The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article - is Daniel Sedin Done...

cabinessence

Colorado now has a better top 2 in Duchene and Landeskrog

Carolina now has a better top 2 in Staal + Skinner.

Teams with worse offense top 2:

Kings (Kopistar + Richards) (by 3 points)

NYR (Zuccarello + Richards) (by 4 points)

Phoenix (Ribeiro + Boedker) (by 7 points)

Nashville (Weber + Legwand)

Buffalo (Hodgson + Ennis)

Calgary (Hudler + Backlund)

Columbus (Johansen + Dubinsky)

Detroit (Zetterberg + Datsyuk)

Florida (Boyes + Barkov)

Wild (Pominville + Koivu)

Habs (Pacioretti + Plekanic)

Devils (Jagr + Elias)

So the Canucks are 17th in their top 2. The Canucks have a middling top two, probably good enough to make the playoffs but no better. What are they paying for their top 2? Kopistar and Richards are getting paid more, as is Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Both are getting less. Pittsburgh and Washington are paying more and getting more.

The Canucks have the 5th highest paid tandem of top 2 players in the league and are getting the 3rd best performance of their top 2 among these 5 highly paid tandems. They are ranked 17th (which is better than Datsyuk + Zetterberg), and slightly above Kopistar + Richards at present.

The Canucks are not getting very good value out of the Sedins, and certainly not for 7 million per.

You also completely missed the point of points are not everything...give them the same offensive zone starts they had a few years ago...Take them off the PK and only have them to score woo points...Much rather have players that can play in any situation then a 1dimensional player that are still + players despite not putting up 90+ points...Look at every stat not just goals and assists they are playing fine and to their contract hate to disappoint the doom and gloom

Hello? Who mentioned bass guitar, I ask you once again? So you wish to add excuses, fine. Bottom line is his point production decreased and he never got it back. Injuries happen, but you can treat his production with an asterisk.Or maybe they should allow people extra points in the art ross race if they have injuries, give teams extra point if they have injuries. You lose big time again and will not get a bass solo...ok maybe one.

Umm if you are out of the lineup you are not getting points, when you come back fom injury, you never start off playing like when you left. figure it out bass man! Did you even follow the team back then, I can't imagine you did.

You also completely missed the point of points are not everything...give them the same offensive zone starts they had a few years ago...Take them off the PK and only have them to score woo points...Much rather have players that can play in any situation then a 1dimensional player that are still + players despite not putting up 90+ points...Look at every stat not just goals and assists they are playing fine and to their contract hate to disappoint the doom and gloom

We have players that are 2 way. Kesler, Hansen, Burrows, Higgins, Santorelli etc. Most of the team is made up of solid 2 way players. What we don't have are snipers.

Also - look at the standings. This is a gamble. If it doesn't work, then the experiment needs to end and we go back to what works for the Sedins. Also, look at the PP. I am not sure that giving the Sedins 100 percent offensive stats is going to help the team, because I'm not sure that giving them the easy minutes is going to jumpstart their game. And at 7 per, they are locked in as the starting line for the next 4 years, not supporting cast.

So far the experiment has been a failure.

We have players that are 2 way. Kesler, Hansen, Burrows, Higgins, Santorelli etc. Most of the team is made up of solid 2 way players. What we don't have are snipers.

Also - look at the standings. This is a gamble. If it doesn't work, then the experiment needs to end and we go back to what works for the Sedins. Also, look at the PP. I am not sure that giving the Sedins 100 percent offensive stats is going to help the team, because I'm not sure that giving them the easy minutes is going to jumpstart their game. And at 7 per, they are locked in as the starting line for the next 4 years, not supporting cast.

So far the experiment has been a failure.

But its working their good players on the full ice so sorry the twins are not producing mega points...+/- is not the best way to judge a player but Kesler and Burrows are -7...Daniel and Henrik are +8 and +7 2nd and 3rd on team for forwards...It is working not their fault Kesler is also slumping as is Burrows...Only forward not slumping right now is Higgins when comes to offence

Now keeping that in mind there is no trade to make this year with all the injuries at every position we don't have strong enough depth particularly at wing and defence so as I and many others have said this year is a throw away don't expect blockbuster deals every other week

We all know how much Danny is struggling to score goals, but it wasn't until I saw this stat that it really hit home for me:

"Since March 21st, 2012 Daniel has lit the lamp a measly 25 times in 107 games. As a frame of reference, David Booth has scored 22 goals in 106 games as a Canuck, and consistently gets skewered for it."

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/1/29/the-elephant-in-the-room-daniel-sedins-scoring-woes

Yikes.

This. This is scary.

And we have them for the next 4 years at 7M each....

Oh man... I hope this is indeed a slump that when Hank comes back things will be better again.

Umm if you are out of the lineup you are not getting points, when you come back fom injury, you never start off playing like when you left. figure it out bass man! Did you even follow the team back then, I can't imagine you did.

Wow, you just don't get it, do you? Linden's point production decreased from the md 90s. Are you denying it? There are reasons behind it, but the fact is the points decreased. Injuries are a part of the game and part of the reason a lot of players stop producing as they did when younger. Injuries may very well have take a toll on Kesler, Burrows, and The Sedins. You fail to realize that when Linden's points started going down there were others brought in to take on more of a scoring role. Now it seems it is a waiting game to see when and if the leaders of the past will regain their respective scoring prowess. That's three losses in a row.....three strikes...you're out, cue bass solo!!

The twins have always been worth more than the sum of their individual parts. They've proven everyone wrong their entire careers and I expect them to keep doing so.

For what they've given me (as a Fan), their team, and their community - I've got no problems giving them a 'pass' on this season no matter how it eventually turns out.

Name any other player of similar calibre who didn't experience up/down's in their career?

You haven't got a clue what happened back then you are looking foolish now. Linden had 40 points in 49 games and before his knee was blown out after 20 games or so was on pace for his highest totals yet.

Next year was the Keenan fiasco and him getting traded, then his offence was over but he never backed down from anyone as you claim. I doubt you even watched hockey then from your ill informed comments and lack of knowledge from that time. Your bass solo is very out of tune!

The twins have always been worth more than the sum of their individual parts. They've proven everyone wrong their entire careers and I expect them to keep doing so.

For what they've given me (as a Fan), their team, and their community - I've got no problems giving them a 'pass' on this season no matter how it eventually turns out.

Name any other player of similar calibre who didn't experience up/down's in their career?

The main problem coming up is with the lack of production comes with a top player salary contract that handcuffs the team.

We all know how much Danny is struggling to score goals, but it wasn't until I saw this stat that it really hit home for me:

"Since March 21st, 2012 Daniel has lit the lamp a measly 25 times in 107 games. As a frame of reference, David Booth has scored 22 goals in 106 games as a Canuck, and consistently gets skewered for it."

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/1/29/the-elephant-in-the-room-daniel-sedins-scoring-woes

Yikes.

Yeesh, that's pretty bad. Booth is constantly hurt and getting moved up down, in and outta the lineup too.

Yeesh, that's pretty bad. Booth is constantly hurt and getting moved up down, in and outta the lineup too.

Booth isn't the face of the franchise who carried the team on his back (with his brother) for the better part of 5 years taking the team to within a hair of the holy grail.....for that IMO, Sedin gets a pass (for now) while Booth needs to perform!

hes not really.... the guy has only ever scored over 26 goals once in his career hes on pace for 27 .... people need to wake up and realize the guy had a 1 off season hes not a 30+ goal scorer....

Bingo !! I've said this same thing again and again but people don't want to believe it

As for Daniel... I don't think he's done yet. He's got plenty left in the tank, they just need to play a more offensive system. But to do that we need offensive players, we have wayyyy too many bottom 6 forwards on this team

Interesting article from The Province on Daniel being done as a scorer.

http://www.theprovin...1985/story.html

Look at other Canuck scorers who have dried up offensively:

Andre Boudrias

Dennis Ververgaert

Markus Naslund (was on the decline at 32)

Stan Smyl

Trevor Linden

Ron Sedlbauer

ThomasGradin

Greg Adams

Geoff Courtnall (he did all right past 32)

Russ Courtnall (major decline at 31)

Greg Adams (did all right but declined in early 30s)

Petri Skriko

Barry Pederson

TonyTanti

Alexander Mogilny did ok for a season in Toronto.

Why are you shocked Daniel would be an anomaly?

Cue a major bass solo!!!!!

If Daniel is done as a scorer (which I do not believe is the case) then extend his career by making him the 2C.

If Daniel is done as a scorer (which I do not believe is the case) then extend his career by making him the 2c

Yep I also agree with this. I'd trade some core to get youth so the Sedins can groom them into top line players next year. Sedins maybe have 2 years max at 1st liners. They would make an excellent 2nd line right now

Kings have 0 in the top 30

Coyotes?

Avalanche?

And how is having 2 in the top 30 working for Edmonton? Winnipeg? Washington?

There is more then 1 end of the ice the Sedins are playing the best 2way game in their careers...Stop looking only at points to determine a players value/importance on the ice

The Kings can get away with that because they're defensive power houses...

Not only can we not score but we're bleeding goals against now too... and we're not built to play super tight defensive 2-1, 3-2 games all the time.

Archived