class sizes etc are all just symptoms of a broken system. Fix the system...no more symptoms.

You're simply trying to treat the symptom, I'd prefer we cure the disease.

Entitlement? Good luck. Though it's enevitable. Just ask the greeks how much fun it is though.....

I tell ya what. If we start pulling oil and gas out of the ground and selling it on the same scale as Alberta does then we can adopt their education standards.

Until then we will do what we can with the money available......

44396810.jpg

275 million dollars a year? She better appeal the decision!

How a union that refuses to budge on the class size issue is somehow negotiating in good faith themselves is a mystery to me.....

are you kidding me? So bargaining for the good of the kids is now a bad thing? you must be a treat at birthday parties

Archived