The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article - is Daniel Sedin Done...

cabinessence

If you simply go by the numbers. Sedins goal pace dropped in half. He was averaging ~35-40g season and last 2 he's on a 20g pace. 2011-12 season he was doing great. Keith hit, following seasons now he's dropped.

Naslund also saw a drop after Moore hit but his numbers were better than Daniels 20g (although Sedins plus minus is much better.

7M per year is what him and henrik are worth on open market. They can still both put up ppg seasons. If Canucks could get a high skilled player with them it may be a catalyst to get them going. Or if they have a good Olympics...

Imagine if they play well at Olympics and come back playing same old here lol

Done? As in "done like dinner"? Are you kidding me? The twins are tied for the team lead in points and are +7 and +9. Meanwhile Kesler, Kassian, Burrows, Edler and Sestito (to name only the obvious offenders) are all at least -6. The Sedins are NOT the problem, believe me...

Patriotic bass solo for Kes...

that's not saying much lol

they're both on pace for around 60 points and they probably won't even get there

Stupid idea. The last thing we need is him playing against a ton of plugs and getting injured. If we had to demote him to motivate him, I'd say at most, put him down 2nd line.

Well he'd likely have two mammoths Lain and Sestito out there to protect him so I wouldn't be too scared. 3rd line could be an option as well. Less physical.

Plus they're playing the Blackhawks tommorow. They aren't so tough

Also, here's some more.

There's so many possible reasons as to why he's struggled slightly.

1. Powerplay.

Over a third of his career goals have come via the PP. Yes, I know that he's only got 13 goals this year, and four of which have come from the powerplay. That's pretty much close to being on that 1/3 pace, but the lack of even strength production can be attributed to this>

2. Burrows is probably more disappointing than Clarkson this year.

It's sad that that's possible.

3. Henrik Sedin seemed to be playing injured for a while, even before the official injury.

Some injury happened post-contract. They're definitely not the type of players to crap the bed on purpose after signing a contract.

4. Jannik Hansen was plugged into Burrows role and that flopped.

Burrows is the only person who can play with these guys. Santorelli can too, but he had a crap month of January. Guess when Daniel's been slumping most? In January.

5. Sedin cycle game might be solved to some level.

^

I don't buy it.

Not comparing directly to Ovi because ages are different (not to mention it Ovi - come on) , but everybody thought Alex was done a few years ago. Now look.

Yeah, Daniel has hit a rough patch, might even be close to P12 rough, but I believe he can bounce back. Maybe he should talk to a sports therapist if it is a mental issue. Confidence is a killer if you don't have any.

Mike Gillis, we love Burrows, but in order to keep the Sedins relevant as they age, you need to give them a TALENTED linemate to gel with. They can't do it all on their own anymore. And Christ, there's no shame in it.

True, and playoff choker Thornton in San Jose had a couple dry years a couple seasons ago and seems to be back to his old regular season stats again. And he's 34 or something like that.

Put him on the 4th line and watch him get creamed by some goon? Great idea.

I wouldn't mind seeing him sit in the press box for a game. Could use the rest, and perhaps we could call up someone.

At this point, I don't really care. There is no way we are making it anywhere in the playoffs, and I'd like to see what the farm can do.

yeah. don't **** with... dennis... ververgertatter?

that's kinda grasping at straws there

I think we're forgetting that Burrows has missed a considerable amount of tap-ins, and he's not scoring goals in any other way. No assists either, just a - player right now. He's been huge for the Sedins. I don't think it's grasping at straws when he hasn't had a productive linemate other than Henrik (who's looked injured) and Santorelli (who got moved to Kesler's wing after being with Daniel for only a short period of time. Albeit, a productive time.)

I think we're forgetting that Burrows has missed a considerable amount of tap-ins, and he's not scoring goals in any other way.

that's what seperates me from the majority on cdc who only look at the G's instead of the whole picture. the guy's only playing 20 something games all year due to injury and all of a sudden, burrows went from one of the most needed guys on the team to, "this guy can't score, what a waste of cap space" while forgetting that the whole team just sucks. we can't help ourselves but to single out one guy. be it burrows, ham"useless", lu, sedin. make up your minds, people

that's what seperates me from the majority on cdc who only look at the G's instead of the whole picture. the guy's only playing 20 something games all year due to injury and all of a sudden, burrows went from one of the most needed guys on the team to, "this guy can't score, what a waste of cap space" while forgetting that the whole team just sucks. we can't help ourselves but to single out one guy. be it burrows, ham"useless", lu, sedin. make up your minds, people

I feel as if I stated how he hasn't produced assists, or been a + player. Even Matt Kassian the enforcer who has 1 pt in 24 games is an even player. He still is one of the most needed guys on the team. Just, we need a 0.5 ppg Burrows at least. Not a 0.15.

I do agree with you that we as a fanbase tend to single out a few guys. Honestly, when he's at this level of production, he deserves to be criticized. People say he's getting to the right spots, or before every game say that he's going to score tonight, but he just.. isn't. The whole team doesn't suck. IMO we're still a top ten team in this league, with some good pieces, but we need to get our top six going consistently.

Ftr, Hamhuis is also goalless in 35 games.

So OP, I'm actually going to show you how you don't know whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis.

Look at other Canuck scorers who have dried up offensively:

First of all, look at all the players you've listed who didn't even play past 30 years old:

Dennis Ververgaert (only played until 28 and started to decline at 24. At 24 Daniel and Henrik hadn't even reached their prime yet!)

Ron Sedlbauer (He only played until 26 or 27? He had one 40G season with the Canucks and prior to that he had two 18G seasons. In his last two NHL seasons he had 22G and 23G)

ThomasGradin (Only played until 30 or 31 and I wonder if Messier's slash to his head that sent him to the hospital and earned him a 6-game suspension back then had anything to do with it?)

Petri Skriko (only played until 30 and declined after 26. At 26, Daniel was just reaching his prime)

Barry Pederson (only played until 30 and his decline started with the Bruins before the Canucks, and his decline started around 24, before Hank or Danny even reached their prime)

TonyTanti (only played until 29 and had 28G in his last season with the Canucks, split with the Pens - two seasons before he left the NHL)

Now let's look at some other players you listed:

Markus Naslund (was on the decline at 32) - His decline started when AV took over as coach. He was getting less ice-time and 4th line duties at times but still putting up 25G seasons.

Geoff Courtnall (he did all right past 32) - yeah he did, including at 31G season at 35 or 36 years of age.

Greg Adams (did all right but declined in early 30s) - you mentioned both but I'll just mention the one who had 19G at 36 & 37 years of age - the same amount he had at 25 years & more than he had at 30 & 31 years old.

Alexander Mogilny did ok for a season in Toronto. - he also did ok for a season with NJ after the Canucks scoring 43G.

So I'm gonna have to aks you:

Archived