The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Province Article - is Daniel Sedin Done...

cabinessence

Very few players perform at the highest level into their mid thirties, a decline is expected. Anyone remember how good Lecavalier was in his prime?

Not everyone is a Martin St. Louis kind of player.

Agreed, the sedins look significantly slower already. I noticed last night when the pace dialed up a couple notches last night, Danny sure looked slow....they're puck movement is way slower too, which is throwing them off. I think the long dark days are gonna get here sooner than we think.

This almost says it all:

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/1/17/are-the-sedin-twins-old-and-useless-now-well-no-but

They are not going to be 100 point players at this age, and will decline from point per game to 50-60.

Problem is there is nobody to step up - we have no 100 point player on this team. Nobody who could score 40 goals let alone 50.

I blame the Nonis drafting - Perron would be nice right now! MG drafting has shown more promise, but those players - kass and schr are still a year/2 away from realizing potential

So

1. What else do u expect? This is a lull in quality cause of drafting and trading picks for garbage.

2. Quit expecting sedins to be supermen - they are in a normal trajectory for star players. They are here to mentor the young players and transition now and next 4 years - not to lead the team in scoring. That they still do lead the team is a problem.

3. Kesler was never the offensive star, more like a toews defensive star - if we had a Kane to play with him...

4. So enjoy the game for its own sake, it is still fun to watch - but the focus should be on how the team develops and how the young players fit in over the next few years. Really not much choice is there? Focus on the next core and see if we can rebuild without sucking completely!

All i know is that right now, we have lots of dead weight locked up right now in the Sedins, and Burrows. Not playing like a first line, and that's a problem, because our depth doesn't get any better. You have Higgins, contributing more than expected, Burrows doing nothing, Hansen doing nothing, and then Booth. The only forwards i'm happy with right now are Kesler, Higgins, Santorelli, Weise, Richardson, Sestito and maybe Dalpe/Schroeder.

We need to get somebody who can bring life back to the sedins, or the next few years are a wash.

Daniel-Henrik - ___________

______-Kesler-____________

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Booth-Richardson-Weise

We need some house cleaning..i'd actually like to keep booth, if we can. Then resign him at a lower cost. If you look at the depth of good teams, that's about par for the course. i'd unload burrows if he doesn't pick up this year, and retain some salary(35%).

I really want our youth to start stepping in.

Daniel-Henrik

Burrows worked well with them till all the injuries started

That's the problem, he worked too well with them. And because of that it masked what this team truely needed and at the same time gave Burrows a contract that now seems a tad overpriced.

Rovert Linden? There were times during his career where he was called a tin man. Remember him ducking Tzchchuck (sp) and allowing Claude Lemieux to rag doll him at home? I liked him a lot but his time as a player is not without criticism. So yes we can call him Rovert from time to time.

No I don't remember that. What I do remember is this guy giving his heart and soul for this team every god damn day. Every athelete in sports declines with age, not to mention Linden's decline coinsided with the dead-puck era so this thread is severly lacking substance.

Tre Mac, you maybe haven't watched the Canucks that long if you don't remember those. Yes he did give his heart and soul but did have moments of allowing sand to be kicked in his eyes. His best game ever must have been a 6 point night vs the Oilers in a 7-4 win where the more he got hit the more offence he produced. Linden's offence did decline but the thing about that is the club didn't just keep him as a first liner and say hey, he got 80 points before, he will come back. They redefined his role. With the team now it seems they figure that since certain levels were reached before they will be achieved again.

So on your comment.......CUE BASS SOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are ignoring the best contract of all, maybe by accident.

Brad Richards.

And the irony is, Brad Richards, the guy who has been one of the main buyout candidates recently, scratched by torts, etc. have the same number of goals as Daniel, and only two fewer points,

We all know how much Danny is struggling to score goals, but it wasn't until I saw this stat that it really hit home for me:

"Since March 21st, 2012 Daniel has lit the lamp a measly 25 times in 107 games. As a frame of reference, David Booth has scored 22 goals in 106 games as a Canuck, and consistently gets skewered for it."

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/1/29/the-elephant-in-the-room-daniel-sedins-scoring-woes

Yikes.

Tre Mac, you maybe haven't watched the Canucks that long if you don't remember those. Yes he did give his heart and soul but did have moments of allowing sand to be kicked in his eyes. His best game ever must have been a 6 point night vs the Oilers in a 7-4 win where the more he got hit the more offence he produced. Linden's offence did decline but the thing about that is the club didn't just keep him as a first liner and say hey, he got 80 points before, he will come back. They redefined his role. With the team now it seems they figure that since certain levels were reached before they will be achieved again.

So on your comment.......CUE BASS SOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're out to lunch... Unless you are talking about after Linden's return to Van or his time with the Capitals. Stick to playing your bass guitar !

Yeah that Linden guy really fell off the mark, didn't he? Don't even remember him.
He also wasn't getting paid 7 million a year. And his team made playoffs when they weren't expected to do anything. As for the drafting - plenty of players have left, Umberger, Hodgson. Would be nice to have them right about now. We chose to keep other players rather than them. RIghtly or wrongly. Canucks are in a huge slump. I did an analysis awhile back, and the Canucks don't have a number one. They have zero players in the top 30, and two in the top 45. The Canucks have a surfeit of true talent, and that was before this more recent slump, and that one looks at points, not just goals. Henrik was doing well, as a number 2 player, not as a number 1. The canucks have 2 number 2 players and that's it for the first line.

You are not going to beat many teams when you have a serious talent deficit in your first line. Not in today's NHL. As for the Defense, it's not the D that's the problem. The problem is right on the Sedins.

You're out to lunch... Unless you are talking about after Linden's return to Van or his time with the Capitals. Stick to playing your bass guitar !

First of all, who ever mentioned bass guitar??? Second of all, how is the statement out to lunch? Linden'

s points declined from a peak in 1996 of 80, to 40 (49 games the next season),38,47...he never got more than 41 again. But notice when he was declining in points that there were others ahead of him to be counted on for offence - in 96/97 Mike Ridley at Centre and in 1997/99 Mark Messier (Van), and Robert Reichel/Bryan Smolinski (NYI). Here it seems as playes lose their point production they have waited to long to have others take on the role. So, for you, you lose...cue bass solo!!

He also wasn't getting paid 7 million a year. And his team made playoffs when they weren't expected to do anything. As for the drafting - plenty of players have left, Umberger, Hodgson. Would be nice to have them right about now. We chose to keep other players rather than them. RIghtly or wrongly. Canucks are in a huge slump. I did an analysis awhile back, and the Canucks don't have a number one. They have zero players in the top 30, and two in the top 45. The Canucks have a surfeit of true talent, and that was before this more recent slump, and that one looks at points, not just goals. Henrik was doing well, as a number 2 player, not as a number 1. The canucks have 2 number 2 players and that's it for the first line.

You are not going to beat many teams when you have a serious talent deficit in your first line. Not in today's NHL. As for the Defense, it's not the D that's the problem. The problem is right on the Sedins.

Kings have 0 in the top 30

Coyotes?

Avalanche?

And how is having 2 in the top 30 working for Edmonton? Winnipeg? Washington?

There is more then 1 end of the ice the Sedins are playing the best 2way game in their careers...Stop looking only at points to determine a players value/importance on the ice

First of all, who ever mentioned bass guitar??? Second of all, how is the statement out to lunch? Linden'

s points declined from a peak in 1996 of 80, to 40 (49 games the next season),38,47...he never got more than 41 again. But notice when he was declining in points that there were others ahead of him to be counted on for offence - in 96/97 Mike Ridley at Centre and in 1997/99 Mark Messier (Van), and Robert Reichel/Bryan Smolinski (NYI). Here it seems as playes lose their point production they have waited to long to have others take on the role. So, for you, you lose...cue bass solo!!

40 points as in the year he played for Team Canada and then blew out his knee early in the season? Or the next year where he had to deal with a pulled groin and then was under Keenan's wrath after coming back ? He was selected for the Olympic team by guys who don't cue bass solo's! Stick to the bass guitar your hockey memories are very weak

By ranking,

40/40/34/31/28

Daniel/ Henrik Sedin.

(47) / (50) / (87) / 108 / 140

worst NHL team:

30/ 60 / 90 / 120

avg NHL Team:

15/ 45/ 75 / 105 / 145

(-32), (-5), (-12), (-3), (+5)

The Canucks have 2 slightly below average NHL number (2) players, (the Sedins), a slightly below average number 3 player (Kesler), a slightly below average number 4 player (Higgins), and a slightly above average number 5 player (Santorelli).

Points off from average:

(-12), (-1), (-2), (-1).

What the Canucks lack is a Toews type player.

Chicago has:

Teows, Kane, Sharp, Keith and Hossa. 5 of the top 25.

San Jose has:

Marleau, Pavelski and Thornton

Anaheim has Getzlaf and Perry.

Pittsburgh has Crosby, Kunitz, Malkin,

Islanders have Tavares, and Okposo

Edmonton has Hall and Eberle

Dallas has Seguin and Benn

Washington has Backstrom and Ovie

Kings have 0 in the top 30

Coyotes?

Avalanche?

And how is having 2 in the top 30 working for Edmonton? Winnipeg? Washington?

There is more then 1 end of the ice the Sedins are playing the best 2way game in their careers...Stop looking only at points to determine a players value/importance on the ice

Colorado now has a better top 2 in Duchene and Landeskrog

Carolina now has a better top 2 in Staal + Skinner.

Teams with worse offense top 2:

Kings (Kopistar + Richards) (by 3 points)

NYR (Zuccarello + Richards) (by 4 points)

Phoenix (Ribeiro + Boedker) (by 7 points)

Nashville (Weber + Legwand)

Buffalo (Hodgson + Ennis)

Calgary (Hudler + Backlund)

Columbus (Johansen + Dubinsky)

Detroit (Zetterberg + Datsyuk)

Florida (Boyes + Barkov)

Wild (Pominville + Koivu)

Habs (Pacioretti + Plekanic)

Devils (Jagr + Elias)

So the Canucks are 17th in their top 2. The Canucks have a middling top two, probably good enough to make the playoffs but no better. What are they paying for their top 2? Kopistar and Richards are getting paid more, as is Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Both are getting less. Pittsburgh and Washington are paying more and getting more.

The Canucks have the 5th highest paid tandem of top 2 players in the league and are getting the 3rd best performance of their top 2 among these 5 highly paid tandems. They are ranked 17th (which is better than Datsyuk + Zetterberg), and slightly above Kopistar + Richards at present.

The Canucks are not getting very good value out of the Sedins, and certainly not for 7 million per.

40 points as in the year he played for Team Canada and then blew out his knee early in the season? Or the next year where he had to deal with a pulled groin and then was under Keenan's wrath after coming back ? He was selected for the Olympic team by guys who don't cue bass solo's! Stick to the bass guitar your hockey memories are very weak

Hello? Who mentioned bass guitar, I ask you once again? So you wish to add excuses, fine. Bottom line is his point production decreased and he never got it back. Injuries happen, but you can treat his production with an asterisk.Or maybe they should allow people extra points in the art ross race if they have injuries, give teams extra point if they have injuries. You lose big time again and will not get a bass solo...ok maybe one.

We all know how much Danny is struggling to score goals, but it wasn't until I saw this stat that it really hit home for me:

"Since March 21st, 2012 Daniel has lit the lamp a measly 25 times in 107 games. As a frame of reference, David Booth has scored 22 goals in 106 games as a Canuck, and consistently gets skewered for it."

http://canucksarmy.com/2014/1/29/the-elephant-in-the-room-daniel-sedins-scoring-woes

Yikes.

Dagger to the heart...

Archived